Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #24541
Refrigerator question

We have a 2018 Thor Palazzo 36.3. Just bought it used in August. We embarked this morning on a cross country adventure and noticed the refrigerator doesn't run automatically while driving. I texted with Thor Customer Service and they suggested running the generator but mentioned an inverter option. Does anyone care to educate this novice?

Old 11-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Yes, inverter needs to be on when running refrigerator.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Sounds like you have a 110V AC residential type fridge. These require AC from shore power, a generator or an inverter. You coach may have an inverter or it may not. If it does have one, turn it on and it will probably power the fridge.

But realize that the power to run the inverter is coming from the batteries. While you are driving the chassis alternator should keep them charged. But when you stop if you don't plug into shore power or start your generator, the batteries will start to run down.

How long they last depends on the battery size, how you use the fridge and other DC loads like lights, etc.

You may also have solar panels which will help keep the batteries up depending on wattage and whether you are parked in the sun or not.

David
Old 11-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
What was said in the posts above.

Also, you need to check your battery bank
6v or 12v?
How many?
Were they recently replaced?
Are they Flooded Lead Acid (needing water) or AGM?

Bottom line…if they’re the original batteries, it’s in your interest to replace for worry-free travels.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:23 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
And, your use/store switch needs to be in use.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:44 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnylitz1956 View Post
We have a 2018 Thor Palazzo 36.3. Just bought it used in August. We embarked this morning on a cross country adventure and noticed the refrigerator doesn't run automatically while driving. I texted with Thor Customer Service and they suggested running the generator but mentioned an inverter option. Does anyone care to educate this novice?

Going to Thor archives for your motorhome model, specifications indicate you have a residential (120-Volt only) refrigerator, plus a 2,000-Watt inverter, with 4 house batteries.

While driving, engine alternator should supply electrical power to batteries, which then feed inverter, and inverter powers the refrigerator. If you are not getting electrical power at fridge, it could be many things, including bad batteries, inverter not on or not working, etc.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:51 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo
State: Nebraska
THOR #23093
We have a 2016 Thor Palazzo and the refrigerator just died. It doesn’t look like fun to get the old one out of the RV through the door..any ideas? Door is 23.5” wide and refrigerator without door is 25.25” Will a typical home refrigerator work to replace it? Any other items I should know regarding replacement…. Please and thanks.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:03 PM   #8

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojapet View Post
We have a 2016 Thor Palazzo and the refrigerator just died. It doesn’t look like fun to get the old one out of the RV through the door..any ideas? Door is 23.5” wide and refrigerator without door is 25.25” Will a typical home refrigerator work to replace it? Any other items I should know regarding replacement…. Please and thanks.
When I was seasonal for a while the RV fridge went out and I didn't need an RV fridge so I went to the store after taking measurements of the largest one that would fit. I bought a frost free one and it was much larger inside. I still own it today it's my beer and pop fridge now after going through a flood. I needed to cut the opening larger but it was 100% better than the RV fridge
Old 02-21-2023, 07:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
The windshield may have to be removed if it won't fit through the door.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:11 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Your fridge has a front to back (deep) measurement that should fit thru the RV door once the fridge door is removed.
Think: counter depth fridge which generally run 23-27” deep w/ door attached