Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Minnesota
THOR #679
Gas Fill Problems on Ford E-Series Chassis

I've had the gas fill problems on our Four Winds 28z that seem to plague many motorhomes with the Ford E-Series chassis. I got underneath today and took a look at the gas fill pipe and vent tube, and found that the fill and vent tube don't match up between the gas tank and the fill on the outside of the MH. It is bridged by a short rubber tube that appears to have a twist in it. Anyone else see something like this? Has anyone had it repaired successfully? A picture should be below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-19 12.03.55.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	76  

Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
That isn't a very professional looking connection, is it?
I would think just about any shop could fix that pretty easy. You should take that photo with you and go hunting for a repair man. Unless it's something you would feel comfortable tackling yourself.
Keep us informed how it goes.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Wow. That doesn't look like a good setup. I would first try contacting the dealership and then ford to try to get it fixed under warranty. If that fails then I would follow Lloyds suggestion above. If this is a common issue then it may be something to get nhtsa involved in so that if enough people have the same issue, a recall or tech update bulletin or whatever can be issued.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Minnesota
THOR #679
I've sent an email to Thor Customer Service. I would rather not take the rig to the service center and have them scratch their heads for a week before Thor gets back to them and authorizes/tells them the fix. I'll see how it works out.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds (31Z) on E-450
State: Maryland
THOR #701
If it were mine, I'd just replace the fuel lines with fresh lines assuring the replacements aren't kinked. It should be a quick, easy, fairly cheap fix.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:09 AM   #6

Model: chateau
State: Ohio
THOR #783
Our 26' chateau has problem when fueling also with Chevy engine nozzle won't go in far and kicks off easy having to restart pumping never looked under to see if a problem but will now.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:10 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 22e
State: New York
THOR #1106
Gas fill

When I picked up my 2013 Chateau 22e,it only had about 3/4 of a tank. Didnt think too much about it till I went to top it off after driving about 200 miles. Couldn't get 2 gallons in it.
Brought it back home,took a look under,the tank was from Chevy,altered to fit the coach.Hoses were twisted,routed over/under crosmembers. After proper routing,no uphill grades to tank(took out about a foot of hose)It takes gas like a thirsty puppy,
Old 09-13-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I have not had that problem with my 28Z. What year is yours?

From your photo, what looks like possibly a ground wire looks to be cutting off the flow in the vent tube, or at least severely restricting flow. If it were me - and yes, I know that the factory should have done a better job - I'd attempt to restore some of the air flow especially in the vent tube.

It should not take more than a few minutes to fix, and it would be much better than waiting for months getting the dealer/factory to fix it. Even then - after waiting - they might do a crappy job in repairing it.

Looks like the metal tube on the left side could use some alignment too. Be careful though if you attempt to bend it, as you could end up crushing the tube. There are inexpensive spring type tube benders you might be able to use though.

Also, if you decide to replace the hose, there are hoses specifically designed for fuel. Regular rubber hoses could crack and leak gas in a few years.

On the other hand, if you are not comfortable with doing this sort of thing, you may not want to mess with gas, but I agree with Lloyd, almost any competent shop could fix it in very short order.

I'll have to look under my 28Z and see what it looks like - I am curious.

My only issue with filling my coach these days is my checkbook.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I checked my fuel filler and it looks pretty similar to yours, except mine is not twisted and seems a bit more aligned. So design-wise, seems not much has changed since 2011.

However, I am not having any issues with filling my tank (other than paying for it), so I'd bet if you get the kinks out of the hoses, it will work properly.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #10

Model: 31L
State: Arizona
THOR #1602
HI, I have a 2015 Thor Class C Model 31L and I have the same issue filling the tank. It takes roughly 20 minutes to put 10 gallons of gas in the tank. That relates to over an hour to fill an empty 55 gallon tank. Camping world currently has the coach and is "supposed" to be working on it. That was 3 1/2 weeks ago and I still don't have the coach back. Will see what happens.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:55 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #1532
Thor did this on the Four Winds Super C's too. It's a common complaint. You would think maybe one or two twisted fuel lines might occur, but no... they seem to twist all of them. As someone stated above, I was none too happy when I was in the middle of nowhere trying to get diesel into the tank and couldn't get more than a gallon or two after trying for 15 minutes.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds (31Z) on E-450
State: Maryland
THOR #701
Please let us know what you find out from Camping World. Curious mind want to know!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:33 AM   #13

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
My Hurricane is the same but not twisted! Good catch!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #14

Model: Challenger/37ND
State: Texas
THOR #1706
wow, good to know info. Mine's at Campers World (New Braunfels, Tx) now for some warranty work so while its there I'll have them check, just in case. But I've had no problems at all filling it up.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #15

THOR #1602
Hi, heard back from Camping World in regards to the slow fuel problem. Here is their take on the deal. CW says they checked other 31L Class C coaches and they all look the same as mine. The service adviser said it is just a problem you have to live with. LOL!! So if every coach came with a flat tire.....every one would have to live with that also. I called Thor Customer Service and talked with two very nice people. The first lady could not believe a coach was delivered in that condition and never heard of the problem before. I told her to check the Thor Forums to see how many unhappy people have this problem. The next person at Thor was a Technical adviser and was very helpful in regards to the problem and seemed to understand the problem. He was going to call CW after our phone call. Still waiting on that. It seems the problem is two fold. Ford delivers the chassis with a 6 inch stub on the fuel tank. Thor then removes the stub and replaces it with a hose connection to the house and tank. Now....CW says this problem is Ford's and Ford says the problem lies with Thor. It seems the gas tank hose is considered an emission part and CW won't touch it. Ford says it is not an "original" Ford emission part and won't touch it either. So....the poor consumer gets it in the shorts again!! This may get interesting before a fix is done. More as this develops.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:34 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
This is from the Ford Body Builder' manual:

Do you suppose that perhaps the coaches come with the filler looking like this, and instead of disassembling it, the factory simply man-handles the filler assembly as they are hanging the driver side wall, and that is bending the tubing and distorting the hoses?

My rig is not all bent up, but maybe in 2011, they disassembled it to install it, but later found it was just quicker to man-handle it through the opening, perhaps twisting it as they do so.

Not sure if the filler assembly comes like this from the factory or if it is supposed to be installed by the end assembler.

At any rate, I don't see twisted hoses in the drawing.

Just a thought.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #17

THOR #1602
Thanks for the drawing. I did crawl under mine a few weeks ago and mine looks nothing like the drawing. The 2015 model has the fill pipes running forward for about 3 feet and then they disappear towards the middle of the coach. couldn't see any more because I couldn't squeeze under the axle. I am going to crawl back under tomorrow and try to get some pictures.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #18

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
my bet is that it depends which pothead... uh, I mean employee.... happened to be working that day. Some will do as they are supposed to and loosen the factory stuff or whatever Thor put on it mid assembly... to somewhat better align it,
and then others, when the supervisor isn't looking (every day between the hours of 7:30-4:30) will man handle the hose and call it good.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
The drawing came from the 2015 edition of the Ford Bodybuilder Handbook.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bodybuild.html
Old 03-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #20

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I've seen bare chassis sitting on dealers lots with such an assembly attached at the factory, and bungied or tied to the frame somehow so it can be driven prior to the dump body, or whatever thing is to be put on.

I can believe that in some cases this assembly is used as-is, and either manhandled into place, or adjusted to fit.
and in other cases, thor or sub-contractor, would add to or modify this thing in some way.

You can even see it in this picture, found online....