Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Indiana
THOR #1477
Tire Prsuures Increasing...

Very strange situation yesterday, thoughts welcome...

So, yesterday I took my Claas C into my local Ford Dealer to have my new DuallyValves installed on my rear tires. Finding a garage to actually do that work was really hard, but that's a whole different thread.

Anyway, MH is brand new for us and after the installation we took it out on a maiden road trip to put some miles on it and have the DW get some road time behind the wheel. When I picked it up from Ford we went home and loaded the doggies for a day on the road. While there I double-checked the pressure in all the tires and put on my TPMS a modules on all the tires. Pressure was dead on 80psi in each tire.

Took off and about 30 miles down the highway my TPMS alert went off showing over-pressure on the right rear outer tire. I pulled over to check the tire and sure enough the pressure reading on the TPMS monitor was right...88psi.

While pulled over, I checked all the tires again and all 4 rear axle tires were at 88psi. What the ? Tires temps were all showing about 70 degrees, so no overheating here.

How did all the tires increase nearly exactly 8 lbs in 30 miles? I've never heard of something like this in 30+yrs of driving. Has anyone ever seen this amount of change? I dropped the pressure back down to 80psi and we put another 300 miles on it with no problems or change in the pressures.

What would cause this? Any help?

Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Indiana
THOR #1477
Never mind! Figured it out on a similar post I put on Forest River Forum. I'd set my TPMS to alert at a 10% increase, where it should be 20%. The 10% rise in "hot" tires was normal after all.
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
On a hot day you will see a significant increase in tire pressure as well as tire temperature. There will also be a difference between the tires on the sunny side compared to the tires running on the the shady side.

Before I switched to nitrogen, I would get a slow leak alarm when I stopped for a break. The tires would cool so fast that the TPMS would be triggered.

Bruce