Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2018, 01:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
Satellite

I have a new satellite on my RV now. Can I take the new Directv box from the RV and use it at home to download all my save programs from my home system and then put it back in the RV and watch those downloaded program. Sorry for the run on sentence.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:02 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: New York
THOR #7582
I have a dish on my RV but I use a computer to put a bunch of TV shows and movies on a thumb drive that I plug it into the TV. A 64GB drive will hold 50+ movies. I find it easier, cheaper and more flexible than using a satellite DVR and I'm not limited to what's on satellite. There are a ton of videos out there. All you have to do is look.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Lin

Model: Palazzo
State: Arkansas
THOR #7667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusjay View Post
I have a new satellite on my RV now. Can I take the new Directv box from the RV and use it at home to download all my save programs from my home system and then put it back in the RV and watch those downloaded program. Sorry for the run on sentence.
Very interested in this did you talk to DIRECTV about moving the box? I would be very interested in doing this...
Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Very interested in this did you talk to DIRECTV about moving the box? I would be very interested in doing this...
You either paid for the box or you are renting it, so yes you can take it anyplace you want. When we were part time we took our main DirectTV DVR box with us in the MH and just used antenna for local channels while traveling.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
The answer to the original question is "it depends." It depends on the model of receiver you have for your RV and whether or not you can make sure it will work with the house antenna (which is typically fixed in place.) Most likely it WILL work, but it may take a few "check switch" adjustments to get the receiver set up for the home and then set it back to the RV antenna. I believe that DirecTV has a website where you can check for compatibility as well as get the settings you will need to add the receiver to your home network. We are no longer DirecTV subscribers so I can't go beyond in detail, but I am pretty sure you can do what you are wanting to.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote