Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Inadequate air conditioning

After using our Gemini in some very warm weather this summer, the one AC in back, ducted throughout, just doesn't provide enough cooling. After trying fans strategically placed, I gave up, dropped it off at the dealer today, to have a second matching low profile roof ac installed. It will be wired, to a second outlet, next to the existing one, will run a Y connector from both, to a standard RV electrical cord and plug into 50 amp service. This should solve that problem, I hope.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:16 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #8682
Keep me posted because we have a 2017 four winds 31L and our a/c cannot cool ours either. Would like to know how much this costs. We are in Texas and we are totally disappointed with the a/c.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:51 AM   #3

THOR #5821
Will let you know, when I get the final costs. I know I increased costs, by matching the one already mounted on the roof, but thought that was the way to do. I did not, however spec the added one to be a heat pump, which the existing one is. I am also having them tie it into the existing ductwork in the ceiling, more $$'s, and because of access problems to the existing thermostat in the bedroom, adding an additional one in front for the added unit. Probably better to do it that way for temperature sensing purposes. With the required wiring, molding, ceiling kits, probably some pretty good labor costs, and the unit cost will probably be in the $12 to $1300.00 range, but without it, the motorhome is just not usable in warm temperatures.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:45 AM   #4

THOR #8682
Mine is not usable in the heat either. We did check the back a/c vents and the ducts were completely open to the back wall without insulation. So you might have them insulate the whole back
Old 10-03-2017, 03:10 AM   #5

Model: Vegas
THOR #2485
One thing to look into is to examine if the hot air return is mixing with the cold air flow. On my Vegas when I took down the AC vent covers I found there was a foam block separating the the two airflows. The hot air return was being routed through two side vent and up through the front duct. The problem was that block was only being held in place by friction and got blown out of position by the difference in air pressure causing the hot and cool air flows to mix together. I solved the problem by putting the foam block back into position and taping it into place with reflective tape for duct work. There are videos on YouTube that explain how RV A/C's work, but none of them show the exact same configuration as mine because of the ductwork forcing the cold air through the roof and out of the vents in the bedroom and ect.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:18 AM   #6

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
We live in AZ and pretty much can't travel to anything higher in temps than 80'F. Again this year for our summer vacation (because the Mrs. is a teacher) we headed to CO. We also went to central CA but traveling through the desert is really only done in the early mornings. Saying that we have looked into adding a additional AC in the rear of the coach. It is supposed to be wired for a additional AC unit. However as mentioned your coach now needs a 50 amp service. Not to mention a capable generator. It's sad that they (manufactures) can't use some sort of material that can insulate better or have better performing AC units. We did find that some of the ducting was not aligned and they fixed that but it only made a slight difference. One Class A owner we talked to, when it is hot, tapes a home furnace intake filter to a couple of windows and has a water drip system and then turns on the upper ceiling fan to draw in cool air. It would be a nice option until you have to drive.....
Old 10-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post

.....cut..... One Class A owner we talked to, when it is hot, tapes a home furnace intake filter to a couple of windows and has a water drip system and then turns on the upper ceiling fan to draw in cool air. It would be a nice option until you have to drive.....
Sounds like an attempt at a home made swamp cooler, or evaporative cooler, which only work in very dry climates. In most of the US, particularly along Gulf Coast, Florida, etc., where humidity is high during summer heat, that approach won't work. If anything the added humidity will just add more load on the A/C, thereby making the RV even mugger.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:33 AM   #8

THOR #5821
As for the electrical service requirement, the Gemini has only a 30 amp service. The second air conditioner will be separately powered via a second 30 amp plug which will mount next to the existing 30 amp plug. I can power it one of two ways, either a separate second 30 amp cable to an adapter so it can be plugged into the 50 amp outlet on the pedestal, or I can run a Y connector from the two outlets, plug a single 50 amp cable into it, and into the 50 amp service on the pedestal. Since the new AC will draw no more than 15 amps, total draw will never exceed 45 amps from the 50 amp pedestal. As far as on the road, if necessary, I can still run the rear AC off the generator, and the dash air does a decent job of keeping the front cool. Really looking forward to being able to stay comfortable inside in warm weather, and I know our dog will appreciate it too.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
I'll be following this thread too! Having the dealership check out my AC as I'm not sure my AC is actual working (still under warranty) but now am realizing it may just be inadequate for the Gemini. I'm wondering if you looked into replacing the existing unit with an upgraded AC?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #10

THOR #5821
The existing AC works fine, will get the rear of the MH very cool, just can't get enough cool air up front. I actually am installing a second identical unit, almost, the second AC will not be a heat pump, which the existing rear AC is.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:19 AM   #11

THOR #5821
Would you believe its finally going to be ready to pickup on Friday. The major delay was an HWH hydraulic leveling system I had installed. Its shipment was delayed over two weeks, and service stalls with lift racks weren't available for another four days or so. Will go out in it in a week or two, but don't know much I will be able to test the AC since its not that warm at this time of year, though I can try the heat pump part of it. It is a heat pump despite what I originally thought we had ordered. Will certainly get use out of the leveling system. Other things done, hardwired a surge and voltage regulator, new seals on entry door, fresh water leak from tank connection fixed, and probably 8 or more other minor things since warrantee ended the end of October.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 AM   #12

Model: Vegas
THOR #2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
The existing AC works fine, will get the rear of the MH very cool, just can't get enough cool air up front. I actually am installing a second identical unit, almost, the second AC will not be a heat pump, which the existing rear AC is.
On hot days you'll get a tremendous amount of heat radiating in through the windshield. There are two things we do to insulate ourselves.

1) We put a big panel of reflectix between the front shade and the windshield.

2) We lower the upper bunk slightly, tuck in blankets to cover from floor to ceiling, then raise the bunk again to hold the blankets in place.

This blocks off most of the heat to the front cab, allowing the A/C to cool down the rest of the rig

It also helps if you get the insulated pillows to stuff into the two ceiling fan vents and block any heat from coming from the roof.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post
On hot days you'll get a tremendous amount of heat radiating in through the windshield. There are two things we do to insulate ourselves.

1) We put a big panel of reflectix between the front shade and the windshield.

2) We lower the upper bunk slightly, tuck in blankets to cover from floor to ceiling, then raise the bunk again to hold the blankets in place.

This blocks off most of the heat to the front cab, allowing the A/C to cool down the rest of the rig

It also helps if you get the insulated pillows to stuff into the two ceiling fan vents and block any heat from coming from the roof.
You'll get better results if you get an outside cover for the window--block the heat before it gets in the coach instead of letting it in and then reflecting it back out.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I hope that the second A/C unit does the job...
Do you think that adding a couple of fans might help?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #3441
Take a look inside the ducts.

I was reading the thread this morning and have the same issue on my Vegas 24.1.. So i decided to take off the vent covers. You will notice on the two most forward and back that the channel continues beyond the vent. I looked at the size and thought to take a plastic shim and wedge it in directly after the vent. Additionally, while i was there i shaved the foam to direct the airflow. I noticed a difference once i turned back on the A/C.

Thanks tmshih for making me think about this !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	7690  
Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
I'll be following this thread too! Having the dealership check out my AC as I'm not sure my AC is actual working (still under warranty) but now am realizing it may just be inadequate for the Gemini. I'm wondering if you looked into replacing the existing unit with an upgraded AC?
Buy a laser temperature gun point it at the incoming air and it will tell you the temperature. This will tell you if the a/c is working properly. I believe they sell them at Harbor Freight and are very reasonable now. I use mine all the time.
Also you can do the mod in the Jerry's modification section and add a vent in your cover. I did it to mine and made a big difference. Also do what you can to block the hot sun from entering your coach.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #17

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You'll get better results if you get an outside cover for the window--block the heat before it gets in the coach instead of letting it in and then reflecting it back out.
Agree Jamie, The best investment we made was getting those Magnashades for the outside of the windshield. The side window shades also save those inside side window shades that fell apart in one year.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Here is a smile mod you can do to increase the output of cool ail from your AC. Buy a rotating vent from Amazon, remove inside cover, cut hole, and install the vent. Installing the vent will make a significant increase to the air output, it install directly below the AC exhaust, can be rotated to direct cooling, and can be done in less than 30 minutes. Several of us on the forum have done this mod with great results.

I have dual ACs and like being able to direct the flow. The factory ceiling vents are restrictive and useless in my opinion and even the quick cool vents on the inside cover still restrict some air flow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	495692CB-CBEB-4BAC-ABE6-E727F26D6528.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	7691
Old 11-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #19
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Agree Jamie, The best investment we made was getting those Magnashades for the outside of the windshield. The side window shades also save those inside side window shades that fell apart in one year.
Thanks Kev for the great deal.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #20

THOR #5821
I always, at least in hot weather, put an outside sun screen on the windshield, and keep the cab shades closed on the side the sun is on. It makes a difference, most certainly, but decided to bite the proverbial bullet and go with the second AC and heat pump, for that added reserve. If I don't have to use it most of the time, great, but it will be there when we do need it. Apparently our tolerance for heat, my wife's, our dogs and mine, is lower than for a lot of folks.