Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Steering

Is it normal for the ford chassis on axis to have a lot of play. I drive a Prius which has no play.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Hugh - The first couple of time out after we bought the Vegas 24.1 I had the same thought. But I've driven it 5000 miles now and I no longer notice the play nor feel like I'm constantly steering to keep the RV in the center of my lane. With me, it was just a matter of getting used to the vehicle.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That is simply the result of the steering geometry in the E-Series chassis. Drive any old Ford van and it will feel the same way.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:06 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Most modern cars use rack-and-pinion steering which yields better feel with less slop, while heavier-duty trucks and older cars often use a steering box pitman arm system.

I have an old Mustang that has far more steering play (had a lot since new) than even my E-Series. Steering on newer cars with rack and pinion always feel much tighter to me.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #5

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Hugh,

I added the Safe-T-Plus to our 2016 Vegas 24.1(E350) and it is now two finger steering. Even in heavy rain it is so comfortable that I have to use cruise control to keep it under 65mph on the interstate.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #6

State: Alberta
THOR #2791
Loose steering can be caused by not enough +caster.

Not having enough front end +caster can give loose steering symptoms. The Ford E350/450 have a specified range from + 1.5 to + 7.5 degrees of caster. It appears Ford ships the E series set at about +3 Degrees which is good for city driving but you want to have more then +5 degrees for highway driving.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Hey harvard, good to see you here.
I've followed your posts on this topic with interest over on the other motorhome RV Forum site that I frequent
in fact i have referenced some of your posts here on this forum, that you have made over there.
Unfortunately, i was never successful in getting my caster angle up to the angles that you suggest. The alignment guy at Josams explained it was a compromise against camber angle, at least it is with the current bushing set-up..... meaning that to get any more positive caster in my chassis, means adversely affecting the camber angle which would cause more "bump steer" and rut tracking problems.
I don't have 100% confidence that it is just plain not possible, but it does make some sense I think.... what he was saying.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #8

THOR #2121
We should probably get some clarification on what he means by steering "play". I've always heard it used in a different context than loose.

In my opinion it's hard comparing the steering of a Prius with that of a motorhome even under ideal conditions.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #9

THOR #2791
In my case I applied the full available +caster adjustment and just accepted the resulting camber adjustment to be as close as possible to 0.0 degrees.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

THOR #3471
How much should I expect to pay for an alignment
Old 01-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #11

THOR #2791
Buyer beware....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
How much should I expect to pay for an alignment
Unfortunately it is very much a buyer beware position to find the service you need. The majority of alignment shops have a "adjust the toe and your good to go" mode of operation. One needs to be boned up on alignments to avoid that type of service.

In the case of the Ford E series a set of adjustable alignment sleeves (such as Ingalls 594) must be installed in order to adjust the caster and camber.

Here is a link to my experience with this topic circa 2011.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Old 01-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #12

THOR #3471
Alignment cost

Took my axis to heavy truck repair shop for an alignment as per Thor instructions. It was out of adjustment according to them. This fixed the problem. Drove home on i75 and no more wandering from side to side. Thor rep was very nice and told me to send them the bill.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #13

THOR #2791
Do you have an alignment report that you could share with others who may in the future go down this path. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #14

THOR #4102
2016 castor bushing part number

I would like to add offset castor bushings to my 2016 E450 Thor Axis. Can someone verify if the part number from Ingalls is 59400 for these newer chassis?

Thanks,

Jay