Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2017, 01:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Leveling with dualies - both tires?

Another newbie question: I have a 2015 Thor Siesta 24'. Dualies on the back. Leveling is done with pads under the tires. So, the question is: when leveling, do I need pads under both the inside and outside tires, to avoid putting a strain on the suspension, or can I use just one tire? If so - does it matter, inside or outside?

I assume it would be BETTER to put pads under both tires - but space is somewhat limited, of course, and I don't want to spend money on pads I don't really need...

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

Old 02-01-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I use the "lego" blocks (Lynx Levelers) to level our Axis. I keep 3 bags of them on board in case I need to block up the back (or go extra high on the front).

So far I haven't had to lift the rear--in all cases I've had to lift the front (I think the Axis rides slightly front low anyway).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:02 AM   #3

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I use the "lego" blocks (Lynx Levelers) to level our Axis. I keep 3 bags of them on board in case I need to block up the back (or go extra high on the front).

So far I haven't had to lift the rear--in all cases I've had to lift the front (I think the Axis rides slightly front low anyway).
That's what I'll do - always park with the front lower than the back!

I use the same blocks, but only have one set at the moment, plus some wood boards. One set doesn't go very far if you have to stack them 2-high.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:36 AM   #4

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Dan- Recommend blocking both tires on dualies. The concern would not be the suspension but exceeding the weight rating of the one tire that is carrying all the weight
Camco makes a double leveling block that I use under the duals.. More convenient and doesn't shift around. Parking at my SIL's I use a stack of 6 blocks under both the wheels on the driver's side. (3+2+1)
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:28 AM   #5

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Those tires take a lot of abuse rocketing down the road. One is plenty.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:54 AM   #6

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
i use block under both tires.why leave 1 hanging?
Old 02-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is the double leveling blocks at Camping World.

and Here they are at Amazon. Interesting that they are the same price now (ok within a dozen cents or so).

Watch the video on the Amazon link: pretty cool way to store them.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
A bit of 'it depends'... are you using the blocks to support the full weight? or are they being used with jacks just to keep something between wheels and ground?

If the tires will be bearing the full weight (no jacks), then I would choose to block both wheels - there are dual tires there to increase the weight capacity, and would think you would likely be over the single tire capacity in a normally loaded rig... May also depend how long you will be in that position.

If using jacks that will be bearing the bulk of the weight - and blocks just so the rear wheels aren't 'off the ground' - then I think a single wheel is fine... As soon as the jack starts to lift the suspension, weight is taken off the tires - and I would expect blocking a single wheel to be more than enough.

Had a DP with dualies and tag axle pull in here - and decide to park 'nose in' to face their relatives on the next site... Changed from needing significant jack height on front to the rear - more than enough to lift the wheels... He blocked the outer wheel of the pair on each side with multiple 2x10's and left the tag hanging. The bulk of the weight is clearly on the jacks. So far hasn't gone anywhere...
Reminding me I need to replace my spare cut 2x10's - he didn't have enough.. lol
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

THOR #3975
Thanks for the input, everyone. Think I'll buy some more blocks!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #10

State: Illinois
THOR #6400
I also have a AXIS. Which I also believe rides lower in the front. I am looking for the best solution, When only blocking up the front wheels..Has this been successful for you.. I was thinking about doing the same thing..
Old 02-03-2017, 01:48 AM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Where we camp at sometimes both front wheels and one pair of duals. Sometimes just one side. With dual I have always blocked both. We use a combo of Lynx, 20, 2X8's and 5/4X6.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:58 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Hello,

I guess I cheat a little.

When I back into my site (all have been gravel so far) I stop about 2 feet short of where I want to end up and I get out with my 2 ft level. I go to the corner that looks the lowest (usually the rear) and put the level on the bumper. I then raise the level to what looks like level, I guestimate the rise off the bumper for left to right side multiply by four (half the axle width since I am using a 2 ft level) and then - using my trusty entrenching tool and rake build a ramp out of the gravel present. I then open one of the storage bays on the side raise the level, I guestimate the rise and multiply by 7.5 (roughly 1/2 the wheel base in feet since I'm measuring the rise with a 2 ft level). I then subtact the earlier number of the left to right from that number from front to back and rake/shovel that much more gravel behind the rear. The most I have had to add is 4 inches on the low corner (I did cheat by digging out under the highest corner to lower it to level across the front). As long as the water drains out of the shower drain and the fridge does not close by itself...I declair the docking procedures a success.

When I leave the campsite I rake things back (more or less) to what was there originally. As being only a 20 month RV'er I do not know if this is acceptible behavior, but I have not been called in on the carpet...yet. While I was enlisted (Spc-5) in the Army, I learned it is easier to offer an apology than to get permission.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
Leveling with dualies - both tires?

After 30 years in the tire industry, New, Retreads, and teaching repairs I believe you should place boards under both tires to equalize the loading.

Under inflation and over loading are the MAJOR CAUSE OF tire failure. I weigh coaches at all wheel positions at an Escapee park.

I'm not a gambler though.

AA0RI
Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #14

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Hello,

I guess I cheat a little.

When I back into my site (all have been gravel so far) I stop about 2 feet short of where I want to end up and I get out with my 2 ft level. I go to the corner that looks the lowest (usually the rear) and put the level on the bumper. I then raise the level to what looks like level, I guestimate the rise off the bumper for left to right side multiply by four (half the axle width since I am using a 2 ft level) and then - using my trusty entrenching tool and rake build a ramp out of the gravel present. I then open one of the storage bays on the side raise the level, I guestimate the rise and multiply by 7.5 (roughly 1/2 the wheel base in feet since I'm measuring the rise with a 2 ft level). I then subtact the earlier number of the left to right from that number from front to back and rake/shovel that much more gravel behind the rear. The most I have had to add is 4 inches on the low corner (I did cheat by digging out under the highest corner to lower it to level across the front). As long as the water drains out of the shower drain and the fridge does not close by itself...I declair the docking procedures a success.

When I leave the campsite I rake things back (more or less) to what was there originally. As being only a 20 month RV'er I do not know if this is acceptible behavior, but I have not been called in on the carpet...yet. While I was enlisted (Spc-5) in the Army, I learned it is easier to offer an apology than to get permission.

Doc
Wow - impressive math, engineering, and construction! Seriously...

To get to the heart of my question - if you had to raise one or both rear sides, and you had dualies, I am guessing you would build up the gravel under both tires on a side, not just one tire?

I leveled my RV when it was parked in front of my house recently, and only supported the outside rear tire. And looking at that, I said to myself "that doesn't look good." Which is what raised my question - and I have decided to always level both dualies - assuming the slope requires it.

Thanks for the response!
Dan
Old 02-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Supporting weight from either rear tire places a lot more stress on hub bearings. Whether that's enough to cause damage or premature wear over time is anyone's guess. That would concern me as much as damaging tires.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #16

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dan,

Yes my gravel "ramps" are wide enough for the dual tires. After having to add to both sides of the RV on the rear one time, I added the step of digging out under the high front tire and leveling the front end prior to working on the low side on the rear. I have yet to get a RV site that was lower on the front end...but I've only been RV'ing for 20 months.

I am glad you asked your question as, once the weather gets better, I have a Mod to work on the driveway under our Vegas and I have been wondering about how to support the dual tires to get a few more inches of working room (I now longer have my "school boy" figure). Looks like both the dual tires need to be supported before I crawl under the RV.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Leveling Solution Getting My Rig in Next Week or So:)

Hi All,

I think so far I'm the first one to get a Vegas with the 25.4 floorplan (last of the 2017's to come off of the line). It is arriving at my dealership early next week. In thinking about my leveling needs and reading this thread, seems as if I might get one package of the brown ones for leveling the dual back tires and then one regular set of something like lynx levelers and that should suffice?

Does anyone have any thoughts about the need to also chock the wheels?

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the Anderson levelers? Presumably those would be difficult to use with the dual wheels in the rear of the coach?

thanks
Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask
I think so far I'm the first one to get a Vegas with the 25.4 floorplan (last of the 2017's to come off of the line). It is arriving at my dealership early next week. In thinking about my leveling needs and reading this thread, seems as if I might get one package of the brown ones for leveling the dual back tires and then one regular set of something like lynx levelers and that should suffice?

Does anyone have any thoughts about the need to also chock the wheels?

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the Anderson levelers? Presumably those would be difficult to use with the dual wheels in the rear of the coach?
So far I've only had to use my Lynx Levelers for the front wheels (as mentioned above). I did pick up one set of the wider Camco levelers last fall--haven't had to use them yet.

I don't have any experience with the Anderson ones but I think it would be difficult to get them exactly on the spot you want (sure someone can guide you to the right spot but once you put it in park and/or take your feet off the brakes it will move slightly--even if you use the e-brake it will move slightly).

Since we use the wheels for leveling I've never had to chock the unit--I simply set the e-brake. In addition: Since we've only had to raise the front the e-brake has been sufficient as the rears have always been on Terra firma.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:12 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Thanks Jamie,

I appreciate your thoughts on the Anderson ones. I'll be solo so seems as if the Lynx ones and maybe one pack of the wider, Camco ones, would be more then enough. Will be interesting to see how it all goes in action when I get started in a few weeks.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karwask
I appreciate your thoughts on the Anderson ones. I'll be solo so seems as if the Lynx ones and maybe one pack of the wider, Camco ones, would be more then enough. Will be interesting to see how it all goes in action when I get started in a few weeks.
If you are going solo you might want to pick up one of those wireless backup cameras--if you can find one with its own battery. Then you could set it on the ground next to the wheels/levelers and just watch the monitor on the dash. You'd get it perfect every time. (Or if you have a spare cell or iPad you could just facetime between them.)