Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Lifeline Batteries?

I recently came across an advertisement in an RV magazine ("Roughing it Smoothly"), for Lifeline Batteries. They sound as if they've been specializing in batteries for RV and Marine applications for quite a while.

http://lifelinebatteries.com/products/rv-batteries/

I had never heard ot them before...

Has anybody in here got any experience with their products? They sure sound good: I wonder how they really work?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #2

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
My buddy Dave, Sundance on this forum, researched them and bought four 6volt for his xte. They are suppose to be top of the line. Dave researches the hell out of stuff. If he says they're good they are. We installed them several months ago. I dont much about batteries but i can say they sure looked nice and seem well buily

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I've come to consider most of the comparisons and arguments about differing battery makers and types a bit much for the 'average' RVr... since most don't use their RVs enough to really worry about the make and type that didn't already come with their coach...
the bent always seems to be 'away' from FLA Flooded Lead Acid batteries, which most any of us will have as stock batteries in our RVs, and toward most anything else to be considered. FLA batteries are well tested, tried, and experienced types of batteries for most any and every RVing scenario that most of us have, or will, experience.

But, I also understand that some just like to have the 'best', or the 'greatest' and 'newest', than anyone else - it's a man thang'.

Some financial considerations and comparisons show, and prove out, that FLA 'regular' batteries are the 'best'(subjective, I know) in most every RVing situations, sans someone who is totally off-grid, and never to return to 120v external or generator power.
That 'someone' is one out of a million.

I still have the same 'stock' FLA batteries from the factory, from day one, and many, many, many overnights and off-grids times in our coach. The arguments will go on, but my 'stock' batteries will too.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
My buddy Dave, Sundance on this forum, researched them and bought four 6volt for his xte. They are suppose to be top of the line. Dave researches the hell out of stuff. If he says they're good they are. We installed them several months ago. I dont much about batteries but i can say they sure looked nice and seem well buily

Jerry
Thanks for some info; from someone who is actually using them...
Old 01-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #5

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks for some info; from someone who is actually using them...
Bob im not using them just helpped dave install his. He bought the agm batteries and they cost a bunch.

I still have my stock batteries ftom the factory. 2-1/2 years okd and still going strong. I mainly do full hooks but some boondocking. These batteries are fine as long as they are maintained

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
No worries: I caught that in your post...
The fact that your buddy researches stuff like this so thoroughly, and then went ahead to get them... That tells me a lot.

I'm also sure that he would have mentioned something to you: if they weren't performing as expected...
Old 01-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #7

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
No worries: I caught that in your post...

The fact that your buddy researches stuff like this so thoroughly, and then went ahead to get them... That tells me a lot.

I'm also sure that he would have mentioned something to you: if they weren't performing as expected...
they are working great for him. Hopefully they last several years. Time will tell
FMCA # F464385
Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 AM   #8

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Texas
THOR #12364
AGM Batteries

I’ve seen the Lifeline batteries advertised and Amazon sells them, personally I would buy the Optima AGM batteries if spending that kind of money. They have a much better dealer network and a proven track record. My current batteries are hard to service and I am getting to the age where I can’t lift those heavy suckers, AGM batteries would eliminate those problems.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If it's a better product, it will usually have a better warranty...this is from their website, which is no different than any other.

"Lifeline Batteries offers one of the best warranties in the industry with our 5-year pro-rate and a one-year free replacement."

Pro-rated doesn't mean anything as it's based on what they determine as the monthly fee for adjustments and it's usually based on a absolute MSRP price, which you will never pay. There's only 3 companies in the U.S. that a make flooded batteries and 4 that make AGM. They label them for all brands. Wonder who makes these for Lifeline? Nearly any battery you buy anywhere will come with a one-year free replacement...most of the mid range ones have a 2 year.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I really like AGM batteries but I also believe in make due with what you have then replacing it with something better.

My OEM house batteries gave out after only 9 mo of use so I replaced with AGM's and Im glad I did.

But everyone has opinions on the best battery, or best pickup truck etc. Just do your research and deside what is best for you.

I been using Full River AGM 6volts for about 8 mo now and they been great. But im sure my OEM were very weak when I got them so it may not be a fair comparison.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If it's a better product, it will usually have a better warranty...this is from their website, which is no different than any other.
"Lifeline Batteries offers one of the best warranties in the industry with our 5-year pro-rate and a one-year free replacement."

Pro-rated doesn't mean anything as it's based on what they determine as the monthly fee for adjustments and it's usually based on a absolute MSRP price, which you will never pay. There's only 3 companies in the U.S. that a make flooded batteries and 4 that make AGM. They label them for all brands. Wonder who makes these for Lifeline? Nearly any battery you buy anywhere will come with a one-year free replacement...most of the mid range ones have a 2 year.
Interesting... Thanks for this info!
Hype, and Truth, seem to rarely get caught holding hands...
Old 01-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #12

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I really like AGM batteries but I also believe in make due with what you have then replacing it with something better.

My OEM house batteries gave out after only 9 mo of use so I replaced with AGM's and Im glad I did.

But everyone has opinions on the best battery, or best pickup truck etc. Just do your research and deside what is best for you.

I been using Full River AGM 6volts for about 8 mo now and they been great. But im sure my OEM were very weak when I got them so it may not be a fair comparison.

I'm just before replacing my originals with the same you have. I rarely leave the coach unplugged so discharging will not be a problem. For the times we boondock, I think the AGM's will hold up much better. The NASCAR race in Atlanta is coming up in a few weeks where I'll have the camper boondocking for nearly 10 days...supplementing power with the house generator and my "Portable Program" of the Champion and the Honda 2000's. If should be a good initial field test. The two 6V's in there now are still good but, with 12 months and ticking, don't want to wait till they tell me what to do.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #13

THOR #12231
There are lots of advantages to AGM's other than maintenance free.

Here is some info from The Battiery University:

"AGM has very low internal resistance, is capable to deliver high currents on demand and offers a relatively long service life, even when deep cycled. AGM is maintenance free, provides good electrical reliability and is lighter than the flooded lead acid type. While regular lead acid batteries need a topping charge every six months to prevent the buildup of sulfation, AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation and can sit in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. The battery stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge.

The leading advantages of AGM are a charge that is up to five times faster than the flooded version, and the ability to deep cycle. AGM offers a depth-of-discharge of 80 percent; the flooded, on the other hand, is specified at 50 percent DoD to attain the same cycle life. The negatives are slightly lower specific energy and higher manufacturing costs than the flooded, but cheaper than the gel battery."

Not sure if I trust the "80%" discharge but I would be afraid of 60%.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #14

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
We have 4 Lifeline AGM 6v in our Monaco we just bought. They seem like batteries to me. You have to make sure that the charger is set for them or they won't last. They are charged and maintained at a lower voltage that water ones.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #15

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
We have 4 Lifeline AGM 6v in our Monaco we just bought. They seem like batteries to me. You have to make sure that the charger is set for them or they won't last. They are charged and maintained at a lower voltage that water ones.

Interesting tidbit...how do you reset the charger or is this possible with the setup in my coach?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #16

THOR #5432
Depends on charger. There should be specific instructions for what kind you have. We have an elaborate Magnum system. It is the charger, inverter, and energy management system that turns on and off systems depending on if you are plugged into 30 or 50 amp.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
There are lots of advantages to AGM's other than maintenance free.
Here is some info from The Battiery University:
"AGM has very low internal resistance, is capable to deliver high currents on demand and offers a relatively long service life, even when deep cycled.
Every AGM battery manufacturer recommends the AGM batteries be charged at NO MORE than 10 to 13% of the batteries amp-hour capability. For a 250 amp-hour 12 volt battery bank, that would 25 to 32.5 amps max. Remember the same lead acid chemistry is involved flooded batteries and AGMs. The advantage for AGMs is the acid is held in suspension and the mat allows much faster recombination of the oxygen and hydrogen gasses. This means no out-gassing unless the battery is charged or discharged too fast or overcharged. Another fact is the glass mat it does not allow the acid to move, so there is no need to equalize and the self-discharge rate of the AGM batteries is 5% of a flooded battery. AGM batteries have slightly less amp-hour capacity than flooded batteries of equal size, because of the extra space taken-up by the mats.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #18

THOR #5432
Actually AGM do need to be equalized just like water batteries. When we got our coach one of the two year old batteries was not reading as high as the others. I contacted Lifeline and was told to run an equalize session or two and the low one came right back to where it was supposed to be.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #19

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Lifeline

We have two six volt Lifeline batteries for house power in our Axis. Around two years old this year I believe. So far, so good.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
Actually AGM do need to be equalized just like water batteries. When we got our coach one of the two year old batteries was not reading as high as the others. I contacted Lifeline and was told to run an equalize session or two and the low one came right back to where it was supposed to be.
Well I dont think the AGM need to be equalized as much as LA from what I have read. Some dont do it at all and they seem to be fine with it. AGM dont like to be boiled as long as the LA battieries....thats why I purchased the Progressive Dynamics 4655 converter (I have not installed it yet - been too cold and no weekend time for me).

PD says they equalize the LA and AGM every 21 hours for 10 minutes. That way its not too hard on the AGM and over time It will keep the batteries from sulfating.

I afraid the OEM single stage converter that is on my Axis will boil my batteries to death so I been use it very sparing until I get my new converter hooked up.