Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #21
Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Georgia
Posts: 2,486
THOR #4735
I believe the 'master switch' only tells you that you have external 120v Shore power or Generator power, NOT that the switch is in the 'USE' (up) position, which is why this 'illuminated' switch can be misleading...
__________________

__________________
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:01 PM   #22
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
Posts: 54
THOR #14923
If I click the switch, the red light comes on and any 12v operated device will be powered (lights, etc). If off, no lights, reefer, etc.
__________________

__________________
richguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:22 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FW Hurricane
State: England
Posts: 430
THOR #16471
Tread carefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess View Post
If I click the switch, the red light comes on and any 12v operated device will be powered (lights, etc). If off, no lights, reefer, etc.
I tried saying the same thing and got slammed from a couple of angles...
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:54 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Dilley Dilley's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 106
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Dianna View Post
A little confused because when i use shore power the battery disconnect is on and I'm not able to shut it off. When not using shore power i can turn it on and off.
What I dont understand is how does the chassis battery die while it is on shore power.
All of the batteries are dead and all died while it was on shore power. I can't even turn on the inverter.
We haven't even used the coach yet it has been sitting in the driveway. We sterted moving stuff in it and when I checked the inverter for the charge on the batteries it was down to 11 so thats why I plugged it in to charge the batteries up. Instead I drained them all.
On the House Batteries, did you check fluid level in them? I know itís a new rig but I wouldnít take for granted that those batteries were properly maintained. Check to make sure the electrolyte is full to the proper level in each cell. If not, add distilled water to each cell. Without this those house batteries will be worthless.
__________________
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
Posts: 295
THOR #13224
This is a common problem many of us have had. The batteries are mostly out of date before the coach is delivered and in my case out of warranty but Thor did come through with a payment through my dealer who was great to deal with.
The units sit on the dealer lot with lights being left on or just not maintained by plugging them in. I would recommend to anyone buying a new unit to have the dealer do a load test on all of the batteries if possible and replace any that will not hold a charge.
I did not know the batteries were toast until the next spring when I reinstalled them, even though I had been charging them all winter indoors. I battery load tester is not a bad thing to invest in. pretty cheap at Princess Auto in Canada or Harbour Frieght in the States.
BTW I left the batteries in the RV all winter and plugged into shore power for three days a month and they all tested fully charged a day ago
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
__________________
Coveman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,351
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I believe the 'master switch' only tells you that you have external 120v Shore power or Generator power, NOT that the switch is in the 'USE' (up) position, which is why this 'illuminated' switch can be misleading...
It tells you that 12 volts is present. Not on or off. Not 120 volts. Not Generator.

Turn off the converter or inverter/charger and turn on an interior light. It is 12 volts. Now go try the switch. You will soon know which is connected and which is disconnected. Once you figure it out mark the switch
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,351
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Dianna View Post
A little confused because when i use shore power the battery disconnect is on and I'm not able to shut it off. When not using shore power i can turn it on and off.
What I dont understand is how does the chassis battery die while it is on shore power.
All of the batteries are dead and all died while it was on shore power. I can't even turn on the inverter.
We haven't even used the coach yet it has been sitting in the driveway. We sterted moving stuff in it and when I checked the inverter for the charge on the batteries it was down to 11 so thats why I plugged it in to charge the batteries up. Instead I drained them all.
That's because the light is only telling you that 12 volts is present. It does not tell you the position of the switch. Plugged into shore power your converter is supplying 12 volts.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Idaho
Posts: 13
THOR #11186
So, for everyone explaining the light on the switch is always illuminated when plugged into shore power, but it doesnít mean the Battery charger/convertor is powered, how do you know when the switch is actually on and your batteries are being charged?

Iíve had my 2018 Hurricane 34j plugged into shore power all winter and my house batteries are dead. Batteries are new (replaced fall of 2019.) switch was illuminated. Lights inside coach worked so I assumed switch was in on position. My switch also is just a press up switch, not up or down like a light switch. Has anyone changed out the switch for something that actually helps you identify it being ďon?Ē

My Coach is equipped with a Arterra WF-9800 converter, which should charge the house batteries. (when the switch is on) Iím wondering if itís bad or I should upgrade it?

I wish the manufacturer would use common sense when building these things. This is obviously a common issue/question.
__________________
Spc19498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,351
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spc19498 View Post
So, for everyone explaining the light on the switch is always illuminated when plugged into shore power, but it doesnít mean the Battery charger/convertor is powered, how do you know when the switch is actually on and your batteries are being charged?

Iíve had my 2018 Hurricane 34j plugged into shore power all winter and my house batteries are dead. Batteries are new (replaced fall of 2019.) switch was illuminated. Lights inside coach worked so I assumed switch was in on position. My switch also is just a press up switch, not up or down like a light switch. Has anyone changed out the switch for something that actually helps you identify it being ďon?Ē

My Coach is equipped with a Arterra WF-9800 converter, which should charge the house batteries. (when the switch is on) Iím wondering if itís bad or I should upgrade it?

I wish the manufacturer would use common sense when building these things. This is obviously a common issue/question.
Turn off the 15 amp circuit breaker feeding your Converter. Turn on a 12 volt light in your RV. Now turn the Battery Disconnect on or off. The light will go on and off with the Disconnect Switch. With the converter off you will get no 12 volts to the lighting system.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:03 AM   #30
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,943
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spc19498 View Post
So, for everyone explaining the light on the switch is always illuminated when plugged into shore power, but it doesnít mean the Battery charger/convertor is powered, how do you know when the switch is actually on and your batteries are being charged?
The same way the people with no light know what the status of the latching relay is.

There is a recent thread with a wiring mod that will make that light useful and turn the latching relay into a true 12 VDC off relay, not a battery disconnect relay.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:25 AM   #31
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: AXIS 24.1
State: California
Posts: 1
THOR #18192
How do I replace my engine battery on my 2018 Thor Axis 24.1 RUG coach. The battery is pretty well hidden in the engine compartment.
__________________
Mr Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,351
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
How do I replace my engine battery on my 2018 Thor Axis 24.1 RUG coach. The battery is pretty well hidden in the engine compartment.
you will get better response by starting your own thread as this one is about Battery disconnects and latching relays. I don't own one but this is what I found from a quick Google search. You must access the battery thru the passenger side desk top. Remove the fold out tray and the is a piece of plywood that either has a cut out or you must cut out to access the battery.
__________________

__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×