Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Arizona
THOR #12097
Tow/Haul and Cruise Control

My 2018 Ford E350 Super Duty comes with the Tow/Haul feature. On a recent long trip, I had it activated all the time. But I also run the cruise control. So, do the two work in concert with each other, or does one overrule the other in certain situations?

Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes they work together.

All Tow/haul really does is change the shift pattern of the transmission.

All cruise control does is hold a speed--it doesn't really care what the trans does (its basically a feedback loop between the throttle and the speedometer--when speed falls below setpoint more throttle, when speed raises above setpoint less throttle (yeah a bit simplistic but in general that is how it works)).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:23 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds
THOR #12097
Cool. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Actually, the CC does more than reduce the throttle. If you're heading downhill and gaining speed the cruise control will downshift your transmission to help slow you down. This is a great feature for coming down mountains ans at least on my F53, works better when tow/haul mode is energized.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Actually, the CC does more than reduce the throttle. If you're heading downhill and gaining speed the cruise control will downshift your transmission to help slow you down. This is a great feature for coming down mountains ans at least on my F53, works better when tow/haul mode is energized.
Yes that is true but I don't think that is in cruise control as you can simply tap the brake and the trans will downshift (without cruise being on). (I'm pretty sure this feature is now in all Ford engine calibrations as both our Escapes also do it without any tow/haul feature.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
With CC engaged, mine does the same thing...it will downshift the transmission if going down steep inclines...without tow/haul button engaged. It's simply trying to maintain the speed you have it set for. It's a very aggressive downshift...so much so, I'll disengage CC and just use engine brake, which works much more smoothly.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:49 AM   #7

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCouch View Post
My 2018 Ford E350 Super Duty comes with the Tow/Haul feature. On a recent long trip, I had it activated all the time. But I also run the cruise control. So, do the two work in concert with each other, or does one overrule the other in certain situations?
How did the unit perform with Tow/Haul on?
Were you towing something behind?
Just curious, because I have never used the tow/haul.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #8

Model: Vegas
State: Tennessee
THOR #15946
I actually have a related question. I just bought a thor vegas and I pull about 4000lbs. Mine seems very aggressive when shifting especially on grades with the tow/haul on. Is this ok? I usually disengage it anyway just for a smoother ride but sometimes I can't catch it in time. Just wondering how much I should worry about that.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
In my Axis, I only use the tow/haul on steep downhills where I would have to brake continuously or manually downshift. The tow/haul downshifts for you if you lightly tap the brake. It can be aggressive and put some high RPMs on the engine in steep downgrades. When it does, I just disengage it, brake and re-engage it again. It’s a good way to keep from overheating your brakes and ending up with little or no brakes after a long, steep downgrade.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #10

Model: Vegas
State: Tennessee
THOR #15946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
In my Axis, I only use the tow/haul on steep downhills where I would have to brake continuously or manually downshift. The tow/haul downshifts for you if you lightly tap the brake. It can be aggressive and put some high RPMs on the engine in steep downgrades. When it does, I just disengage it, brake and re-engage it again. It’s a good way to keep from overheating your brakes and ending up with little or no brakes after a long, steep downgrade.
Appreciate the input. I will almost always be towing so just curious what was best. It does help limit the braking but man seeing that kind of RPM makes me uneasy.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Is there any proven detriment to using tow/haul all the time?
I've heard/read anecdotal insignificant fuel mileage changes.
I don't care much about rpm due to about a Bazillion v10's being made and their proven longevity.

Anything real that anyone has found?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
T/H alters the normal shift points and, also, increases the transmission fluid pressure to the accumulators, clutches and bands. This makes the shifts abrupt, but this saves on clutch wear and helps keep the transmission cool. My coach's transmission shifts into 6th @ 48 mph (1,750 rpm) with T/H out (light throttle). With T/H in, it shifts into 6th @ 63 mph (2,300 rpm).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
All of this is good to know.

I been wondering about the T/H mode. I have never used it (yet). But by next year we hope to have a new Toad so I will use it some im sure.

I feel like the regular down shifting is too aggressive (some times) on steep hills. I would like to hold in like 4 gear longer at like keep around 3500 - 3800 RPM (as long as the MPG are safe) going down a hill and sometimes it will shift to like 3rd gear and be reving around 4500 rpms.... Drives me crazy so I put in N then back to D or D4.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #14

THOR #13932
The internet hasn't enough information for me to find an answer I need:

Is the 6speed select shift(I may be using the wrong name. I mean the six speed that you can select any gear at anytime.) in my f150 so different from the six speed behind my v10 that the v10 trans can't use the select shift data or shifter controls?

So... Can I make my 2018 v10 six speed into a select shift and manually pick my gear?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Is the 6speed select shift(I may be using the wrong name. I mean the six speed that you can select any gear at anytime.) in my f150 so different from the six speed behind my v10 that the v10 trans can't use the select shift data or shifter controls?

So... Can I make my 2018 v10 six speed into a select shift and manually pick my gear?
Can? Yes. Anything cane be done.
Easily? No.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Your Ford gas truck has the 10R80 select shift transmission. A joint venture between Ford and GM. The 10 is the number forward gears and the 80 is the torque rating, 800 neuton-meters. The Ford F-53 and heavy Ford truck transmission (torque shift) is the 6R140 - six speeds and rated for 1400 neuton-meters of torque. The computers for the transmission are very different. That said the Ford SD V-10 gas truck and Diesel truck have the 6-sp transmission (6R140) with select shift and with the proper computers. So find a wrecked Ford V-10 SD and pull both computers and swap them over with the cabin shift quadrent. Then find a computer programmer to reprogram the engine computer to fit the chassis parameters. As said before what kind of budget do you have?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #17

THOR #15969
I try to only use CC on flat or lightly rolling terrain, once it starts getting aggressive I usually turn it off. I used tow haul mode on steeper hills and mountains but I also find it useful for stop-and-go traffic it helps to slow down the vehicle.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #18

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Your Ford gas... (v10)... what kind of budget do you have?
I'd put $1,000 toward development and me getting the first workable unit.
If people pay $550 for a five star, they might easily pay $1,000 for this set up.
Paddle shifters on my 24.1 would be quite valuable.
Here's extremely unknowledgable but wanton me, offering a very knowledgeable you, a business deal
Pm me if you're interested. It shouldn't take much to sell 50 of them on this forum alone