Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 bunk
State: Minnesota
THOR #6307
Question Generator Dash Hour Meter

I recently purchased a 2017 Palazzo 33.3 and have only run the generator maybe an hour or so but the Dash Meter shows a large number like 3261.3.
Has anyone seen this before and if so what are the units?
Attached Files

Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Well one hour would be 60 minutes and that would be 3,600 seconds so perhaps instead of displaying hours you are getting seconds ?
The 3259.4 if seconds would be about 54 1/2 minutes, pretty close to the hour you said you ran the generator.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
As stated in the display - it is supposed to be hours... seems like something is wrong with that gauge...
Watching the video - its not minutes... not seconds... just seems to keep counting... Was the generator running when you took that?

2017 = warranty repair...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 AM   #4

THOR #6307
Yes it was running.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:17 AM   #5

THOR #6307
I ran the same calculation and thought maybe it was seconds as well. The Meter does say hours though. I asked a Thor rep. and he said he had seen this before and suggested contacting Freightliner. I stopped at a Freightliner service dealer and he said it was a Thor issue but he could look at for $175/hr.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
yep, I think you folks are onto something.

Don't be fooled by that tag calling it hours. I believe that is just a tag to label the data set. It could read anything they typed in and has nothing to do with the number most likely....

That looks like some sort of aftermarket meter display. It takes in a signal from the generator and displays something.... but I'll bet there is a setting or multiplier in there somewhere

For $175 an hour, I think I would find out what make and model that little display is, and go find the manual for it.... along with the manual from the generator so that you can understand what sort of signial it is outputing....go park that RV someplace with a nice view.... crack open a beer and spend a little quality time with the manual
Old 01-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #7

THOR #6307
Yup the meter reads seconds if you ignore the decimal point. Weird. It's a Freightliner dash and a Cummins generator so I will see what they have to say about this.
Attached Files
Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #3521
Why wouldn't this be something that the dealer would handle without having to go to Freightliner and pay $175 hour? This kind of thing makes us novices cringe about buying a diesel pusher and especially a Thor!
Old 01-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Just curious, are there any buttons that might change the display, it may be multi function.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 AM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
well, it's not a 'Thor' issue, it is a 'Freightliner' issue as they produce and provide these dash setups to Thor for the Cummins and Allision connections, as well as the Cummin Onan generator...

call FL 24/7 800 service number and they can help you
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 33.3
THOR #7242
I just recently bought a 33.3 as well, and mine counts like this too. I would be interested to know if you did anything about it or just let it go?

I do know the AGS also can count generator time at the remote control. I don't think it is really a great solution, but it is there if for some reason you need it.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I have a Thor Hurricane and it has had it's problems, but I have
a friend with a year old Winnebago 37 ft DP and his has been in
the shop more than he has gotten to use it.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #13

THOR #6307
I have let it go. The meter on the generator properly reads out in hours. Yesterday ready to go on our first camping trip the rear slide motor seems to have failed. Spent the day getting the slide back in so I can drive it to the dealer (Camping World) and unloading. The dealer will be getting a long list of what I repaired myself and what still needs to be done including the generator meter. Stay tuned for the result.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #14

THOR #7866
I have the same issue of the dash gen meter apparently ticking off every second as an hour on a brand new 2017 Thor Palazzo 35.1. The meter on the Onan 6000w gen itself reads correct. Drives me nuts. Dealer said nothing they can do, need to talk to Freightliner. Haven't had time for that yet. Will call Thor CS first. Will post an update as this issue evolves...
Old 06-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown143 View Post
I have the same issue of the dash gen meter apparently ticking off every second as an hour on a brand new 2017 Thor Palazzo 35.1. The meter on the Onan 6000w gen itself reads correct. Drives me nuts. Dealer said nothing they can do, need to talk to Freightliner. Haven't had time for that yet. Will call Thor CS first. Will post an update as this issue evolves...
Call Freightliner? Who built, sold and delivered the coach? Do they tell you to call Norcold if you have a refrigerator problem? Do they tell yo to call Suburban for a water heater problem? Do they tell you to call Seiki for a TV problem? THEY need to call Freightliner and Onan to resolve the issue.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 33.3
THOR #7242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown143 View Post
I was talking to my service group about this as well. Basically it is some weird firmware flash Freightliner has to do, and I guess it isn't perfected yet. He said they multiple on property that have the issue and Freightliner won't release the flash to them to do it, so they have to actually take the units to Freightliner to have it done there.

Tags
generator, meter, palazzo, units