Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #15410
We have a chateau 31 and it has to have the engine running and the emergency brake on to use the jacks

Old 06-14-2021, 02:36 AM   #22

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
The problem appears to be that the alternator is not charging the house batteries. When I read the voltage at the leveler panel and then plug into shore power or start the generator, I can see the voltage rising. But if I read the voltage and then start the engine, the voltage does not go up. The alternator is charging the chassis battery, but apparently not the house batteries.

Another strange thing is that the voltage at the batteries, checked with a voltmeter, reads 13.6v, but the leveler display shows a voltage of 12.3v.

I found an inline 7.5a fuse at the battery isolator solenoid, but it was okay. I can hear the solenoid click when I press the emergency start switch, so it appears to be working. I haven't check the voltages at the solenoid. I assume that when the engine is running the voltages should be same at both the input and output of that solenoid, right?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:44 AM   #23

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Put a meter on the voltage + going to the leveler controller. If it still reads 12.3, then start looking for bad connections, faulty grounds, etc.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #24

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Put a meter on the voltage + going to the leveler controller. If it still reads 12.3, then start looking for bad connections, faulty grounds, etc.

Any idea where that voltage + line going to the leveler controller is located?
Old 06-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #25

THOR #19133
Your leveling controller is normally installed under the coach, near the center. And the power for the leveler is likely the chassis battery, and not the coach batteries. Hence, you are getting a low power message.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:29 AM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Your leveling controller is normally installed under the coach, near the center. And the power for the leveler is likely the chassis battery, and not the coach batteries. Hence, you are getting a low power message.
The hydraulic leveling motor is powered by the HOUSE batteries through a 100 amp DC breaker.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:58 AM   #27

THOR #19133
Different rigs then. On mine, the chassis battery powers the pump, as well as the touch pad.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:09 AM   #28

THOR #5837
Okay, I did some further troubleshooting today. The Trombetta relay is energizing, and there was voltage at the input and output, so everything looked okay. However, the output voltage was about 2 volts less than the input, and I read that they should be within 0.2 volts, so I'm guessing the Trombetta needs to be replaced. Does this sound right?
Old 06-15-2021, 03:03 AM   #29

THOR #19133
yes. It's just a big copper contact inside. If it gets corroded, then you will see a voltage drop.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #30

Model: 2018 Hurricane 29M
State: Alberta
THOR #21036
Hi Folks I got the same error... Than it went away and now the issue is that the touch pad will not cone to life at all - engine running park break engaged etc. no joy in getting it to light up...Chassie battery fully charged - coach batteries showing full charge Any ideas ? This is now an intermittent problem !
Old 06-15-2021, 08:58 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu30 View Post
Hi Folks I got the same error... Than it went away and now the issue is that the touch pad will not cone to life at all - engine running park break engaged etc. no joy in getting it to light up...Chassie battery fully charged - coach batteries showing full charge Any ideas ? This is now an intermittent problem !
First, check that the circuit breaker behind the chassis battery; trip and reset it. There is a fuse and relay panel down by the driver's left foot which is powered by the chassis battery through the circuit breaker. Thor MC plant 750 will send you a labeled diagram of front cap fuse and relay panel. In the diagram is the location for the relay and fuse for the LCI jack's control panel.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote