Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #1961
Black & Grey Water Tank Heaters Axis 24.1

We are in the cold now and concerned about the grey and black water tanks freezing. I notice on the fluid monitor panel by the entry door there are 2 switches: one for the grey water tank heater and the other for the black water tank heater. They give me thought that there may be heaters in them. If there are, I cannot find information in the Owner's Manual. If there are, is there a minimum amount of fluid that should be in each tank before I turn the heaters on?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2016, 01:57 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Just because you have the switches does not necessarily mean that the heaters are installed. In my Vegas, I had them. In my Axis I do not, but I still have the two switches. Look under the black tank on the driver's side and see if the heating pads and wires are attached. If you do have them, I do not believe that there is a minimum amount if water that needs to be in them, but I would make sure that there was some water in them before I turned them on.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #3

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
my 2016 axis rolled off line on 9-10-15 and has the heaters on tanks.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #4

THOR #1765
Actually, the date does not make a difference. The heaters are add on items and it depends which add ones the dealer asked for or Thor put on. My 2016 came without the outside TV or the heaters. I did not want either.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:42 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
The heaters are black pads that should be stuck on the bottom of the tanks. Notice I said should as most of the time they are peeling off. But they have thermistors in them so that they will shut off if the temps go above a set point. I had the pads and switches on mine but they never worked until I traced the wires and found that they never connected the wires to the switches behind the control panel. I thought they had forgotten to run them because I could not find them anywhere. Finally with and inspection mirror and flashlight I found them coiled up in a void next to the panel. After help from the good people here as to what colour went were I got them connected and they started working. One more project complete on my new DIY RV kit.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:30 AM   #6

THOR #1765
"DIY RV kit", I love it. That's it exactly!
Old 12-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Does THOR give merit badges for each project you complete?😎
Old 12-14-2016, 03:55 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I dont know about merit badges but I would really like to be reimbursed the warranty rate just for the problems I had to refix after the dealer fixed them. My dealer is real nice but the last time I was in I just asked the mechanic to throw the parts in the RV and write it up as done, At least that way I did not have to undo the fix before I redid it.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
I dont know about merit badges but I would really like to be reimbursed the warranty rate just for the problems I had to refix after the dealer fixed them. My dealer is real nice but the last time I was in I just asked the mechanic to throw the parts in the RV and write it up as done, At least that way I did not have to undo the fix before I redid it.
I like the idea of getting the parts and doing it yourself!!! Lol
Old 12-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #10

THOR #1765
I wish Thor would just give me the parts. I took my Axis in for three warranty items. They managed to replace the LED strip under the headlight. They destroyed the replacement awning by dragging it across the tarmack before trying to install it and had to order another. When I tried to leave I realized that after replacement of the radio, I now had no backup or side cameras. The had put the new radio in, but neglected to hook it up. Wonderful.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #8873
Right/left grey water tanks

The right grey tank is showing full, the left empty. However water is not draining. Is there something I need to do to switch tanks?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calsea View Post
The right grey tank is showing full, the left empty. However water is not draining. Is there something I need to do to switch tanks?
Letting us know you specific coach can help us help you... Things like an extra dump valve, etc are unique to specific coaches.

Typically the separate dump tanks are plumbed to different fixtures... so no switching of tanks...
The gauges are notoriously bad - often read at least partially full when empty.
If the tank is on the far side from the dump hookup - look for that extra dump valve near the tank (allows keeping the under rv dump line empty in colder weather...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #13

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Letting us know you specific coach can help us help you... Things like an extra dump valve, etc are unique to specific coaches.

Typically the separate dump tanks are plumbed to different fixtures... so no switching of tanks...
If the tank is on the far side from the dump hookup - look for that extra dump valve near the tank (allows keeping the under rv dump line empty in colder weather...)
Is it recommended to keep the dump valve on the far side from the dump port open or closed when stored? The valve right under the tank in my class C.?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Is it recommended to keep the dump valve on the far side from the dump port open or closed when stored? The valve right under the tank in my class C.?
I don't have that setup - but would be inclined to say keep it closed - and therefore the line under the RV empty...
Would certainly be the case for winter storage in colder climate.... and I wouldn't want to have to hook up to a sewer just to drain that section if I didn't get out camping again before winterization...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #15

THOR #8873
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post

Yes of course it would help.. It help too if I actually knew what I was doing. I think it is a just plug sink drain. Thank you for your reply. Going to dump station tomorrow for first time. Armed with instructions, videos and help from a fellow camper if need be. Wish me luck!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #16

THOR #8873
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Thanks Steve foe the reply!