Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 03:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw38RB
State: Colorado
THOR #14374
Furnace not lighting

Hi all, I've got a bit of a situation I hope someone can help me with. We are currently camping in our 18' Outlaw 37RB and the furnace will not light tonight. The blower turns on and I hear it clicking away but it will not ignite. I have plenty of propane and to verify I switched the hot water heater over to gas and it lite right up.
So far I've disconnected shore power, shut down the main switch to reset power to the whole rig, cussed and swore. Nothing has helped. Any help beyond this is appreciated. It's going to be cold tonight.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:31 AM   #2

THOR #14374
Maybe fixed?

Well, I was able to pull the outside cover from the furnace and found a reset switch. I have heat again. We'll see for how long?????
Old 02-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
Well, I was able to pull the outside cover from the furnace and found a reset switch. I have heat again. We'll see for how long?????
Till the circuit board gets wet again.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #4

THOR #14374
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Till the circuit board gets wet again.

Where is the circuit board located and hoe does it get wet? We did have a few days of hard rain but the heater worked fine then and it has not rained for 2 days now.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Located inside the cover where you found the reset switch. It gets wet from water leaking in around the flange of the outside cover between the body and the flange. It only takes a few drops. Reseal the flange where it meets the body.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #6

THOR #14374
Thank You!

Ok, good to know. That will be the next project after I get my refrigerator cooling again!! It's been a busy week with this MH...........
Old 02-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #7

State: Kansas
THOR #14456
Quote:
Hi all, I've got a bit of a situation I hope someone can help me with. We are currently camping in our 18' Outlaw 37RB and the furnace will not light tonight. The blower turns on and I hear it clicking away but it will not ignite. I have plenty of propane and to verify I switched the hot water heater over to gas and it lite right up.

So far I've disconnected shore power, shut down the main switch to reset power to the whole rig, cussed and swore. Nothing has helped. Any help beyond this is appreciated. It's going to be cold tonight.

I had similar problem with my 2018 Thor ACE 27.2. Blower came on for 30 seconds and then shut off. Had an mobile RV service come to my campsite and found out it was the sail switch. They told me this season has been rampant with this problem. Said the manufacturer of the sail switch in the Atwood heater (Dometic) has faulty switches. Originally the tech found the re-set button was off. But to be safe he ordered a new switch by a different manufacturer and it fixed the problem. Hope this might help. God Bless.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #8

THOR #14374
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetdude View Post
I had similar problem with my 2018 Thor ACE 27.2. Blower came on for 30 seconds and then shut off. Had an mobile RV service come to my campsite and found out it was the sail switch. They told me this season has been rampant with this problem. Said the manufacturer of the sail switch in the Atwood heater (Dometic) has faulty switches. Originally the tech found the re-set button was off. But to be safe he ordered a new switch by a different manufacturer and it fixed the problem. Hope this might help. God Bless.

Thanks for the suggestion, I really have no idea what’s going on! It lights fine 90% of the time. The situations where it won’t light the blower comes on and I hear the igniter clicking. It tries 3 times then shuts down. I’ll then turn off the furnace at the thermostat and switch it back on. Then it lights right up. I’ll also note that we’ve never woken up in the morning to a cold coach. The furnace is always running in the early AM!
I really don’t want to pay a tech (or do myself) to just throw parts at it. Because it’s so random I’m guessing it would not happen when the tech is here.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I really have no idea what’s going on! It lights fine 90% of the time. The situations where it won’t light the blower comes on and I hear the igniter clicking. It tries 3 times then shuts down. I’ll then turn off the furnace at the thermostat and switch it back on. Then it lights right up. I’ll also note that we’ve never woken up in the morning to a cold coach. The furnace is always running in the early AM!
I really don’t want to pay a tech (or do myself) to just throw parts at it. Because it’s so random I’m guessing it would not happen when the tech is here.
I just came from your place. Get a new board - pronto - or get to a warmer climate. Trust me when I write you WILL be replacing it. Please read what others have to say and what follows carefully.

Water will sit on the mounting shelf and come in contact with the underside of the board. In my case. it crossed 4 solder points and blew out the board. Get a Fan 50 Plus Pins Dinosaur replacement board. They have a 3yr limited warranty and are a direct replacement for the Atwood 35101 (new style board).

HOWEVER, the dinosaur board uses 4 small metal 'raised' legs to beep the board raised off the mounting shelf so it has much less chance of coming in contact with water. This poses a small but fixable problem: The fuse in the rear of the board comes in contact with some mounting screws and has to be bent 'SLIGHTLY' forward so the mounting screw (in the front) realigns with the mount point (hole).

Sorry, no pics. If the above is not clear, please ask for clarification.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...lin-16188.html