Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
BiPAP or CPAP use

My wife uses a BiPAP machine nightly. Wonderful machine!

Today I bought a 300 watt inverter to run it when we are not on shore power. I am considering a third house battery and wiring it to the batteries under the steps. I would put the battery in the outside storage bay on the drivers side under the bed.

Here are my questions:

1. What size wire should I use between batteries? And do I just hook to one of the two batteries under the steps, or do I hook to one positive and one negative on the two different batteries?

2. My plan is to then install a 12V plug near the bed to plug the inverter in. I would have the plug wired to the battery in the storage bay.

3. I purchased a portable 150 Watt solar panel kit to recharge when boondocking. My thought is to hook the solar to the battery in the storage bay to keep the battery topped off. Your thoughts?

4. We are joining a 7 vehicle caravan February 8th for a tour of Baja, Mexico of 28 days. We will be boondocking for several (3-4) days a couple times and really don't believe I will need the generator. Again, your thoughts?

I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1.

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
My wife uses a BiPAP machine nightly. Wonderful machine!

Today I bought a 300 watt inverter to run it when we are not on shore power. I am considering a third house battery and wiring it to the batteries under the steps. I would put the battery in the outside storage bay on the drivers side under the bed.

Here are my questions:

1. What size wire should I use between batteries? And do I just hook to one of the two batteries under the steps, or do I hook to one positive and one negative on the two different batteries?

2. My plan is to then install a 12V plug near the bed to plug the inverter in. I would have the plug wired to the battery in the storage bay.

3. I purchased a portable 150 Watt solar panel kit to recharge when boondocking. My thought is to hook the solar to the battery in the storage bay to keep the battery topped off. Your thoughts?

4. We are joining a 7 vehicle caravan February 8th for a tour of Baja, Mexico of 28 days. We will be boondocking for several (3-4) days a couple times and really don't believe I will need the generator. Again, your thoughts?

I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1.

Thanks!
Keith,

Depending on the make and model of the BiPaP machine you may be able to get a battery pack or 12V power supply and use the machine in travel mode. For instance ResMed machines can be hooked to the RPSII power station for 13 hours of power when camping. Have you considered that route?

I believe in the Vegas you are running 12 volt batteries so connecting a second or third battery will have to be done in a parallel configuration. You will connect positive to positive and negative to negative. The size of the wire will be determined by the distance between the batteries.

Also, you mention solar charging, keep in mind that unless you isolate that battery, the solar will charge all of the batteries connected in parallel.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That is a pretty long run for putting in a 3rd battery. I understand the desire to have a battery near the bed, though.

It would probably be easier to put the 3rd battery in the passenger front outside storage and simply run the wires for the 12V outlet to the rear (that way the jumpers between the batteries can all be 3' or less instead of 15'!).

I think, overall, though that Dave's suggestion may be easier...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Keith,

I use a CPAP machine too. You're right, they are noting short of life-changing.

I haven't had the need to run mine off the grid, but if I did, I would go with the 12 volt adapter. They are available for many CPAP machines.

With an inverter you chew up electrons converting from 12 to 120, and then again when the machine's power supply converts the 120 back to DC - often 12 volts. The difference in power consumption should be enough that a third battery is not necessary.

You may need to add a "cigarette lighter" outlet over the bed, but it would be easy since the reading lights are 12 volt. Much simpler than wiring in a third battery!

The 12 volt adapter for my Philips machine is only $29 online. Use the inverter to run the TV.

Regards,

Randy
Old 12-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

THOR #2123
Thanks for the replies

After reading the replies above I believe I will get the 12V adapter and wire in a cigarette-style plug near the bed.

I will use the solar charger to top off the batteries during the parked days.

Thanks, gentlemen.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
After reading the replies above I believe I will get the 12V adapter and wire in a cigarette-style plug near the bed.

I will use the solar charger to top off the batteries during the parked days.

Thanks, gentlemen.
I'm interested in your results with this update. I too have a need for the CPAP and plan to do some off grid camping this summer. My CPAP does not have the battery pack option. I guess it's an older model.

Can you share your results?

I'm interested in wiring in a small inverter and using solar to top off the 2 batteries in the 24.1
Old 04-08-2016, 05:48 AM   #7

THOR #2123
I bought a small 300 watt inverter at Loves for around $29.00 including the rebate. I put in a 12 volt plug on the small shelf by the steps and attached to the under step batteries. Then run a short extension cord to the BiPAP machine between the beds when she uses her machine.

Also use a portable solar panel to recharge when boondocking for several days. Used both during our 28 day Baja, Mexico trip in February. Not any problems!