Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2022, 11:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: gemini 24 tf
State: Labrador
THOR #12855
Gemini 24 tf Slide/Engine Interlocks

Hello
I have a 2018 gemini 24tf on mercedes chassis. When the slided out is open, it is impossible to start the vehicle engine. It is protection. Does anyone know where the switch is that prevents the vehicle from starting? thank you !

Old 05-22-2022, 02:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Sounds like it's wired backwards. Normally, the interlock is: The slide won't move if the engine is running. Never heard of your version of the interlock.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:42 PM   #3

THOR #12855
in fact, if the vehicle engine is running or even if the key is on the accessory, it is impossible to open or close the slide out, even if the handbrake is activated. I would like to know what tells the slide out mechanism that the vehicle's engine is running. there must be a switch somewhere, but where?
Old 05-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
in fact, if the vehicle engine is running or even if the key is on the accessory, it is impossible to open or close the slide out, even if the handbrake is activated. I would like to know what tells the slide out mechanism that the vehicle's engine is running. there must be a switch somewhere, but where?
That is the normal interlock. Have you logged on to the Thor Owners Resource Website and downloaded the electrical diagrams for your coach? They should have that interlock in them.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:04 PM   #5

THOR #12855
Yes i have the documentation and i can’t see anything concerning this
Old 05-25-2022, 02:46 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
As 16ACE27 says, it sounds like your ignition interlock is working correctly as you described in post #3. I wonder if your ”no start” is just coincidental with the slide out? Have you ever had a "no start" situation with the slide in? If this happens again, try removing the ignition key completely and then re-insert key and retry the start process again. Maybe transmission start interlock? Try shifting the transmission to neutral on level ground and try starting again; place in park again and retry starting. I don't know your coach specifics, just trying to determine if there are other issues at work causing this situation.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:39 PM   #7

THOR #12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
As 16ACE27 says, it sounds like your ignition interlock is working correctly as you described in post #3. I wonder if your ”no start” is just coincidental with the slide out? Have you ever had a "no start" situation with the slide in? If this happens again, try removing the ignition key completely and then re-insert key and retry the start process again. Maybe transmission start interlock? Try shifting the transmission to neutral on level ground and try starting again; place in park again and retry starting. I don't know your coach specifics, just trying to determine if there are other issues at work causing this situation.
I will try it and let you know. Still., how system know when slide out in open. This is what i want to know. Where is the interlock you mention 🥹
Old 05-26-2022, 01:19 PM   #8

THOR #2631
I don’t know your coach build specifics, but in my ACE there is a 30 amp fuse in the 12VDC fuse/converter panel that powers the slide controllers (2 slides). The DC fuse/converter panel is located at the end of the bed and there is an ignition interlock relay mounted under the bed (along with some other major electrical systems like transfer switch etc). If the ignition key is inserted (or engine running) the lockout relay will operate and disable the power feed from the 30 amp fuse to the slide controllers. There is nothing in my coach to prevent starting the engine when slides are out. By the way, the awning motor power is also disabled if the ignition is enabled. If your awning is out can you start your engine?
If your coach was built not to allow engine start when the slide was out, it would “likely” use a micro-switch that operated when the slide was fully extended. If that is true, then a partial slide extension should still allow your engine to start? I am just speculating here. The Dealer should be able to confirm if your situation is normal for your unit. You could also have other strange issues like an ignition switch intermittent problem; or maybe a loose connection. Let us know what you find out......so we can learn along with you.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:41 PM   #9

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
My Four Winds 24F on a E450 has 3 black potted relays under the bed tucked way at the bottom near the floor. When the ignition key is any position but OFF the relays are energized. One relay disconnects slide power, one disconnects awning power and the third one energizes the warning buzzer for the stabilizers. None of this circuitry shows up on the wiring diagrams available on the owners website.

Here is exactly how my coach works:

1. Camp arrival. Stopped, slide in, awning in, stabilizers up, ignition OFF, use/store on, key in or out of ignition. Slide will extend, awning will extend, stabilizers will extend with no warning buzzer.

2. Traveling - slide in, awning in, stabilizers up, ignition ON, use/store on. Neither slide or awning will extend. Stabilizers will extend but I get warning buzzer.

3. Set up at campsite. Slide out, awning out, stabilizers extended, ignition OFF, use/store on, key in or out of ignition. Slide operates, awning operates, stabilizers operate.

4. Set up at campsite. Ignition in any position BUT OFF. Slide disabled ( no power to slide controller with visual check), awning disabled, stabilizers give warning buzzer and the will retract.

Here is the kicker - set up at campsite, slide out, awning out, stabilizers extended. I can START the coach and get condition 4. I can put the coach in drive and pull forward with everything deployed.

Verified 10:30 AM this morning…not a guess.

IMHO the interlocks are more for when you are traveling so you don’t deploy the slide, awning, stabilizers by accident which would be devastating. In camp, you’d go DOH and get stuff right before traveling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3500.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	37690
Old 05-27-2022, 03:49 AM   #10

THOR #9511
Further testing shows that the third relay is the water pump relay and not the stabilizers. It is energized when the water pump switch on the control panel is on.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:53 PM   #11

THOR #2631
Excellent summary of your coach lockout behavior Jimbo12. I re-checked my slide/awning lockout and determined that the lockout relay only works when the ignition key is turned to position 1 (no lights on dash) or further. It will not operate if the key is just inserted as my previous post implied. Attaching a picture and Thor electrical view of the three relays under the bed in my ACE that you and I discussed in our posts, in case the OP has something similar; or for other owners info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Three Relays.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	37694  
Old 05-27-2022, 02:19 PM   #12

THOR #9511

Thank you. The OP needs to ask Thor for the Chassis wiring diagram as you have. I found mine last night in an email from Thor.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:12 PM   #13

Model: Delano 24TT
State: Texas
THOR #19066
I have a 2020 Thor Delano 24TT. It has a key-less ignition. If yours also has this there is a place under the dash below the Navigation and Radio, on the fire wall, where you can place the entire key-fob and possibly over-ride the slide lockout. This is not easy to see or get to.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:24 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Hello
I have a 2018 gemini 24tf on mercedes chassis. When the slided out is open, it is impossible to start the vehicle engine. It is protection. Does anyone know where the switch is that prevents the vehicle from starting? thank you !
In my coach the slides' interlock is down by the drivers left foot or on a circuit board beind the power center if the remote is being used.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:26 PM   #15

THOR #12855
Hello everyone and thank you for your answers. I come back to you late but here I just did the tests with the slide out and here is how it works. if the vehicle engine is running I cannot open the slide out. If the key is in the ignition in the first position yes I can open the slide out. If the key is in the second position, it is impossible to open the slide out. However. if the slide out is open, I can start the vehicle and move forward with it. My conclusion is that the protection is there to avoid opening the slide out while driving. With the photos you provided me I found the three interprotect under the bed behind the electrical panel. I also confirm that they do not appear on the schematic of thor. Thank you all for your answers. Sylvain
Old 06-08-2022, 07:59 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Hello
Quote:
Hello everyone and thank you for your answers. I come back to you late but here I just did the tests with the slide out and here is how it works. if the vehicle engine is running I cannot open the slide out. If the key is in the ignition in the first position yes I can open the slide out. If the key is in the second position, it is impossible to open the slide out. However. if the slide out is open, I can start the vehicle and move forward with it. My conclusion is that the protection is there to avoid opening the slide out while driving. With the photos you provided me I found the three interprotect under the bed behind the electrical panel. I also confirm that they do not appear on the schematic of thor. Thank you all for your answers. Sylvain
Sooo, no problem starting the engine with the slide extended?
Old 06-08-2022, 10:41 PM   #17

THOR #9511

Quote:

Nice job. Thanks for getting back to us. Call Thor and they will send you the chassis wiring diagram. Much more detail on wiring and wire colors.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:42 PM   #18

THOR #12855
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Sooo, no problem starting the engine with the slide extended?
No problem to start the engine when the slide is out. The most important to me is now i know where is the interlock. I tried to understand everything about the rv. 🙂