Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2019, 03:37 AM   #21

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
I have Verizon but have not heard of MiFi. I have Play More Unlimited and the difference from your plan is that mine has HD streaming and yours does not. Both have 15 gigs Hotspot. With discount, mine is $70 each line (2); plus I get a $25 military discount. There are cheaper carriers, but to us, coverage was important. NO CARRIER can compare to Verizon. If you want to disagree with that statement, go to the high country in Wyoming and Montana; mid state Nevada; then go to the NW corner of the U. S. (Neah Bay, WA) with your carrier and see if you have service.

2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #22

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
Another solution for videos, if you have an iPhone, is to buy a video adaptor. If you have phone service, log onto your streaming service and plug the adapter into your phone, and your TV/AV receiver with HDMI, and watch over the LTE/4G network; no WiFi needed, and it does not use your hot spot.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #23
Ron

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
THOR #1675
I’ve given up on streaming TV. I have ATT Now streaming service but the park WiFi is generally not sufficient and using my phone as a hotspot has limitations as stated by others on here.

Our solution has been to record content from various sources including the “PlayOn” app on our home computer which allows a person to record anything that can legally be viewed on your computer like Amazon Prime, ATT Now, NetFlix, YouTube, etc. It records to a USB HD which I hook to a MXQ 4K box in the Motorhome running Kodi but you can use anything that will play video files. The MXQ 4K box outputs HDMI to the front TV.

I bought a HDMI extender off Amazon to get the HDMI signal from the entertainment center up front to the remote TV in the bedroom. It uses the existing Coax cable to transmit HDMI and then it’s converted back to HDMI at the remote TV.

You can put hundreds of hours of programming on a 500 gb USB HD.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
I bought access to an unlimited data plan for ATT on eBay. 35 a month and only limited by cell tower congestion. I use it with a used 4g hot spot. Speed is never great but fast enough for Netflix and Amazon Prime video. We use a laptop connected to the TV via the cable for the stock Blu-ray player
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:12 AM   #25

State: Colorado
THOR #13995
What I do although more technical

I have all digital movies (Google will be your friend)

Look into handbrake or dvdfab.

Abs I built my own htpc and I use both plex and emby

Fits right behind the tv.

May take a learning curve but well worth it
Old 12-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #26

Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #15031
I use a Nvidia Shield both at home and in the rv as a Plex server. They are both equipped with a 8 TB usb drive where I store digital copies of movies and tv shows. In the RV the Shield outputs to a wireless HDMI transmitter which is picked up by a receiver that can be plugged into any of the three tvs in my rig, or if I want to visit a neighbor and watch a movie, I can plug it into their TV.
I never rely on wifi or a strong internet cell signal to watch content online.

Jeff

P.S. everything will change and we won't need to worry about signal as we travel, once SpaceX finishes putting the satellites up in space. You will get signal in the most remote parts of the world.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #27
JkH

THOR #15987
Smile OTR Mobile

Try https://www.otrmobile.com. $60.00/mo. Truly unlimited and unthrottled data. Enjoy all your favorite streaming services without limits. I love it!
Old 12-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #28

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
maybe look at other companies... I have T mobile 50+ ( $70 2 lines unlimited everything) and pay extra $15 a month for 20 gb hotspot, low speed unlimited is included,,on 1 line. I do stream my phone to the tv often, have yet to be shut down,,..
Ditto but mine is 55+? I pay 55/mth for unlimited everything. Two lines would cost me $45 per. I'm a veteran and that plan was good too but this one is better.

I'm full time with 9k mi since Dec 2018. I've only been cut off once in Floyd, VA. I missed it terribly, for about an hour. Then I discovered there's a whole world out there that doesn't need a cell phone or an unlimited data plan. That said, I'm using it now.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #29

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpiercemagic View Post
cut...P.S. everything will change and we won't need to worry about signal as we travel, once SpaceX finishes putting the satellites up in space. You will get signal in the most remote parts of the world.
Would like to know more. Will you share what the 'satellites' are for? Are we talking 5g, a separate effort or separate but the same?
Old 12-23-2019, 10:50 PM   #30

THOR #9522
Google starlink. Apparently they may be put in service next year. Odd they launched them but haven't activated them?
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 12-24-2019, 01:29 AM   #31

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Would like to know more. Will you share what the 'satellites' are for? Are we talking 5g, a separate effort or separate but the same?
There will be 1000+ satellites positioned across the globe that will give everyone, even in rural areas, the same internet speed. https://www.starlink.com/

5G will take longer to implement and will not cover into rural areas because of cost. In the mean time there is no good solution for unlimited data while on the road now that AT&T is dropping the TOGO plan. My guess is they will start to take a look at the other unlimited plans and start to throttle them also. Everyone should drop AT&T asap.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #32

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Google starlink. Apparently they may be put in service next year. Odd they launched them but haven't activated them?
Delaying activation makes complete sense. They're not going to turn it loose until they believe they've sufficiently conducted their Test Phase. If they're using Agile, the satellites could be released in succession, and released to the public in succession (coverage limits).
Old 12-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #33

Model: 30FE
State: Kansas
THOR #12754
Check out otrmoble.com no limit, no throttling.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:23 AM   #34

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I have the same setup with unlimited data,and I think after 25g you loose the 4g and goes to 3g put I can still run netflix on 3g with no issue, I drove down to florida a few weeks ago and kids watched netflix and xbox all the way there and back, and I watched movies at night never ran out of data.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:35 AM   #35

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #6952
Thanks JkH. It appears for new subscribers the rate is now $100 per month. Sounds like a great deal at $60 enjoy. I currently have Verizon and so far have been okay as we only travel a few days a month. We have YouTube TV at home and in the RV so we can watch our "DVR/Library" wherever we go. Based on your use would you pay $100 vs. $60?
Old 02-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #36

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Montana
THOR #16625
Quote:
Originally Posted by JkH View Post
Try https://www.otrmobile.com. $60.00/mo. Truly unlimited and unthrottled data. Enjoy all your favorite streaming services without limits. I love it!

It seems you can use any AT&T device. See below. Does anyone know if this will work with a Togo Roadlink? I have gotten spoiled by the unlimited plan that my Togo came with. I will be lost when mine expires in the fall. This is twice the price, but still unlimited. Because I use my Internet connection for work, I need true unlimited.

Quote:
Bring My Device Package
This pack Includes

• Bring your existing Unlocked or AT&T Hotspot to our network with this package.
  • Includes 1 OTR Mobile sim with the first month of service included. Our sim is 3 in 1 and covers all 3 sim sizes.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #37

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
I saw a Youtube video where one of the RV channels were talking about

https://bixwireless.com/

Possibly another alternative.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #38

THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRV View Post
It seems you can use any AT&T device. See below. Does anyone know if this will work with a Togo Roadlink? I have gotten spoiled by the unlimited plan that my Togo came with. I will be lost when mine expires in the fall. This is twice the price, but still unlimited. Because I use my Internet connection for work, I need true unlimited.
You can still buy access on ebay to the #35/month unlimited data plan. I have had a used hotspot and this access for almost a year with only one issue. Last spring in Myrtle Beach State Park campground the service was very slow due to tower congestion I believe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-Unlimi...-/192658494015
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV