Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #15311
Inverter reset tripping

I recently got a 2000w inverter installed and am having problems. The issue is that whenever I turn on the A/C it trips the inverter reset and all 110v items go out in my rig. It sometimes does it within minutes and sometimes can be ok for hours but I find once it’s done it then it trips easier the next time until I give the whole system a rest for hours. This happens even though the inverter is shut off and I am hooked up to either shore power or running my generator. The only way to get it to work again is hitting the reset on my inverter. The place that installed it thinks it’s user error on my part and insists the A/C doesn’t run through the inverter but this has happened over and over and I am sure the inverter is powered off before I run the A/C. I should note the A/C doesn’t even try to turn on if I am just on inverter (which seems like it’s wired correctly).
Does this mean they wired it incorrectly or is there some sort of issue with the transfer switch or something else?
If wired incorrectly is there any sort of easy test I can do to prove it? Appreciate any tips.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
What RV do you have?
What does the Inverter power?
Does the Inverter have an “auto transfer switch” built into it?
Curious to know how/where it’s wired into your RV.
Definitely need more info...
Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 PM   #3

THOR #15311
I have a 2016 ACE 29.4. It powers everything except the A/C (plugs, outdoor fridge, microwave). It’s an AIMS pure sine wave with auto transfer PWRIX200012SUL. It’s connected near my power box under the rear bed.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:35 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redglow06 View Post
I have a 2016 ACE 29.4. It powers everything except the AC (plugs, outdoor fridge, microwave). It’s an AIMS pure sine wave with auto transfer PWRIX200012SUL. It’s connected near my power box under the rear bed.
Your 1st post says ALL 110 items go out in my rig.

FYI: AC is electric. A/C is air conditioning.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #5

THOR #15311
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Your post says ALL 110 AC goes out in my rig.

FYI AC is electric. A/C is air conditioning.
Hmm not sure I understand. Everything goes out, including the A/C. The only thing that still works is like the lights and car stereo.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Ok
Might be above my pay grade

It’s connected to all the outlet lines (not to the Air-Cond)

It has an auto-transfer switch that allows all outlets and GFI outlets to flow thru it from the WFCO Converter whether ON or OFF

Yet it shorts out when power flows thru the auto-transfer switch.

So...it may be a bad Inverter, the auto transfer switch that is.

Has it ever worked properly???
Old 09-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #7

THOR #15553
Quote:
Hmm not sure I understand. Everything goes out, including the AC. The only thing that still works is like the lights and car stereo.
You stated that the inverter powers everything except the AC. I think you meant A/C. Plugs outdoor fridge and microwave. I am the one confused.

See why we use AC and A/C.

I seriously dough your A/C is on your INVERTER.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
FYI: AC is electric. A/C is air conditioning.
Quote:
Hmm not sure I understand. Everything goes out, including the AC. The only thing that still works is like the lights and car stereo.
What he's saying is that when it's written as "AC", that means the 110 volt shore/generator power. When it's written as "A/C" it means the air conditioning system.

The lights and stereo work off of the 12 volt DC system. Things like the microwave and the air conditioner (A/C) work off the 110 volt AC system.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #9

THOR #15311
I have taken my rig it out 2 times since they installed it and both times I had issues. On the latest trip I ran the A/C all night with no issues and then the next morning ran the microwave too and then it tripped the inverter. Then after resetting it the inverter it would trip over and over after only 10-20 minutes while only running the A/C.

I also have a transfer switch on my RV aside from the one on the inverter. Not sure what each transfer switch does but the RV one looks to still be connected to a bunch of stuff as well.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #10

THOR #15311
Gotcha, I should be using A/C not AC as it’s confusing.
Updated posts to make it less confusing. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
So did they install a sub panel and move all circuits except the Air Conditioner and Converter supplies to this sub-panel? If not how did they power everything from the inverter except the Air Conditioner and Converter?

Note I am including the Converter as an exception even though you didn't say it as it should not be powered from the inverter if the inverter is installed correctly.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #12

THOR #15311
I don’t see any sub panel, I will add some pics. They just told me they didn’t run the A/C thru the inverter and that they never do since it’s not meant for that. They assumed it’s user error that’s causing the issue and that I have the inverter on when I am using shore power/generator while using A/C
Old 09-04-2019, 11:10 PM   #13

THOR #15553
Quote:
I have taken my rig it out 2 times since they installed it and both times I had issues. On the latest trip I ran the A/C all night with no issues and then the next morning ran the microwave too and then it tripped the inverter. Then after resetting it the inverter it would trip over and over after only 10-20 minutes while only running the A/C.

I also have a transfer switch on my RV aside from the one on the inverter. Not sure what each transfer switch does but the RV one looks to still be connected to a bunch of stuff as well.
This 2nd transfer switch is the main transfer switch to change from shore power to Generator power.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #14

THOR #15311
Pics

Attempting to upload pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1574.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	20056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	20057  

Name:	IMG_1576.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	20058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1577.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	20059  

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	20060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	20061  

Old 09-04-2019, 11:42 PM   #15

THOR #15311
I have 2 brand new double 6v deep cycle batteries and 2 solar panels which were installed a few months back (prior to inverter) and I haven’t had any issues with them.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:45 PM   #16

THOR #15311
Is there a simple test I can run to see if electricity is being ran through my inverter when on shore power and A/C is on? Like turn off all breakers except A/C and then put an electric tester (don’t know what they called) on the wires running into the inverter.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:18 AM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
From the detail in the pictures (aside from the spaghetti) - it appears they didn't add a subpanel... Based on that (but hard to follow wires in the pic) - it appears the output of the main transfer switch goes to the inverter (along with the battery connection) - and the output of the inverter becomes the input to the breakers... That would have EVERYTHING including the air conditioning running off the inverter...
Typically (duckface had a post briefly that said he wanted his differently...) the air conditioning and converter would not be powered thru the inverter.
The A/C because of the load, and the converter because you create a loop of batteries sending 12v DC to inverter which sends 110 AC to converter which sends 12v DC to batteries...

The main transfer switch output should go to the breaker panel... The A/C, converter, and inverter should be powered from there.
The output of the inverter should go to a subpanel with breakers for the load it is to supply to.

You can use an induction ammeter to read load coming out of the inverter with the A/C on... Many shown here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=inductive+amp+meter
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:31 AM   #18

THOR #15311
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
From the detail in the pictures (aside from the spaghetti) - it appears they didn't add a subpanel... Based on that (but hard to follow wires in the pic) - it appears the output of the main transfer switch goes to the inverter (along with the battery connection) - and the output of the inverter becomes the input to the breakers... That would have EVERYTHING including the air conditioning running off the inverter...
Typically (duckface had a post briefly that said he wanted his differently...) the air conditioning and converter would not be powered thru the inverter.
The A/C because of the load, and the converter because you create a loop of batteries sending 12v DC to inverter which sends 110 AC to converter which sends 12v DC to batteries...

The main transfer switch output should go to the breaker panel... The A/C, converter, and inverter should be powered from there.
The output of the inverter should go to a subpanel with breakers for the load it is to supply to.

You can use an induction ammeter to read load coming out of the inverter with the A/C on... Many shown here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=inductive+amp+meter
So assuming they did run the A/C thru the inverter why does it not try to turn on when I am on inverter only?
Side note it occasionally does try to turn on when on inverter only but only after my rig loses power with the A/C on while trying to use shore power/generator and I reset and use inverter but accidentally left A/C on.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
So assuming they did run the A/C thru the inverter why does it not try to turn on when I am on inverter only?
Side note it occasionally does try to turn on when on inverter only but only after my rig loses power with the A/C on while trying to use shore power/generator and I reset and use inverter but accidentally left A/C on.
Can't answer the first question - but your side note seems to confirm the A/C is powered by inverter...

From an earlier post of yours:
Quote:
Assuming you were on shore power (or genny) - sounds like the load through the transfer switch portion of the inverter is tripping... and once tripped needs time to cool off...
Again sounding like A/C is wired through it...

Trace the wires yourself to see what they did - but it is sure sounding like EVERYTHING is on the inverter.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:44 AM   #20

THOR #15311
Thank you! I’ll have my neighbor electrician friend help me trace the wires.

Tags
inverter