Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #14557
Freeze is coming - HELP!

Apologies since I am brand new to RVing, have had the Freedom Elite 26HE for just a couple of weeks, parked in driveway and plugged into 20A house outlet while I learn about all of the systems.

We are expecting a couple of nights in the low to mid 20s next week, and highs in the 40s, and the RV is not winterized. I put a few gallons of water into the tank just to "practice" using the 12V pump. My question is, if I keep the propane heat (and a space heater) going during those two cold days next week do you think I can squeak by without fully draining everything and winterizing with antifreeze in the water tank?

Old 02-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I would guess you'd be OK. That's what I do (Atlanta) for the few days the temps drop below freezing, then back above freezing the next day. Set the furnace at 40 or so. Anything higher will eat your propane fast. Open all cabinet doors under sinks, etc. Make sure your power supply can handle a portable heater. If it's gonna freeze for 2 or more days never reaching above 32, I would winterize it. It's very easy and cheap to do. If all you have in your tank is water...drain it on the ground and add a gallon of RV antifreeze once empty. Also, pour a little antifreeze in the sink traps, toilet bowls, etc. If anyone has used the potty (don't lie), pour a gallon or two of antifreeze into the black tanks also.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The furnace uses a lot of propane... If you can rely more on electric heaters: it might make things easier.
Good luck, and please let us know how this experiment goes!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #4

THOR #14557
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I would guess you'd be OK. That's what I do (Atlanta) for the few days the temps drop below freezing, then back above freezing the next day. Set the furnace at 40 or so. Anything higher will eat your propane fast. Open all cabinet doors under sinks, etc. Make sure your power supply can handle a portable heater. If it's gonna freeze for 2 or more days never reaching above 32, I would winterize it. It's very easy and cheap to do. If all you have in your tank is water...drain it on the ground and add a gallon of RV antifreeze once empty. Also, pour a little antifreeze in the sink traps, toilet bowls, etc. If anyone has used the potty (don't lie), pour a gallon or two of antifreeze into the black tanks also.
Thanks all for the RAPID replies - I'll keep the propane furnace set for reasonable temp, supplemented by a space heater and maybe some RV antifreeze into the black tank (and yes, it's been "tested"). I've tested the space heater and had no issues with my 20A house outlet connection. I also tested the roof A/C unit (by itself, of course!) with this setup, and while there is some voltage drop from the extension cord resistance (from 118 to 108 V in worst case scenario with A/C or space heater running), I should be fine.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

THOR #11130
Where in GA are you?
Old 02-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
You want to be sure the battery charger or anything else that might trip your circuit breaker isn't enabled as the increase in current might trip your breaker
Old 02-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #7

THOR #14557
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Where in GA are you?
Athens area. So weather pretty much the same as Atlanta.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #8

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
I'm not familiar with your model. But- If it has enclosed tanks heated by the propane heater, keeping your furnace running will protect the tanks. Some have heat pads for the tanks that may need to be turned on.( Not as common).
I would set the propane furnace a little higher, 50-55 and not use a space heater, this would get more heat into the tank compartments.
When living in the RV I use a space heater for more even heat and to keep areas more comfortable, bedroom or cabin. In Florida I don't winterize and use the furnace without problems and it does get into the low 20's upper teens in NW Florida.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #12210
How do I drain the fresh water tank on a Quantum km24?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You might find a drain plug somewhere near the bottom edge of your rig, and right close to the freshwater tank fill...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #11

State: California
THOR #12210
Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 03-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
What he said...has worked for us for years. Never had a freeze problem doing this.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:26 AM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I had a 2017 Freedom Elite 26HE and it’s a wonderful coach. You’ll like it! Perhaps it’s more than you want to do right now but winterizing is a cheap and easy 15 minute job. It’s good to practice that skill too - both winterizing and unwinterizing. Start by finding the water heater bypass valve at the back of the heater under the kitchen sink and close it. Then from the outside remove the drain plug from the bottom of the heater. Buy two gallons of the pink antifreeze then look under the front dinette seat cushion. You’ll find a clear plastic hose that has a plug in one end and is attached to a valve in the floor. The valve selects between drawing water from the tank and the plugged hose. Switch the valve to the hose then stick the hose in the bottle of antifreeze and operate each faucet (and the toilet)until it flows pink. It’s a simple coach with just the two faucets, shower and toilet. Unwinterizing just takes switching the valves back and running fresh water. Sounds harder than it is. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #14

THOR #11130
The temps in the region of the OP are now predicted to not drop as low as previous forecast...and only for a short time, over two days, with highs in the 40's. All should be well with just a little added heat.