Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #1689
Heated Holding tanks

Hi,
I own a 2014 Tuscany XTE 34MQ. I have a number of questions regarding the "heated" holding tanks.

1) Is the heat provided by running the gas forced air furnace?
1.a) If so, is the heating from convection of heat by the ducting acting as a radiator?
1.b) If so, which furnace is supplying the heat to the holding tank(s) storage area?

2) If I choose to use the electric ceiling heat pump(s) does that mean the holding tank area are not heated?

Thanks
Will

Old 04-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Does your switch panel have switches for the heated holding tanks? If not then they probably just have run some of the heating ducts near the tanks.

(Our unit also has heated holding tanks but they just plasted some heating pads on the bottom with a couple of switches on the panel to turn them on.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #3

State: New Hampshire
THOR #1689
Hi,
Page 100 of my owners manual states "Your vehicle's holding tanks compartments are heated by furnace duct work. It will heat the tanks when the furnace is operating."
Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not sure about the Tuscany.

On my Challenger there is a furnace duct which heats the holding tank compartments and a couple of storage compartments. The duct is opened ended without a grate and provides heat whenever the furnace is running. I only have one furnace and do not have heat strips in the AC units. Since my unit has heater ducts in the floor and AC ducts in the ceiling I imagine heat strips with the AC would not supply the tank storage area.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4816
My Vegas 24.1 has heating pads on the holding tanks with a switch to turn them on. I turned them on recently to see how they work. Placing my hand against the pad, I could not feel any heat. The outside temperature was in the low 70s so I wondered if perhaps they do not heat to that level and, consequently, I couldn't feel any heat. How hot do the pads get? Should I be able to feel the heat with my hand?

Freezing temps are predicted for NE Florida this weekend and I want to make sure my tanks are OK. Just to be safe, I may add some antifreeze, but am still curious about the heating pads. If they are not working, is there a fuse or breaker that needs to be checked? Where is it? Thanks, Carol
Old 01-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
They are controlled by a thermostat and won't come on until its cold enough. They will keep them warm enough to not freeze and not really get that warm to the touch.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #7

THOR #4816
JamieG, thanks for your quick response. Thermostat--now why didn't I think of that. Guess I'll wait until it is freezing outside and then see if I can feel any heat. The predicted freeze for the weekend is expected to hit 31 or 32 F. so it's really not in the "big worry" category. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Freezing

We have a Hurricane S31 . Last night after snow storm, outside temperature dipped to 1 degree. All night RV furnace worked.In the morning water lines were safe and working. Hurricane heating system made enough heat in basement compartment to keep the temp above freezing but unfortunately we learned the hard way that there is no heating in the wet bay with the black and gray tanks. The gray tank seems to have frozen.

In the morning the grey tank handle was stuck. Temp is now above freezing and gray tank control valve moves well now but no water comes out. Black is OK; when I pull the valve it runs into the sewer hose.

Any ideas on how to prevent this happening with the gray tank? It would be nice if there was a furnace hose in that wet bay compartment as there is in fresh water compartment and other compartments. Barring that it would be nice for Thor to advise the customer sewer compartments does not have heating like others compartments.

Would it be a good idea to dump some pink antifreeze in the sink for Grey water holding tank in very freezing weather?
Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz102 View Post
We have a Hurricane S31 . Last night after snow storm, outside temperature dipped to 1 degree. All night RV furnace worked.In the morning water lines were safe and working. Hurricane heating system made enough heat in basement compartment to keep the temp above freezing but unfortunately we learned the hard way that there is no heating in the wet bay with the black and gray tanks. The gray tank seems to have frozen.

In the morning the grey tank handle was stuck. Temp is now above freezing and gray tank control valve moves well now but no water comes out. Black is OK; when I pull the valve it runs into the sewer hose.

Any ideas on how to prevent this happening with the gray tank? It would be nice if there was a furnace hose in that wet bay compartment as there is in fresh water compartment and other compartments. Barring that it would be nice for Thor to advise the customer sewer compartments does not have heating like others compartments.

Would it be a good idea to dump some pink antifreeze in the sink for Grey water holding tank in very freezing weather?
Best solution for gray - if connected to sewer - is to leave the valve open... Then no measurable water to freeze.
We leave ours open except the day before dumping black (collect some water to flush the hose...)

If not connected - even with heated pads on the tanks - the drain pipe/valve is exposed to freezing. Antifreeze can help - but would add just after dumping to insure it starts in the value/drain pipe area - and remember it will get diluted as the tank fills.

Black can be more challenging - as don't want to leave that valve open... but sounds like you didn't have an issue there...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz102
Yes that is a simple solution. You'll want a significant amount of antifreeze (e.g. more than a cup). I'd use a 1/2 gallon or so.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
(Our unit also has heated holding tanks but they just plasted some heating pads on the bottom with a couple of switches on the panel to turn them on.)

Same on ours, but there aren't even lights that tell you they are on, just the small rocker switch. Have to assume they are on, if the switches are switched on.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Best solution for gray - if connected to sewer - is to leave the valve open... Then no measurable water to freeze.
We leave ours open except the day before dumping black (collect some water to flush the hose...)
This seems to be contrary to most recommendations from the "experts" in both of the large motorhome forums. There were even a few reports about sewer rats entering the tanks through the open valves.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
This seems to be contrary to most recommendations from the "experts" in both of the large motorhome forums. There were even a few reports about sewer rats entering the tanks through the open valves.
I have always left grey tank valve open, closing the day before to flush hose after dumping black. I've been RVing a long time and have NEVER heard of rats coming up the hose. I've had mice and squirrels get in around the access hatch but stopped that with a large sponge donut pushed in around the hose.

On our Tuscany the tanks were heated by the furnace, never had a problem, even when temp was around zero. Tank heating pads, like the ones on our Windsport, work like "heat tape" and kick on when temps drop. Shouldn't have a problem as long as they are functioning.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
They are controlled by a thermostat and won't come on until its cold enough. They will keep them warm enough to not freeze and not really get that warm to the touch.
Don't heating pads have insulation on the outside of heating elements? Not sure since I haven't owned heated tanks, but would seem like a waste of energy if heating elements were just exposed to cold air.

Just questioning how they are built because if there is insulation on outside, it may be nearly impossible to tell if heat is on by touching outside of insulation.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Don't heating pads have insulation on the outside of heating elements? Not sure since I haven't owned heated tanks, but would seem like a waste of energy if heating elements were just exposed to cold air.

Just questioning how they are built because if there is insulation on outside, it may be nearly impossible to tell if heat is on by touching outside of insulation.
They aren't very thick (maybe 1/4" - 1/2" if that) and appear to be a urethane or "rubberish" material. For many owners they've peeled right off (another issue entirely, speaking of which I should check mine at the next opportunity). Much like heat-tape, these are about as insulated as heat-tape.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:36 AM   #16

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
We just got back from a trip to North central Florida where the temperatures over the weekend dipped to the mid 20's and wind chills even lower! I went outside the first cold evening to check on my wet bay and tank compartments. There was a nice warm blast of air coming from the wet bay where the grey & black tanks and water pump are located. I then went to the other side and checked the compartment where the fresh water tank is at and also had warm air coming from it as well. So I did confirm that all of my tanks, wet bay, and water pump are heated by the forced air furnace on my 2017 ACE 30.3
I had no freezing problems for the two days that the temps were below 30°

Steven B.
S/W Florida
Old 01-09-2017, 02:58 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
They aren't very thick (maybe 1/4" - 1/2" if that) and appear to be a urethane or "rubberish" material. For many owners they've peeled right off (another issue entirely, speaking of which I should check mine at the next opportunity). Much like heat-tape, these are about as insulated as heat-tape.
And they also function with the knowledge that heat rises. That is the reason that they are applied underneath the tanks (actually a poor location, because they can get ripped off by whatever flies around there - like it happened to mine), and not in the rather protected areas on top of the tanks.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:10 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
The heat pads need to be on the bottom not just because heat rises. The bottom is where the water is that might freeze without protection. The top is or should be an air space, useless to heat because the air will not freeze.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #19

THOR #3770
On our Vegas 24.1 we have heating pads. One of ours fell off on the first trip. The other was pealing off when we had the first reattached. Camping World reattached using some super-whammy-dyne tape, that 5 months later is also pealing off. Not too worried here in Key West about needing the pads, but may be going north in the spring.

What type of tape or glue is recommended to "firmly" attach the pads. I'm going to clean the outside when I next get under the bus.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Personally I would use 3M Weather Strip adhesive, stuff sticks firmly to just about anything at any reasonable temp.

Tanks on our Windsport are enclosed in the wet bay and are protected from weather and road hazards.

Tags
heat pump, heated, holding tanks