Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
Inverter

For those of you who have an inverter in your RV, was it dealer installed or factory installed? Are all the outlets available for the 110 power or just selected ones. E.g. the televisions? Is it possible to order a new RV with all outlets connected to the inverter? If dealer installed, do they typically wire a few or all of the outlets? What size (watts) do you have? Thank you!

Old 09-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephC View Post
For those of you who have an inverter in your RV, was it dealer installed or factory installed? Are all the outlets available for the 110 power or just selected ones. E.g. the televisions? Is it possible to order a new RV with all outlets connected to the inverter? If dealer installed, do they typically wire a few or all of the outlets? What size (watts) do you have? Thank you!
My coach came with an inverter installed powering the TVs , the outside fridge and electronic equipment chubby. I replaced the Xantrex pro 1000 with a Xantrex Freedom Xi 2,000 and rewired the coach (new sub-panel) for the inverter to power everything but the GFCI circuits. The old inverter had a 15 amp pass through relay and the new one has a 30 amp pass-through relay.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Your Charger/Converter generally has two 120 volt outlet lines.
One goes to inside outlets generally for TV's and plug-ins around beds and dinettes.
The other goes to GFI outlets. Those GFI outlets are generally marked as such on the outlet.

If you choose to add an inverter and want to make it incorporated into your coach...it's best to tie-into the non-GFI outlet line.
So, you would splice into the 120 volt line between the Charge/Converter and the outlets.
It's actually a fairly simple and straight-forward process.

Then, if you choose to add GFI outlets (which some have done for outside TV), you just add your own outlets behind/under sink or cabinets on passenger side.

There are numerous threads on this.
Many Vegas/Axis owners (me included) have performed this mod.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My dealer installed xantrex ws3012 3,000w powers everything. Even the air conditioner runs through it. I picked this inverter because it's a 150amp battery charger and it's stackable for 240v or 6,000w.
A future big battery bank is planned to support the a/c install.
I couldn't find a reason to not run everything through it. We all have auto switches, I just won't turn the a/c on when I'm running the inverter.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #5

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
My dealer installed xantrex ws3012 3,000w powers everything. Even the air conditioner runs through it. I picked this inverter because it's a 150amp battery charger and it's stackable for 240v or 6,000w.
A future big battery bank is planned to support the a/c install.
I couldn't find a reason to not run everything through it. We all have auto switches, I just won't turn the a/c on when I'm running the inverter.
Is your Inverter wired-in before or after the Charge/Converter?
I’m trying to understand the wiring schematic for your mod and how it includes the AirConditioner. Thanks
Old 09-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Is your Inverter wired-in before or after the Charge/Converter?
I’m trying to understand the wiring schematic for your mod and how it includes the AirConditioner. Thanks
Factory converter/charger has been disconnected. If it's not it really messes things up. This inverter has them built in.
It's wired pretty direct. Shore and generator in on the in circuit, everything else on the out circuit. It seems to be working. Batteries fluctuate a bit with air conditioning on shore or Gen, I think the inverter taps around to see what's up and adjusts accordingly adding amps or volts and this shows as a draw on the monitor.
The batteries will now, due to the way its hooked up, fill in for the 106v and low amp shore maladies making sure I always have the right voltage. If I'm drawing 16amps on a 15amp circuit, the batteries add an amp+ instead of the shore breaker popping.
That's the way I understand from the propagandists, and that's the way the monitor seems to be showing.
It's all hooked into an automatic generator starter if something goes too wild....
The ags added about 250 more steps in programming.

My very lame and constantly nursed house batteries, happenstancially, did the surface charge dance the very second the inverter was turned on and by the end of a four hour drive did the 9volt, no through power, death. THAT made it where the ac wouldn't run on shore power. We replaced the batteries and all is well. But the way it's hooked up, you get no shore power or Gen power if your house batteries are dead.

The bigger xantrex units do odd things, in a good way. Details are on youtube. The guy with the mountain background screen does a good review of almost every feature.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #7

THOR #13362
Wow!
Way too cool!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:16 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I pulled my stock Xantrex 1000 Thor installed at the factory and I installed a Xantrex Freedom XI 2000. Thor had the stock inverter only powering the TV's and I wanted to be able to run the refrigerator, microwave or 5000 BTU auxiliary air conditioner off the batteries.

It works great for my needs. I rewired the inverter circuit like I have my home wired for my portable generator when I lose power.

I added a breaker to the WFCO panel to allow the inverter to backfeed the busbar in the WFCO. Before turning on the Inverter on, I turn all of the breakers off in the WFCO. I then turn on the new breaker to allow power to flow from the inverter to the WFCO panel and then I turn on the breaker for the circuit I want to power.

I also have solar and have been able to run my fridge off the Inverter all day during daylight. I have also run the auxiliary 5000 BTU air conditioner for a couple hours without a problem. The only thing I can't run is the main A/C but without a lot of rewiring I was able to easily make any circuit in the coach available to the Inverter,
Old 09-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #9

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I haven't installed an inverter yet, but it's on my list of upgrades to do.
I was originally thinking of installing a sub-panel like on my first diagram to power the items that I want, but I think a simpler option is the second diagram. I want to power the TV, outlets, and maybe even microwave and fridge.

I was thinking of something like the AIMS 1200W pure sine inverter (which has a built-in transfer switch), which should be enough and enable a simple installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	20189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	20190