Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
Key FOB

We have had these FOBs on our motorhome keyring for 6+ years. Never used them. The dealer didn't explain them and nobody seemed to know how to make them work.

We have a 2016 Thor Tuscany 45 AT.

It has pushbutton start.

Is the function of this thing to enable the pushbutton start? In other words, does this FOB have to be in close proximity for the PB to work properly?

They don't seem to have any other function.

I appreciate any input that you may have.

Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	20220401_164506.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	36731Click image for larger version

Name:	20220401_164459.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	36732

Old 04-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdougherty View Post
We have had these FOBs on our motorhome keyring for 6+ years. Never used them. The dealer didn't explain them and nobody seemed to know how to make them work.

We have a 2016 Thor Tuscany 45 AT.

It has pushbutton start.

Is the function of this thing to enable the pushbutton start? In other words, does this FOB have to be in close proximity for the PB to work properly?

They don't seem to have any other function.

I appreciate any input that you may have.

Thanks Attachment 36731Attachment 36732
That's how these push button start vehicles work. But why guess? Go put the fobs in the fridge in the house and go try to start the MH.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:31 PM   #3

THOR #5822
Yeah, that's the ticket! I almost always use the key. The pushbutton doesn't seem to be much of an advantage. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:46 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I have never used the key in the Tuscany or any of my Fords

Push Button Start is an Extremely handy feature

Not having to carry keys is the benifit plus the timed starting
Old 05-18-2022, 03:00 AM   #5

State: California
THOR #26829
I use the push button start fairly often. I'm tall and sometimes the ignition key jams into my knee. With the push start, it's nice not worrying about snapping the key off or breaking the switch.
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
While the OP's post was slightly kind of vague, I am assume he / she was saying the FOBs didn't work? If so, my thought is after 6 years and FOBs have not been used, you will need to replace the batteries in both.

Not sure why anyone would NOT use the FOBs all the time, it is GREAT luxury to have and I wish I had on my RV. We have on 3 of 4 of auto vehicles, boat and one the HD motorcycle. My 2012 Yamaha V Star has a key.

Now learning how to change the battery make take some googling or you tube. Not sure why they design them to be inconspicuous. It is not like some one is going to steal the battery.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:20 PM   #7

THOR #5822
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
I have never used the key in the Tuscany or any of my Fords

Push Button Start is an Extremely handy feature

Not having to carry keys is the benifit plus the timed starting
Yeah, I know about convenience, I've had PB start in all of my vehicles since the mid 90s. Our motorhome keys (2 sets) are set up with quick disconnects on both, splitting them into ignition key + entry door key + deadbolt key on one side and all other keys on the other side. This allowed us to carry a small set of keys in our pockets while leaving all the rest in a basket by the LR TV.

We use the toggle switch on the dash to open/close cargo doors, so we seldom use any of the cargo door keys.

So, "out of sight, out of mind" applied to the big old FOB. Pretty much forgot about it since we never used it.

And, by the way, the batteries were still good when I finally gave the Start PB a try. I have since replaced them in both FOBs, so the next time I try to use the Start PB, it will probably work just fine.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #8

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdougherty View Post
Yeah, I know about convenience, I've had PB start in all of my vehicles since the mid 90s. Our motorhome keys (2 sets) are set up with quick disconnects on both, splitting them into ignition key + entry door key + deadbolt key on one side and all other keys on the other side. This allowed us to carry a small set of keys in our pockets while leaving all the rest in a basket by the LR TV.

We use the toggle switch on the dash to open/close cargo doors, so we seldom use any of the cargo door keys.

So, "out of sight, out of mind" applied to the big old FOB. Pretty much forgot about it since we never used it.

And, by the way, the batteries were still good when I finally gave the Start PB a try. I have since replaced them in both FOBs, so the next time I try to use the Start PB, it will probably work just fine.
You do know you can unlock and lock the compartments with the key pad as well, right?

I have one hidden key (incase of dead chassis batteries) and carry no keys for anything. Much simpler for me.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:04 AM   #9

THOR #5822
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
You do know you can unlock and lock the compartments with the key pad as well, right?

I have one hidden key (incase of dead chassis batteries) and carry no keys for anything. Much simpler for me.
Yes, you must be referring to the lighted door handle keypad. There is also another FOB (that I prefer not to carry) that locks/unlocks the entry door or all the cargo doors.

The door handle keypad has also failed on us in the past (if the two spring loaded contacts in the door frame get corroded the electric locks don't work). Putting a dab of dielectric grease on them every couple of months keeps them in good working order.

In keys we trust! They almost always work (nothing is absolute).
Old 06-16-2022, 09:48 PM   #10

THOR #9178
I found the pushbutton start and keypad compartent and door lock/unlock invaluable

Vehicles all have keyless entry and pushbutton start also

One hidden key for a backup and no keys carried