Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2016, 01:04 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ace 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Nice.

Is your 1450 amp-hours based on 6-Volt battery ratings or 12-Volt ratings?

Just trying to get rough idea of how much your batteries might weigh. Can you share their type and sizes?

Sounds like you're already to point where generator isn't needed. That's a goal many share.
10 12v batteries each at 145ah.
105 each is the weight. 1050 total
brand is deka
I will always keep the generator, but hope not to need it much.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #22

THOR #1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
This is nice! I would like to know your set up i.e., parallel / serires or what did you do? What controller are you using to charge in 9 hours? I assume that is with full sun. Are your panels following the sun, or static? Do you have pictures?
I have 5 sets of 2 pair in parallel to a bus bar. still equals 12v. I now have 2 mppt-60 will add 2 more. Morningstar.
when I ran the 9 hour a/c test I started at noon and it ended at nine. so part of the test there was no sun. at the end the battery level was at 12.3 when a/c was running. when I turned it off volts jumped to 12.5v. what type of pictures. I will try and post them.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:53 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaffourtit View Post
10 12v batteries each at 145ah.
105 each is the weight. 1050 total
brand is deka
I will always keep the generator, but hope not to need it much.
Impressive amount of battery energy -- around 10 kW-hours of usable electricity as far as I can tell. Thanks much for information.

What size air conditioner did you run during test, and what size inverter did it take to start and run the a/c? I'm curious as it relates to possibility of scaling down to Class B size.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:11 AM   #24

THOR #1069
Quote:
Impressive amount of battery energy -- around 10 kW-hours of usable electricity as far as I can tell. Thanks much for information.

What size air conditioner did you run during test, and what size inverter did it take to start and run the a/c? I'm curious as it relates to possibility of scaling down to Class B size.
15k ac unit inverter is 4000 watts but 12000 for first 30 seconds
Old 04-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #25

THOR #2121
Quote:
15k ac unit inverter is 4000 watts but 12000 for first 30 seconds
Thanks again. Hate to ask so many questions, but as they say the devil is in the details.

Did you buy a pure sine or a modified sine inverter? Is it an inverter/charger? Brand?

I really like that you appear to have enough capacity to run the a/c plus run a microwave a few minutes at same time.

By the way, I wasn't suggesting getting rid of an existing generator. My thought is eliminating its need on new motorhomes, and then relying on a second high-capacity engine-driven alternator to charge the batteries as the backup. That's where high-tech Class Bs seem to be headed. Plus on ProMaster chassis there isn't much ground clearance under floor for a generator.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #26

THOR #1069
Quote:
Thanks again. Hate to ask so many questions, but as they say the devil is in the details.

Did you buy a pure sine or a modified sine inverter? Is it an inverter/charger? Brand?

I really like that you appear to have enough capacity to run the a/c plus run a microwave a few minutes at same time.

By the way, I wasn't suggesting getting rid of an existing generator. My thought is eliminating its need on new motorhomes, and then relying on a second high-capacity engine-driven alternator to charge the batteries as the backup. That's where high-tech Class Bs seem to be headed. Plus on ProMaster chassis there isn't much ground clearance under floor for a generator.
pure sine, inverter/charger, can charge from 0-105 amps. the brand is not very well liked by many, but so far I have not had any issues and would buy the same brand again. it is an aims inverter/charger.
pictures of amps on a good day(max should be around 97 amps), equipment under my couch(with couch removed to take the picture, picture upside down), monitoring panel, and the four panels, and combiner boxes on roof.
hope to get additional 120 amps from car hauler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1715   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160315_175651.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1716  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0314151450.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1717   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150723_191716.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1718  

Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #27

THOR #2121
Nice work and well organized. Much cleaner than most factory installations I've seen.

Thanks again for sharing so much information.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #28

THOR #1069
thank you and your welcome
Old 04-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #29

State: New York
THOR #1727
I have a question

Quote:
pure sine, inverter/charger, can charge from 0-105 amps. the brand is not very well liked by many, but so far I have not had any issues and would buy the same brand again. it is an aims inverter/charger.
pictures of amps on a good day(max should be around 97 amps), equipment under my couch(with couch removed to take the picture, picture upside down), monitoring panel, and the four panels, and combiner boxes on roof.
hope to get additional 120 amps from car hauler.
I have a 2015 Thor 31W Class C.
I want to add 4 to 6 Batteries and some Renogy 100Amp Panels on the roof. My concern is how to eliminate the old Inverter, Controller with other electric items that may be involved with my current set up without out screwing things up. Any input?
Thanks,
Butch
Old 04-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #30

THOR #1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman View Post
I have a 2015 Thor 31W Class C.
I want to add 4 to 6 Batteries and some Renogy 100Amp Panels on the roof. My concern is how to eliminate the old Inverter, Controller with other electric items that may be involved with my current set up without out screwing things up. Any input?
Thanks,
Butch
does your mh have and inverter/charger or an inverter and a separate converter? I do not know your model, but if you have a converter I would remove power to your converter by removing the hot lead from the ac panel box and just tape the end. the return and ground can stay connected incase you remove the inverter, or if the inverter breaks you have another way to charge your batteries. was your inverter installed by thor in the factory?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #31

THOR #1727
Stock Coach

Quote:
does your mh have and inverter/charger or an inverter and a separate converter? I do not know your model, but if you have a converter I would remove power to your converter by removing the hot lead from the ac panel box and just tape the end. the return and ground can stay connected incase you remove the inverter, or if the inverter breaks you have another way to charge your batteries. was your inverter installed by thor in the factory?
Everything is Factory Installed as of now. I have my Coach at a repair Facility for some warranty work. I should get it Tomorrow or Monday. Then I can dive into the current system and see if I can figure it out. You will probable hear from me again, I hope you don't mind.
Thank you,
Butch
Old 04-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #32

THOR #1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman View Post
Everything is Factory Installed as of now. I have my Coach at a repair Facility for some warranty work. I should get it Tomorrow or Monday. Then I can dive into the current system and see if I can figure it out. You will probable hear from me again, I hope you don't mind.
Thank you,
Butch
ask the dealer what kind of equipment you have, inverter/charger, inverter with a separate converter. what ever useful information he can give you. that would be the place to start.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #33

THOR #1727
OK I will thank you
Old 04-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #34

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
Quote:
Nice.

Is your 1450 amp-hours based on 6-Volt battery ratings or 12-Volt ratings?

That's like asking Which weighs more 1000lbs of feathers or 1000lbs of lead. 1450 amp hours is 1450 amp hours. It doesn't matter if you got there with a combination parallel/series 6v or parallel 12v.

roger
Old 04-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #35

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrockytop View Post
That's like asking Which weighs more 1000lbs of feathers or 1000lbs of lead. 1450 amp hours is 1450 amp hours. It doesn't matter if you got there with a combination parallel/series 6v or parallel 12v.

roger

Roger, perhaps Chance just wanted to know what his bank was made up of, I was also curious.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #36

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
Wasn't meaning to be critical. Just trying to get the "theory" out there. I wasn't in a very good mood anyway. I have a 2016 24.1 AXIS that is just a couple of months old and been fighting all the batteries. Both house batteries have dead cells and go to 10v with a load after full charge. Thor of course said contact the manufacture as batteries are not their problem. The manufacture wants to give me a whopping $60 each for the batteries and said the best place to get a replacement would be Sams at around $99 each.

I got two Trojan 30 XHS 130aH for $185 each. They required modification of the battery try to install. I actually got four batteries and going to put the other two in the compartment to the left of the entrance door.

As others have reported, the chassis battery has gone dead dead three time already. So I suspect that its life is going to be short. So I was looking at changing that battery. It looked very tight and was not sure just how to get it out. That's when I did a search and found this forum. I was not happy to find that you have to take a chain saw to the dash to replace the dang battery. I'm going to keep this one on life support as long as I can. Like others I'm trying to track down whats drawing the battery so much when not in use.

I've also been spoiled by having been a Tiffin owner for ten years. No one can match the service I got from them. If you have a warranty problem, especially one that has you stranded, Bob Tiffin himself will get it taken care of now and not a 6 week wait at an uninterested dealer. I had tire problems 2 years into owning the RV. On the third tire that blew a hole in the side, Bob didn't tell me to contact Goodyear he got on the phone with the tire dealer where I was at the time, paid for that tire with his credit card and told me when I got back to Pensacola he was going to have me 6 new matching tires installed.

We are down sizing and the 24.1 is the floor plan that is exactly what we wanted. I just couldn't get Tiffin to make me one

Roger
Old 04-19-2016, 03:07 AM   #37

THOR #3195
Roger, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got your work cut out for ya. Are they Harris batteries,that are going bad? If they are, I'm surprised that Harris is giving you anything, others have had so much trouble. When I got my coach, I told them I want those batteries out and 6volts put in as part of the deal. I think I was lucky, as at the time I did not know about the Harris problem.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:29 AM   #38

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrockytop View Post

roger
It was not -- because we can't assume all amp-hours are the same, which is why I asked the question to confirm. I don't "assume" information unless it's specifically provided, which in this case was not.

Go back and read post #15 which was ambiguous, and if you still don't understand that all amp-hours are not the same in the context of the battery question, please let me know.

And for what it's worth, all 1450 amp-hours of battery capacity are not the same. Not even close.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #39

THOR #1069
there are 10 12v batteries. each have 145 ah. I hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #40

THOR #3195
OK, I have to ask, if you went 10 6v @ 232ah it would be 1160ah, so I see you are getting more ah with 10 12v @ 145ah would be 1450ah, but it is a proven that 6v can take the recharging over and over again, and will last about twice as long as 12v. Dealing with so many batteries, you must of had a reason behind the 12v, yes?