Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2020, 11:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: Texas
THOR #11223
Leveling Jacks/Slide

I have Thor ACE 30.4. At the campsite, I put the jacks down first and level the RV. After it is level, then I put out the slide. I do this all the time.
My wife read an article in RV Living Magazine, that some people put out the slide then put down the jacks to level.

My question is, am I doing it the correct way by leveling with the jacks first, then putting the slide out?

Please advise. Thank you!

Old 05-03-2020, 02:44 AM   #2

Model: Tibuton 24RW
State: Missouri
THOR #14227
Jacks down, level, THEN put the slides out
JG
Toad, 2019 Ranger
Retired School Teachers
Ozark Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:08 AM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Honestly the slides aren't as delicate as most would have you believe, but leveling first is the best recommended option.
During our full-time travels there were numerous times at rest areas or parking lots that we put the kitchen slide (largest/heaviest of the 3) out to have lunch & it never fell out onto the pavement or had any other issues doing so without leveling. One disclaimer, if it was terribly out of level we didn't do so.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Leveling puts a fair amount of strain on the body of the coach during the process. You don't want the slide out when leveling because it will put excessive strain / torque on the slide mechanism.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:36 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #11223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Traveler View Post
JG
Thank you!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:31 AM   #6

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Traveler View Post
JG
Totally agree
Old 05-04-2020, 02:38 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Leveling first does seem logical but my MH owners manual (SOB) is very clear to put out the slides first and then level. They feel so strongly about it that they put out a technical service bulletin to reinforce that process. Go figure.

Bottom line, follow the owners manual. But if it doesn’t say what mine does I’d still level first!
Old 05-04-2020, 03:32 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Since my jacks require the engine be running to level and the engine be off to operate the slide, I level then slide.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:43 AM   #9

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Since my jacks require the engine be running to level and the engine be off to operate the slide, I level then slide.

Ditto LT-our Aria is the same way-level first then extend the slides. We also purge the airbags before leveling to lower the stance of the coach (it is applicable to those running air bag suspensions).
GVP
Old 05-05-2020, 12:36 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
You only do the slides first if they are the flush (inset) kind of slide walls. ( like Newmar makes) Then only the full wall slides are the concern. It's all about the reveal. It has to be square. And thats square with the chassis. I dont think Thor makes any like that.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:39 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #16050
I'm kind of new to RVing, but I own a Vegas 27.7. It does not come with a leveling system. It only comes with two stabilizing jacks in the rear. Both of my slides are on the driver side. It constantly feels as though the slides, weather I level or slide first, always dips the bus towards the driver side (not much, but enough to notice). I thought about driving the driver side onto orange leveling blocks to kind of compensate but I haven't been able to because my coach is having some warranty work done. I plan to try it when I get my coach back.

Does anyone out there have the same issue? Any suggestions/advice?
Old 05-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Esqui,

I have the same issue with my Motorhome, usually level, then slide out and adjust level again. That changed two weeks ago when I bought a LevelMate Pro. The set up takes into account how much the rig tips when the slides are extended and then adjusts for it when you level the rig. So much easier than using a bubble or torpedo level.

I've only used it in the drive but it works and was easy to install and set up. I got it from Camping World, if you enter email you get 10% off.

https://www.campingworld.com/levelma...ch-104758.html
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
My S.O.B. works the same way...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #14

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Newmar does seem to be one of those manufacturers that tend to direct owners to extend slides first, then level, but honestly, I don't think it matters either way, no matter what brand or model you have...

but, since it's obvious that some models, like our Palazzo, suggest that the engine be ON when leveling, and yet must be OFF when operating the slides, it would seem obvious that you would LEVEL first, then extend the slides.... but, wait! You CAN level the coach WITHOUT the engine running, so, if you know that, you can certainly extend the slides, then Level, without restarting the coach....I've done it plenty of times.

I think that the question really arises from a fear that somehow one before the other, or vice versa, is somehow going to 'break' something, or cause some type of mechanical 'problem'... but I don't think that's the case, at all. Slides aren't that 'fragile' that having them extended if the coach is not exactly level is going to present any issue. Unless you are on a very extreme slant, and the coach is about to already 'tip over', it's not an issue.

Do it either way you feel comfortable...

(just for reference, dealerships drive/move many coaches around their lots , with slides still out. If you call your dealer, then call the manufacture, you might even still get two different answers!)
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Big difference in quality between models. My slide is marginal at best so leveling before extending is a good idea, out of level can cause binding and extra strain on the motors. Thor has improved the newer models but mine is truly marginal. I am not even able to upgrade to the stronger motors because the shafts are aluminum.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Thor Motor Coach Plant 750 engineers thoughts on slides and leveling are as follows - slides are installed and leveled on the level shop floor and this situation should be recreated before the slides are moved. The coaches are often parked on uneven parking spots resulting in frame twisting. Moving the slides at this time could cause slide binding and motor overload. The leveling jacks always deploy in pairs to release frame twisting, so if the coach is level using the jacks there is no twisting of the frame; thus the coach is in the same position as was on the factory and slides will not bind.

Other plants and manufactures may have other engineering considerations and the use of in-floor, level-floor or flush-wall slides which may require different procedures than the Schwintek in-wall slide system used by Thor Motor Coach plant 750.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #17

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by droark55 View Post
I have Thor ACE 30.4. At the campsite, I put the jacks down first and level the RV. After it is level, then I put out the slide. I do this all the time.
My wife read an article in RV Living Magazine, that some people put out the slide then put down the jacks to level.

My question is, am I doing it the correct way by leveling with the jacks first, then putting the slide out?

Please advise. Thank you!
We have a 2020 ACE 33.1. Manual and numerous videos say level first, then slides out. I would agree with this since the slides do have some "give" to them and leveling, well, levels the chassis. So, if, you put the slides out first, you are still only leveling the chassis, if you level first, same thing, you are only leveling the chassis, hum?
Old 05-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #18

State: New Jersey
THOR #13774
My owners manual on a chateau 31w says to put the Jack's down first than the slide. So you should read your manual for your coach tonsee what is says.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:51 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
As said earlier, we were at the Newmar factory having a slide repaired, always, always always put the slides out and then level. It seemed odd to me but that’s what they told me. I’m sure it’s specific to Newmar slides. They also said to raise the levelers before you bring the slides back in, again opposite to what physics tells me.

Phil
Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #20

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Always, jacks down first.