Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmyJeep View Post
Well, looks like I'm in good company with all the rest of you "Jensen Victims" with the same symptoms of an inoperative JRV212T. I've read through this entire thread and have done everything listed...... next I will reconnect everything and power back up to see if I have even a glimmer of hope. Will also talk with ASA rep. today. I have a 2015 Miramar 34.1 that is out of warranty. Thanks for all the good info on this problem. More later...... Joe

ASA extended the warranty. You will have to press them and get a supervisor. I got mine replaced out of warranty. I was also told they send them out to have fixed but do not know the source. I did all the steps, nothing worked, and left it on overnight to awake to a working unit the next morning but still had them replace it.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #62
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
ASA extended the warranty. You will have to press them and get a supervisor. I got mine replaced out of warranty. I was also told they send them out to have fixed but do not know the source. I did all the steps, nothing worked, and left it on overnight to awake to a working unit the next morning but still had them replace it.
Did they put a 'timeframe' around that extension?? I may need to start cycling my 'Use/Store' switch again...
Old 02-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #63

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Delaware
THOR #3746
After unplugging and resetting the radio per directions seen here, the unit powered back on with blue lit controls, radio volume worked but the on/off button was still stuck in the on position and the screen remained black. All the rest of the buttons were non-responsive. So, I called ASA this afternoon about the problem, talked first to a tech guy and ran thru my troubleshooting process (same as discussed here)..... and the guy declared the unit defective..... then transferred my call to the warranty dept. I spoke next to a very nice and knowledgeable young lady and even though my coach warranty had expired, offered to do a product exchange for me under the original warranty. The defective radio/monitor is currently on its way to ASA Electronics in Elkhart, IN via UPS. We'll see how the replacement performs when it arrives....... Stay tuned........ Joe
Old 02-29-2016, 11:43 PM   #64
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmyJeep View Post
... offered to do a product exchange for me under the original warranty.
Are they replacing it with another 212? or a 215?
Old 02-29-2016, 11:53 PM   #65

THOR #3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Are they replacing it with another 212? or a 215?
We never spoke about anything other than the 212. If nothing else, it will buy me some time to check other options for a suitable replacement if the second 212 fails. (now, what are the odds of that happening..... )
Old 03-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #66

State: Arkansas
THOR #3319
Thumbs up Jensen JRV212T

My Jensen JRV212T mysteriously developed the same "Blank Screen" syndrome. I have tried every trick found and still have the same problem.
I've decided to scrap the Jensen & install a Sony Headend Unit (Sony XAV-W650BT) $299.99 from Crutchfield with DVD player, rear camera input & all the other inputs I use - Front auxiliary, Rear auxiliary, USB & Bluetooth.

To handle my rear view & side mirror cameras I am adding a SV-900.CSB
Multi-Camera Switcher from sonicelectronix.com for $69.99. This unit has the triggers for turn signal input, back up input & a wired remote to allow manual camera selection. I am buying one more to keep on-board - just in case. $70.00 is a bargain compared to what I would pay to arrange a fix on the road.

This will allow me to choose any automotive Stereo system that will plug the dash hole & provide for a single video input (Commonly available) and the other inputs I want to have. In a pinch, I could stop in any Wal-Mart and pick up an emergency replacement unit (maybe without the frills - but with the driving necessities) for a couple hundred dollars.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #67

THOR #3746
SCraig.... Thanks for posting your total replacement option...... I will follow your lead if I finally decide on getting something different than the Jensen.

ASA Electronics did send a free exchange (212T) in place of the defective unit. So far, so good. The new unit has been working non-stop for several days now since we are currently traveling with the rig. I guess I will make a decision later about what to do IF the black-screen problem returns.

Thanks to all on this forum for sharing your experiences with this problem.
Joe
Old 03-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #68

State: Connecticut
THOR #3862
Completely agree on legal action --
Contact me to add my situation-- blank screen etc on my 2013 ACE 30.1 Thor
Ppllb4@sncglobal.net
Old 09-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #69

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2307
Mine just went out ... 2014 Thor Hurricane 27K with less than 15k miles.

Jensen JRV212T

Blank screen. Volume control only, just hiss out the speakers, unable to power off/on, blue led parameter light only.

R&R'd from dash, disconnected all power, ran separate jumper ground... repowered, still the same.

Added to the list of all the failures and problems, it's nearly a full time job just keeping up with repairs and rework on this rig. Currently the radio out, one bad engine battery, one bad house battery, convertor out, generator out at 200hrs... believed in the brushes, slide motor raising cane/premature slide track gear tooth wear and now the furnace out... limit switch suspected at fault. Smh, good thing I'm parked for the time being...
Old 09-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #70
gmc

THOR #2829
If you have an extended services plan, take it in before it starts working again...

If not, Last time I had to leave mine fully disconnected for a week and it worked again... (was 1000 miles from home and wanted the cameras back).

Finally failed for dealer and was replaced under service contract... Unfortunately with another 212T - we'll see how this one does.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #71

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I've just recently lost the left side camera view on my Axis. Right side and rear work fine and the left turn signals work fine. Anyone else have a problem with this, and if so what was the fix? I'm thinking loose wire connection but haven't removed the radio yet to check.
On our 2016 VEGAS the camera switch controller is behind the chassis cluster (speedometer, fuel, etc) with one connector to the Axxera radio
Old 06-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #72
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Finally failed for dealer and was replaced under service contract... Unfortunately with another 212T - we'll see how this one does.
Well... to answer the question - less than a year...
Back to the blank screen 2 weeks ago - then started working... then a multi color flashing of screen continuously - then dead completely - then worked again - now dead again...

Called ASA - and they told me based on serial number that the replacement unit was a refurbished one - not new as I had been told by dealer... (and price reflected new... I had specifically questioned whether it was new as it had already been discontinued.)
Now waiting to hear back from the dealer to see what they have to say.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 07-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #73

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
Had the same problem: screen blackout, power button non-functional on the JRV212T. I have no warranty, so it was an easy decision to replace it with something actually GOOD. Now waiting for delivery of Pioneer AVHS5800BHS from Amazon, and a video camera switching system from etrailers.com (I never liked that barely-responsive touchscreen on the Jensen anyway)
Old 07-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #74

THOR #652
Jensen JRV212T Blank screen

I may be telling you something that you already know.

When I was having this problem I was trying to keep my batteries charged up, and kept the motorhome plugged in to do this. Well, here is the trouble with that, if your use/store switch is in the store position the batteries will not charge, if you put it in the use position the power is on the radio all the time and it will eventually burn out. I have put battery chargers in to keep the batteries charged and not burn up the radio.

I hope this information might help someone.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #75

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I put an on/off toggle switch so I could turn off the radio when I dry camp and when I am not using the RV.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #76
gmc

THOR #2829
From what I have seen - the problem seems to have more to do with power being removed and applied - ie - cycling the use/store switch... Leaving it always on I haven't seen as an issue.
Got the same feeling from the tech I talked to at ASA last time - the failures were as power was being applied.

If it is working for you - great... They just seem to have way too many issues.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 07-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #77

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
From what I have seen - the problem seems to have more to do with power being removed and applied - ie - cycling the use/store switch... Leaving it always on I haven't seen as an issue.
Got the same feeling from the tech I talked to at ASA last time - the failures were as power was being applied.

If it is working for you - great... They just seem to have way too many issues.
I know there is talk about Jensen being junk. Is swapping it out with a different brand, including maybe something that has Sirius like a Pioneer a straightforward task? I'm not sure how the rear/side cameras come into play, including switching to the correct camera when the blinkers are on.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #78

State: Washington
THOR #8026
The pioneer won't handle that directly since it only has one camera trigger sensor. I just orderered a camera multiplexer from ETrailers.com to handle that task. The three cameras plug in to the multiplexer (it has 3 trigger wires for sensing reverse and directionals) then the output from the multiplexer connects to the Pioneer.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #79

State: Texas
THOR #1406
Beach,

Old post. Your reply is probably most accurate. Question, with all the different power sources, would simply installing an on/off toggle switch (maybe turning radio off before changing source), be worth the effort?
Old 02-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #80

State: Oregon
THOR #8222
I had exactly same experience. Looks like wires are bundled up in tape an not long enough to pull out the radio and get your hands on the back of unit, only my fingers.

There is over a 1amp draw on battery which quickly drains battery. Turn off use battery switch to stop the static and the battery drain. When you hook up shore power the static radio comes back on.

There are manny dozens of complaints on several forums about this JRV212T radio static camera loss problem.