Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
an onboard generator was on my high list....a primary reason for getting a motorhome over a TT.
I'm not boondocking for days running it 24/7, but I love the ability to run the AC off grid.
We use it on super hot days on the highway for the house AC, and have used it a few times stopping for a few hours in the evening before bed or for a lunch break or such.... and for my morning coffee

An big inverter battery system like this with engine mounted alternator would work too for most of my needs, and i can imagine a day when this type of idea will overtake current technology.

I have often wondered why they don't install a smaller generator in place of the onans, more like the honda that FW describes. Maybe a hybrid of an inverter system, plus a smaller generator like his Honda on ly integrally mounted, to supplement for longer term needs might be an answer

Another thought..... my wife's honda van has technology now that automatically shuts down cylinders when the power isn't needed. I can imagine a chassis engine mounted generator, where the engine could run on reduced cylinders for extended idle times..... why carry around two engines when one will do?

Newer generators like the QD6000 are inverter generators, basically "shutting down" unneeded output while they run. although I don't need to run mine during day for A/C (dash unit cools coach well enough) I do use portables (Honda 2000's and Champion 3100) when boondocking. I wouldn't consider any MH that didn't have a generator of any kind. Always have a back up plan.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #102

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Sprinter Alternator Option

This new 120-Amp alternator option at 58 Volts for Mercedes Sprinter OEM bracket is something I had not seen before, and shows aftermarket vendors realizing the need to address the shift to 48-Volt (nominal) electrical systems.

The initial post almost 4 years ago was about Roadtrek introducing an innovative system that was ahead of its time, but was limited to 3,500 watts (which in fairness was plenty for AGM batteries). This new alternator is rated at over 6,000 watts, making it possible to charge a large lithium battery bank in a matter of a couple of hours.

Product release: Alternator for Mercedes-Benz Sprinter N62 Bracket - American Power Systems, Inc.®

P.S. — I think it’s wrong to think these types of motorhomes don’t have generators. Electricity is generated in a different manner using the vehicle’s engine, but in effect it’s still a generator. Again, not for everyone, but for some owners the entire system is better.