Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 01:34 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
A very interesting idea. Will have to think about that. I like the sound of getting it right every time

Old 04-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #22

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
That's what I'll do - always park with the front lower than the back!

I use the same blocks, but only have one set at the moment, plus some wood boards. One set doesn't go very far if you have to stack them 2-high.

I am on my first long term trip (more than 2 weeks) at several different sites. Using Camco blocks and it’s been a disaster, when needing more than one level. The blocks are splitting, sliding, and falling apart, even though they are interlocked and stepped for height. Any suggestions? I saw a camco leveler that is a ramp with three levels, but each level looks too small. Has anyone used these?
Old 04-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have had mixed results with my lego blocks as well. Sometimes they hold well and other times they move around due to rocky camp sites (not paved). I have had some crack or get smash where you cannot use them but they were the orange "lynx levelers" (my yellow campo head up much better and I still use them sometimes).

You might try the 3 in one step levelers. I thought about doing the same but they would take up a long area in my storage compartment were the blocks you and mix and match anyway you want to fit into your compartment. But I think they would work fine.

By the 2nd year of ownership I got so tired of block (I carry 4 set and could barely level my rv at some sites) I purchased the bolt on "Big Foot" hydraulic levelers and installed myself. I love them.

It use to take me anywere where from 15 minutes to 45 mintues to get leveled properly with lego block. Now its 3 to 5 mintues (sometimes I put my camco blocks under the jack pads). And it dont rock around when walking inside the RV.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #24

THOR #11834
Thanks. I will look into the Big Foot, but I am mechanically deficient.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I'm using the same set of lynx levelers I had for our 5er and the TT before it. So far they are a little strained but none have broke (I did pick up some "doublewide" blocks for the rears).

I installed a Levelmate Pro on our RV so leveling with the blocks is easy as the Levelmate Pro tells me how many inches I'm out of level (and the blocks are approx 1" each). That has removed all the trial and error out of leveling.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #26

THOR #11834
Thanks. I am looking at the Levelmate Pro, as you suggested.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #27

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
2018 Thor Siesta leveling system

I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24 SS and decided to added a hydraulic leveling system to it. I went with the Equalizer leveling system. I looked at the HWH system and went with the Equalizer. It costs around $6,000 including installation. It also comes with an app for your smart phone so that you can remotely control/operate it. You have to remember that with the MB Sprinter chassis, you can not wield anything to the frame or you void the manufacturer warranty and may cause frame issues. Both the HWH and the Equalizer systems bolt onto the chassis. My coach originally only came with rear electric stabilizers which only help to keep it from rocking when parked. The way the chassis is built causes the coach to lean forward so I was having to put blocks under the front wheels to help eliminate the forward lean. The Equailizer system works great. Getting ready to go out on a 6 week road trip from Calif to Florida. up to Kentucky and Oklahoma before returning to Calif. Another advantage to having a hydraulic leveling system is that you can lift the entire coach off the ground to work under it or change a tire. Always add additional safety by using a bottle jack or jack stands.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #28

THOR #11834
6000!
Old 04-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #29

Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
The blocks are splitting, sliding, and falling apart, even though they are interlocked and stepped for height

I have had problems if I don't get a pretty smooth surface UNDER the pads. Mainly getting rid of larger rocks that put pressure on a bottom surface or edge of the block "matrix" on the underside.

I saw a guy in Rockhound State Park in Texas (great place, BTW) who pulled in, eye-balled the ground and his RV, scooped up some rocks and dirt in front of the lower tires, and pulled forward onto the rock piles to level his RV. And I think there was a guy in this forum - maybe even this thread - who did the same...

Good luck!

Dan
Old 04-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #30

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Leveling with dualies - both tires?

I don’t recall the brand but I occasionally use my red LEGO blocks under my leveling jacks. Sometimes also under a tire that otherwise would be off the ground when I’m on the jacks, but of course there’s not much weight on the blocks after I run the jacks down. I’ve used the same blocks for years and they’ve held up well.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #31

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
yeah I think my problem was I was not moving the rocks around so it damaged my blocks. I should have done that so the blocks were more stable plus they wont slide around as much when pulling the RV on top of them.

I think Bob Denman was the guy with the shovel (or he told us a story about another RV'er with a shovel) they would did holes for tires to make it easier to level - great idea - but I would fill the holes when I left so it dont look so bad.

The Basic Big Foot Platium was on sale for $1985 + 150 for bolt on (No weld) kit. It was a hassle to install.

But you can have Big Foot in Sturgis IN install (weld on - which I think is better) for only $250 - 300. So your out the door at like $2300 plus tax.

Bet bang for the buck (IMO) for Hydraulic levelers.

You can have your local shop weld it on but I was qouted almost $1000 for the install so I did it myself. And I didnt trust the quailty of the install.

The HWH is a fine system and has auto level.

But BF offers Auto level for a little more as well.

Something to think about. It gets old real quick messing with blocks and a waste of time when you can be drinking beers around the fire pit.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote