Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I don’t think knowledge is the same as ability.

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t have the same mental ability as when I was 21. I may have more knowledge, and be wiser, but that’s not the same as having the same cognitive ability.

As it relates to driving, being wiser will allow me to reduce risks, but my ability to handle emergencies may not be as great. As we get older and older the decline due to aging can no longer be offset with experience or knowledge.

My mother gave up driving willingly, but my dad didn’t like it at all. It had to be done though in the interest of public safety and their own. Both were well into 80s.

That's the precise point where wisdom comes into the picture.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #62

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
Tuning

No, we don't but even if they haven't done better than 43 hp and 47 ft-lbs it would be great. I will get current numbers and report back
Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 PM   #63

THOR #14024
Cognitive Ability

Hmm, our whole country is being run by geriatrics that make me look young. I take a two hour driving test every year because of a cataract and macular delamination in one eye. Tough test, So I'm not worried about that. Endurance , yup we will drive fewer hours per day. I have altered almost everything to be less than 30 lbs. of force when needed in repairs or boating or towing... The stabilization and handling mods make the RV very manageable. Its getting used to its form factor that is the hardest. The rear wheels are so... far back when you are a newbie... Otherwise, watch out caus' here we come, ta dum ta dum...
lol
Old 01-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #64

THOR #11130
I remember a few years ago seeing an 81 year old man (verified) driving a Prevost Coach...the size Rock Stars travel in. All black and chrome and looked like a British Double-Decker. I thought to myself...what a disaster!! Having a CDL for most of my life I could not understand how anyone his age could legally drive something that huge without a commercial license. Now I would go over and "high Five" him...you go Gramps!! The bigger the vehicle, the easier they are to drive. It's only speed and lack of common sense that makes it dangerous...that comes at all ages. Slow down...Save the Guardrails!

Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 AM   #65

THOR #14024
Age and Cognitive Impament

Quote:
Research shows cognitive decline can be measured by age 45. Initial decline is slower, but accelerates as we get older.
According to Alzheimer data, 1 in 3 seniors above age 65 dies with signs of Alzheimer’s or other dementia. That doesn’t mean they died due to dementia, just that it was present at time of death.
Scientists thought dementia only affected individuals for a few years (like less than 10) before they died, but now it’s known that dementia can start as much as 20 years or more prior to death.
Hate to say it, but seniors with some level of cognitive impairment are far more common than most of us think. Caring for very old seniors can make one much more aware of the signs. It’s an epidemic.
P.S. — Data suggest women are at higher risk than men.
First of all, I appreciate your concern. For the most part I have not reacted to the discussion of age here except to note that I am aware of the reduction in reaction time, strength and endurance that age brings.

However, the subject of cognitive ability and age is something quite different.
The fact that 33% of those who die have signs of dementia makes perfect sense given the process of dying (brain death and process cessation). Yet that has no relationship at all to the fact that some can exhibit the effects of dementia up 20 years before death (neither correlation nor causation).

Your statement that cognitive impairment is much more common in seniors also has no statistical relationship to either of your earlier statements and is a huge problem. The perception of cognitive impairment as a function of age is cultural. In our society, it is a huge prejudice that has a self-fulfilling process.

Both my wife and I have worked with “seniors”. Lynne worked in public health (Aging and Independent Services) and I took care of seniors in the Netherlands, worked in medical strategic planning and took care of my mother until she was 99. We have both seen diagnosed impairment disappear. Among many others, my mother, was medically diagnosed with dementia and recovered. Medically tested free of it.

Much of what is observed as impairment has to do with our culture’s tendency to isolate and under stimulate “seniors”. My mother recovered as a function of retraining her mind. She had to stop being retired (interesting and intended word play).

Because this entire age issue came from my call for help in how to compensate for our more limited physical capabilities, I think I might respond to the cognitive impairment issue personally.

I am an expert in topological semiotics, a branch of mathematics applied to the cognitive process of developing the relationship between meaning and symbols. I use abstract mathematics, logic and statistics as a tool. To learn how to do that, I had to leave the United States because there was no academic base for it in the US at all and I went to very good schools.

Applications have been as broad as developing a way to compound plastics made from potato starch instead of oil, fixing the genome assembly algorithms and winning 20 of the 30 elections I applied it to. I am just finishing the sale of a new development that will be used in Forex trading.

As an example of the danger in this type of logic and reasoning about impairment, I can make an assertion about youth that is equally as inaccurate as the senior age reasoning provided.

The young in America rank 31st out of the top 40 industrialized nations, just after Slovakia in mathematical ability. My daughter studied integral calculus in a Dutch standard non-college-prep school at age nine (5th grade) not grade nine or later. Many college educated Americans never study calculus until grade 12 or later and never are taught formal logic or abstract thinking at all.

Therefore young Americans' cognitive ability has been permanently impaired because they never were allowed to build the neural connections needed for abstract reasoning (there are plenty of research papers at HHS that reflect this belief and say that children so deprived can never recover).

My point is that applying ourselves to new problems, experiences and solutions is how one keeps from being and, certainly slows, becoming cognitively impaired. As they say in Australia, “No worries mate!”
Old 01-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #66

THOR #11130
Well stated. It's all a part of the slow process and intentional "Dumbing down America" that people don't see happening.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #67

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post

.....cut.....

Because this entire age issue came from my call for help in how to compensate for our more limited physical capabilities, I think I might respond to the cognitive impairment issue personally.

.....cut.....
Yes, it appears very personal to you, and it’s unfortunate that you tried to dismiss the seriousness of this issue.

It’s personal to me also, and when you see loved ones who don’t recognize their own children, can’t speak correctly, or feed themselves because they don’t know what to do with a fork, it can seem extremely real.

Believe what you want, but if you actually think that age doesn’t affect the probability of Alzheimer’s or other dementia, I respectfully suggest you get tested yourself. I did, because I wanted to know if I’m genetically predisposed; and luckily I’m not.

Beyond genetics, the rest comes down to lifestyle choices we can influence. I strongly suggest everyone research what they can do to reduce their risks because this is one horrible illness for everyone involved.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #68

THOR #11130
This "Old Man" said it very well....

Old 01-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #69

THOR #10907
Wow. Just wow.

Maybe we should debate homosexuality here too. I would bet there's a few that still think it's a choice. Are any of you guys members of the Flat Earth Society? lol.

You know all of this makes perfect sense. They say you come into this world in diapers and leave in diapers. The human brain's (especially the male brain) ability to reason and understand future consequences literally atrophies roughly 15-20 years after birth. It makes perfect sense that it would do the same thing 15-20 years before death. hahahahaha.

I thought about going into things like the fact that all cells have a lifespan. Or the research on aging being done here in the SF Bay Area at places like Stanford, an area that's not exactly being "dumbed down". lol. Or the explanation of how my FIL (deaf for years without both hearing aids) lost his sight at 85 and suddenly could hear people whisper across the room WITHOUT his hearing aids, but he still has extremely advanced dementia. Or the example of my father who at 84 thought nothing of driving his new Jaguar 100+mph 2 days before he went to the hospital for a routine test, had a massive stroke and was dead a week later. Or the family member everyone "thought" was ok, but when in the ICU figuring out if the plug should be pulled the dr's did a brain scan and found "SEVERE brain atrophy".

And to give Ronald Reagan as an example? So many lolz!!!!!!!! He was diagnosed 5 years after office. I know from my experience with my MIL who died of Alzheimer's that we knew something was wrong YEARS before she was diagnosed. These things don't happen overnight. It's science dammit. Ignorance does not mean reality. Meaning if your ignorance makes you think the earth is flat, it doesn't make it so in reality. All cells have a lifespan and degrade with age. It's as basic as that.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #70

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Wow. Just wow.

cut...Maybe we should debate homosexuality here too...cut cut...being done here in the SF Bay Area...cut

Maybe it's just men in general you have issues with....? LOLOLOL
Old 01-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #71

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Maybe it's just men in general you have issues with....? LOLOLOL
Care to elaborate on that? Go ahead, say what you meant.

Before you do though, keep this in mind...

en boca cerrada no entran moscas

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #72

THOR #14024
About cognitive impairment... a last word

Quote:
Yes, it appears very personal to you, and it’s unfortunate that you tried to dismiss the seriousness of this issue.

It’s personal to me also, and when you see loved ones who don’t recognize their own children, can’t speak correctly, or feed themselves because they don’t know what to do with a fork, it can seem extremely real.

Believe what you want, but if you actually think that age doesn’t affect the probability of Alzheimer’s or other dementia, I respectfully suggest you get tested yourself. I did, because I wanted to know if I’m genetically predisposed; and luckily I’m not.

Beyond genetics, the rest comes down to lifestyle choices we can influence. I strongly suggest everyone research what they can do to reduce their risks because this is one horrible illness for everyone involved.
Dear Chance,

I don't take it personally as about me and I have seen all of that and more. I understand your pain if you are going through it yourself and, if so, please accept my condolences and support.

However, I never said that age doesn't have an affect on the probability of impairment, I disputed the relationship between 1/3 of all who die showing signs of impairment and the assumption that this is an indicator of the prevalence in the general population. I also dispute the implication that that impairment is generally distributed 20 years before death among those who show signs of impairment. I have done work in the medical records industry and HHS and the government itself thinks that a large majority of the research done uses poor to bad statistical analysis. I have also noticed that data points like the ones you mentioned are sometimes used to support invalid assumptions.

As for my needing a test because I believe the extent of impairment is different than you believe, I forgive you and understand that your reaction is due to your pain. Lastly I think that this should be an end to this subject within the thread.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:06 PM   #73

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
The data wasn’t mine, you can see it at Alzheimer’s .org.

Nothing personal whatsoever meant. You’re not disagreeing with me. As to getting tested, I would highly recommend most everyone get tested regardless. If nothing else we can plan our futures better so we impact our children to lesser degree. For me it was a free and painless DNA test, and the peace of mind of knowing I’m not at elevated risk is priceless.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #74

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
With the possible exception of Alzheimer, senility or a physical impairment age seems to not be an issue. I just turned 60 am one of younger of the older group of racers. Some of the guys I go against are old enough to be my Grandfather.

I do see effects of age myself. I am not as quick as I once was, sometimes it takes me longer to remember a name or such. Everything else seems fine for the most part. I know there are things I used to do that cannot be done now.

I can still compete with Grandsons at video games. Not as easy to win now.

I can still be effective drag racing evidenced by winning one of the first pair of points races. Starting the year off with positive cash flow is nice after struggling last 2 years.

Driving/towing with RV is still no issue. Wife and I are both effective driving. I seriously doubt if either us could be considered a hazard to navigation. I expect we can continue for at least the next 10 years unless some health issue arises.

I do see plenty of all ages that should be walking. I guess drivers ed never told them no tailgating or running side by side. Defensive driving and proper spacing was one of the first things we learned, always have escape route.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #75

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
You can get a free tuner from Sirius with subscription. https://shop.siriusxm.com/radios/ they play thru your radio & need a small puck like antenna, size is between a quarter & 50 cent piece.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #76
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
cool it on some of this talk
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #77

THOR #14024
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Agreed
Old 02-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #78

THOR #14024
Sirius subscription tuner

I have a subscription and a built in in my GMC, but when I called they said that the subscription tuner was an FM or USB connection. The FM connect, even they say has limited quality. The USB is apparently great but the radio in the Vegas doesn't have a rear USB.... Result I may swap out the entire unit. Do you have experience with the subscription tuner? I would like to hear it if you do.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:47 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post

I agree with Frank. He is also being very lenient.

I'm on several forums and a moderator on one, and I have to say, this thread is probably

the best written and well versed thread of any I have ever seen.I have been following it pretty much from the start. I have thoroughly enjoyed it (other then the off topic garbage that was added along the way.)
I said it before and I'll say it again---GO POP.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #80

THOR #14024
I apologize if I have offended anyone here. Lynne and I are most grateful to this community and are looking forward to being active members of it.

Tags
difference, sirius, triton, v10, v11