Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2016, 12:51 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ace 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #1069
they are agm batteries (to me important)

Old 04-20-2016, 01:26 AM   #42

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Oh, well then, I wouldn't know what I'm talking about when it comes to them So I'll say nothing, except nice job!
Old 04-20-2016, 01:43 AM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaffourtit View Post
there are 10 12v batteries. each have 145 ah. I hope this helps.
Yes, and thank you again -- I had seen that before.

The reason I asked the question in the first place -- for those that aren't experienced in this area -- is that had your batteries been 10 6v batteries each of 145 ah instead, you would had wired them in groups of two in series to get 12 volts, and ended up with 725 Amp-hours at 12 volts (instead of your 1450 amp-hours at 12 volts). It's half the energy capacity and therefore roughly half the weight as well (assuming technology and all other battery factors are similar).

I get why flrockytop is confused in thinking that all amp-hour battery ratings are comparable. They are clearly not because a battery's amp-hour rating is not a good indication of energy storage unless the voltage is also specified. And if voltage is specified, the better units of measure in my opinion are kilowatt-hours. That's the way electric cars are done because it makes more technical sense.

This is going to be more of an issue when we start seeing motorhomes with 12, 24, 36, and even 48 volt systems.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #44

Model: ace 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Yes, and thank you again -- I had seen that before.

The reason I asked the question in the first place -- for those that aren't experienced in this area -- is that had your batteries been 10 6v batteries each of 145 ah instead, you would had wired them in groups of two in series to get 12 volts, and ended up with 725 Amp-hours at 12 volts (instead of your 1450 amp-hours at 12 volts). It's half the energy capacity and therefore roughly half the weight as well (assuming technology and all other battery factors are similar).

I get why flrockytop is confused in thinking that all amp-hour battery ratings are comparable. They are clearly not because a battery's amp-hour rating is not a good indication of energy storage unless the voltage is also specified. And if voltage is specified, the better units of measure in my opinion are kilowatt-hours. That's the way electric cars are done because it makes more technical sense.

This is going to be more of an issue when we start seeing motorhomes with 12, 24, 36, and even 48 volt systems.
well you are typing to one of the non experience people with me. before buying the mh in oct. 28, 2014 I had no experience with solar. between reading and fellow rver's on three online sites; that is where I received whatever information I have. so if I can muddle through I know anyone can. the last part left is to add 2 more mppt-60 controllers, and solar panels to the car trailer. that should be a total of 220-240 amps. once that is connected I should be able to run the air conditioner and still charge the batteries. i'm sure I will hear some doubters on this statement.