Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Generator and boondocking fuel per hour

Ok was our first time boondocking and went at is for 3 days down on the coast of Texas. At first the Generator would start up and run on its own every 4 hours or so and run for 1 hour. It was set to come on when voltage hit 12 volt DC, I changed it to 11 Volts DC and then it came on every 6 hours or so. Only thing that was on in MH was the fridge and every now and then a light for a few moments. The best I can tell fuel wise, I burned roughly a gallon a hour or a little more but not really sure. Does all of this sound about right to others that boondock?

Old 11-15-2016, 01:30 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Every sounds about right. We spend upwards to 3 months in the winter boondocking. We added two batteries, for a total of 4. Also I got the advise that if the battery level hits 11.6 volts it takes about 3 hours on the generator to get back to a full charge of about 13 volts. I believe the manuals from Onan indicate 6/10 per hour not under load and just a bit more under load (AC) on.

Just what we've learned.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:14 AM   #3

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Every sounds about right. We spend upwards to 3 months in the winter boondocking. We added two batteries, for a total of 4. Also I got the advise that if the battery level hits 11.6 volts it takes about 3 hours on the generator to get back to a full charge of about 13 volts. I believe the manuals from Onan indicate 6/10 per hour not under load and just a bit more under load (AC) on.

Just what we've learned.

HHhhmm.... don't sound to bad, I have to do some more checking.... I can really see solar in my near future..
Old 11-16-2016, 02:10 AM   #4

THOR #1020
We've considered the solar for the battery charge but we really like a cool temp in the coach. So I carry generator oil and air filters for a change everything at 150 hours - also change my own spark plugs every 500 hours. Last winter bought a generator exhaust stack. I estimate we spent about $3 per day on fuel for the generator - best way for us to go.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Our fuel MPG drops from about 10 to around 8 when we run the ginny for a couple of hours per tank. So that sounds ball park.
Note here that for most manufactures of batteries anything below about 12.2 volts is effectively dead. While you can do this it will reduce battery life. In an ideal world don't take your batteries below 50% SOC or around 12.4 volts.
Check your battery manufactures web site for specific details.

For boondocking with a residential refrig expect to run the ginny about 6 hours. Between 2 and 4 for a refrig on LP. This is if you are using an inverter/charger in the 60 to 100 amp range for the residential or about 30 to 40 amps from a smart charger, which we use, for the refer on LP.

It takes us 300 watts of solar to break even with the refrig on LP, about 3 hours of 2 LED lights and cycling the water pump about half a dozen times to flush the toilet. Solar requirements go up in winter and under cloudy conditions or shade.
We boon dock 6 to 8 months a year.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
About 1 gallon per hour under load (A/C) sounds about right. We added 2 additional batteries and 400 watts of solar to our Hurricane since we boondock fairly often, but in the south A/C usage during summer months still requires generator power. In the fall and spring, we don't need the genny very often.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #2121
The Onan RV Manual has excellent information on this topic.

https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf

The 5500 watt FUEL INJECTED generator size apparently burns fuel at:

.3 gallons/hour at no load

.6 gallons/hour at 50% load

.9 gallons/hour at full load
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	3368  
Old 11-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #8

THOR #2121
The manual also shows that charging batteries from a generator can take significant power, and the entire process isn't particularly energy efficient.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	207
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	3370  
Old 11-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Or fast for that matter.

There is a lot of information to consider depending on particular system specifics and use. The Onan manual is long but informative.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	182
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	3371  
Old 11-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #10

THOR #1020
Chance yep - when I was making the decision about solar I estimated the cost to add solar vs operating the generator. Also, the manual you reference is where I got my fuel consumption and charging rate. Also, driving the equation is we boondock in Key West a great deal and need the generator for a myriad of things including convection oven and ACs. The toughest part of the maintenance is changing spark plugs. I posted my lessons learned for changing these at Changing Plugs in Onan RV QG 5500 - iRV2 Forums.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34F
THOR #5880
Were are good places to boondocks in the keys
Old 12-06-2016, 11:58 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Using the generator and running one ac unit for 5 days from 7:00am to 10:00pm...daytime highs of 90 degrees, I used 35 gallons of gas. That amounts to a little over 1/2 gallon per hour.

I filled up just before entering the park and again upon leaving...i was curious as this was the first time I had boon-docked with this RV.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #13

THOR #1020
If you use the generator, learn how to do an oil change and spark plug replacement. The oil change is fairly straight forward - the spark plugs not so much. I change the gen oil, oil filter and air filter every 150 hours. Costs about $20

Spark plugs cost about $15 BUT what a bummer the first time. Takes about 1.5 to figure it out. If you're interested I posted a how to here http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...00-a-5424.html
Old 12-07-2016, 01:15 AM   #14

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Thanks for the photos on the location of the plugs. I think I may try it myself. I don't imagine it is too cheap to have done at a shop. I know the Cummins service center here is outrageous .

Thanks,
Don
Old 12-07-2016, 01:30 AM   #15

THOR #1020
Hopefully you can benefit from my learning experience. Fairly easy - just takes time. Yep - most places charge about $60 to change oil and the same for a "tune up". Even with the flex head ratchet, I spend about $25 for the plugs and tools.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:11 AM   #16

Model: Windsport 34J
THOR #6962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
If you use the generator, learn how to do an oil change and spark plug replacement. The oil change is fairly straight forward - the spark plugs not so much. I change the gen oil, oil filter and air filter every 150 hours. Costs about $20

Spark plugs cost about $15 BUT what a bummer the first time. Takes about 1.5 to figure it out. If you're interested I posted a how to here http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...00-a-5424.html
Bigben, Thanks for the DIY guidance. Did you complete your first oil change at 50 hours or 150 hours? I recall reading somewhere in the manuels that the first change was recommended at 50. And if you did do your first at 50 did you do your second at 100 or 150 hours later? Just wanting to learn from you and the others that have been there/done that.

Charlie
Old 04-07-2017, 01:02 AM   #17

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
how would it work if when i boondock, and only run the fridge, a few lights and the TV, i used my 2000 watt kipor generator ? it's what i did with my 5th wheel, it'll run about 12 hrs on a half gallon of gas.
if it's hot i just use the 5000w onboard generator..
i just hate to use any more gas than nessesary.