Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
GM’s EV Van Sets Range World Record

GM’s BrightDrop electric 600 sets world record of 250+ mile range for a van.

There is little information on how they accomplished 258.85 miles, though one can assume from article that there was very little load (near empty) and driven slowly most of the way based on time. Regardless, it’s impressive range for an electric van the size of a compact Class A.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/22/2...s-world-record

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39AACB8F-19D1-4244-9D1F-423EFCF74343.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	37112  

Old 04-25-2022, 09:59 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
GM’s BrightDrop electric 600 sets world record of 250+ mile range for a van.

There is little information on how they accomplished 258.85 miles, though one can assume from article that there was very little load (near empty) and driven slowly most of the way based on time. Regardless, it’s impressive range for an electric van the size of a compact Class A.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/22/2...s-world-record

Governed to 65mph (mentioned in the article).

In addition to that they had a fleet of chase vehicles helping them through traffic (radioing when to change lanes, etc.). More like a stunt than anything.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:27 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Totally meaningless and only adds to the web of lies about the supposedly clean electric vehicle.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:02 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I think electric vehicles are exciting... it's like we're living at the very beginning of the dawn of a transportation revolution. Just like ICE vehicles did around 1900. Many people then were very skeptical of this "new" way of travel... just like today with electric.

Lots of hurdles... energy storage is a biggie. No one has a clear answer... just like people in 1965 had no idea of the internet and mobile phone revolution on the horizon.

Electric motorhomes today are a novelty, just like ICE vehicles once we're. There were PLENTY of naysayers using horse and buggy in 1900... just like naysayers driving ICE vehicles today.

A breakthrough in vehicle energy storage may not happen in my lifetime, but I have no doubt my grandkids will have plenty of alternatives to ICE mobility.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Governed to 65mph (mentioned in the article).

In addition to that they had a fleet of chase vehicles helping them through traffic (radioing when to change lanes, etc.). More like a stunt than anything.

Yes, a stunt. I seriously doubt they drove close to 65 MPH a significant portion of the trip.

Article mentions they left NY at 7:00 AM and delivered package at ~ 2:00 PM with 98 miles remaining on battery. I’m not certain what this means regarding average driving speed, but sounds like a hypermiling drive “orchestrated” by van’s manufacturer to set record. At least they were honest about that.

Worst case they drove ~ 160 miles (258 — 98) in approximately 7 hours, so allowing for their few stops, average speed was likely under 30 MPH.

If driven at steady 60 MPH, who knows what the range would have been? Maybe half that? At least the “rated” 250 miles is twice the Ford E-Transit’s which is rated under 125 miles for medium- and high-roof vans.

To be fair, the GM van has a much larger battery than the E-Transit — about twice the kWh size.

I really like the size of this van for a camper, but highway-speed range and charging time makes it impractical. That size motorhome with a small gas engine would be a great option to have. It’s very similar in size to Winnebago Ekko except a foot longer at 24-feet, and a foot lower at 9 feet since there is nothing on roof like an air conditioner. It’s also similar in size to some Euro Hymer Class A models.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:31 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The other thing the green side is not telling people is that it will take strip mining the earth for billions and billions of pounds of rare earth metals to make enough batteries for vehicles..... let alone homes, etc. What's that going to do to the environment?

There are already reports of Lithium shortages and that is driving up the cost. As demand goes up, so will the costs associated with EV's as the materials needed are in short supply.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:07 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
They also haven’t really come up with a plan for recycling old, dead batteries. It’s interesting that cost comparisons with ICE vehicles almost never include “disposition” or recycling costs. There certainly is a place for electric vehicles but it’s not the panacea it’s being made out to be.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:05 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34R
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The other thing the green side is not telling people is that it will take strip mining the earth for billions and billions of pounds of rare earth metals ...
One of the reasons 95% of Neodymium and Dysprosium mining is in China is because it is a nasty operation from environmental standpoint....
Were you find rare earth is were you have radioactive ores so you need to deal with radioactive sludge, radioactive dust, etc...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:23 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's nice to see
Woke
Work on the side of common sense.

Electric vehicle is a distraction.
We don't have the resources
We don't have the grid
We don't have the ability to warp the laws of physics.

It's the 1960's moonshot.
Nasa produced Tang and space blankets
It distracted, it employed, it sated the easily sated.
Knowing what moon rocks are made of served no value.
We'll get USB 'd' and maybe a digital clock that runs for 8 years instead of the current 4 from this electric vehicle thing. The smallest urban areas will maybe hang on for a long time. They're the same folks who think 10,000,000,000 electric scooters was a good idea.

Type
Chinese bicycle graveyard.
See where these ideas wind up.

The future says this electric thing will go down in history along side
Steam
Wood gas
Methane
Compressed air
Helium in tires to add fuel mileage
(You've heard of all of these and thought the people to be odd and having a religious fervor aspect that was just a bit distasteful.)

I am not, for the slightest moment against progress and innovation.
I'm against getting the 77 IQ folk on board so the car promoters have standing room only on their bandwagon.
The electric vehicle cartel doesn't care who they scam or what they say.
There are no ramifications for the cartel spreading lied designed to wring money from people who think themselves forward thinking when all they are are Minah birds.
If there were penalties, the author if that fluff piece would be fired for lacking morals.

Later I'll post picture proof of a car/energy scam some here may remember.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:02 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Well then... I guess the consensus is we all just stick our heads in the sand and suffocate ourselves. We're going to die anyway... why prolong the agony? In the meantime, we can all install those 100mpg carburetors on the motorhome...
Old 04-26-2022, 04:16 PM   #11

THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
... In the meantime, we can all install those 100mpg carburetors on the motorhome...
Maybe the solution is in our own backyard and we don't know it!!!

Old 04-26-2022, 04:17 PM   #12

THOR #13932
Quote:
Well then... I guess the consensus is we all just stick our heads in the sand and suffocate ourselves. We're going to die anyway... why prolong the agony? In the meantime, we can all install those 100mpg carburetors on the motorhome...

As a diver I've personally seen the Greek buildings and ports which have been underwater for 1,000 years. Not recent reasons, not industrial reasons. How far back to the stone age do you want to go?
As a desert dweller I've found the clamshells in the desert.
As a semi educated guy I've seen the remnants of forests which used to be where the petrified forest now is.

Headlines
'10,000,000 people will die from global warming'
No
They'll move inland.
They'll raise ducks instead of chickens.
They'll adapt and all will be well as it always has been.
And they'll raise chickens during the next cycle.

The sky had been falling since human sacrifice cured droughts.
Tell us otherwise to sway us.

Revisit where the information comes from, discredit anything that doesn't present both sides EQUALLY.
If you don't do this you're on the bandwagon singing a song for which you don't understand the lyrics, no matter the side you side.
But
There's cake and commraderie .

Always has been, always will be.

I see the whole electric vehicle thing on the same plain as
Cultural misappropriation arguments.
How dare your nonthinking brainless self dare to tell me about misappropriation...IN ENGLISH.

Yet,
Here we are.
How easy to debunk
How easier to hop on board.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:34 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Quote:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that we as a collective group shouldn’t do things to improve the environment. The real issue is that a group grabs onto an idea and it becomes a panacea because they didn’t do a holistic analysis on the pros and cons or the long term impacts.

Also…. I was a kid in Pittsburgh growing up during the steel industry. I remember the flames…. the smoke… the smell coming from the stacks as I road in the backseat and my dad drive along the three rivers. I can rember seeing the smoke from the exhaust of every car and truck in the road.

Today, Pittsburgh is a technology and medical hub and the air quality is very good. Vehicle emissons are down substantially. I would say man made significant improvements in the past 45 years and helped the environment more than hurting it.

But instead of drilling, processing and burning fuel more efficiently and more cleanly than we ever had, we are going to replace it with tearing apart the earth to find the materials needed to have electric vehicles and even homes running solar… and it will take machines which will burn fuel… and thid will probably impacting water supplies besides just impacting the earth itself.

And as mentioned above there is no clear plan for the infrastructure required or recycling the waiste. Plus it assumes that countries like Russia, China and India will be as diligent as we are.

We have made tremendous strives to improve how we treat the earth and that effort continues…. but it’s not the be-all end-all.

Something I learned during an RV trip and visit to Teddy Roosevelt National Park was that before he decided to run for President, Teddy wanted to be a rancher in the Bad Lands. He loved it out there and wanted to make a life and live there forever.

But in the late 1800’s harsh winters and summer droughts wiped out his livestock and crops…. not once…. but twice. Teddy was a tough guy but he painfully learned he could not control or change the weather or mother nature. So he packed up… headed east… and got into politics.

All of the extreme weather that wiped out everything he tried and loved to do all happened long before Henry Ford invented the automobile and we started burning fossil fuels.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:41 PM   #14

THOR #19887
As someone that was born, raised and lived in a huge city (10M+ people) during 36 years, I can attest that pollution is directely related to either: bad urban development (skyscrapers) and/or education.
Leaving this here just for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Global Warming.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	37129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Global Warming II.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	37130  

Old 04-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We just need to change our driving habits a little bit!

Battery-power is not a long term solution; but I'm not sure what it...
Perhaps hydrogen power?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:17 PM   #16

THOR #13932
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...I8ELS9kqX0ypBp

Some folks do not relay views of their own.
They're just being nice.
'Agreeing universally is not really a sign that you actually care'.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:20 PM   #17

THOR #13932
I think hydrogen is just a problem with how to confine it.
Graphene and what will immediately follow it making graphene quickly obsolete Will likely be the answer to hydrogen confinement vessels.
Then we'll see how the micromesh and required minerals work out.

I know what a dewar is
But
I don't know if a Dewar is the right word for a compression vessel.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #18

THOR #12751
I agree.... Hydrogen is the way to go.... the byproduct is water..... we could always use more water!

There are plenty of smart people on this earth that can figure out how to make it safe to use.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #19

THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I think hydrogen is just a problem with how to confine it.
The cheapest way to get Hydrogen in humongous volume is to reform natural gas BUT....

In that process you get two CO2 molecules for each H2 generated....

I would be ok with that if the final solution was cheaper (final vehicle/HP per $) than the current ICE (currently nowhere close to that) for CO2 is plant food but if the argument is to reduce CO2 emissions to start with, that seems to not be supporting the narrative....
Old 04-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
The cheapest way to get Hydrogen in humongous volume is to reform natural gas BUT....

In that process you get two CO2 molecules for each H2 generated...

I would be ok with that if the final solution was cheaper (final vehicle/HP per $) than the current ICE for CO2 is plant food but if the argument is to reduce CO2 to start with, that seems to not be supporting the narrative....
You can use Electrolysis for a carbon-free method of producing Hydrogen.... and the cost could be reduced down to $1/Kg eventually.