Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2021, 04:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 class c 31w
State: California
THOR #9093
leveler breaker

Anyone have a problem with the leveler popping the main breaker? Happens on the finish and sometimes when the jack gets fully extended. RV place says it could be coach batteries with the motor running? I have 3 batteries and 2 are not quite up to par at cranking voltage, This is a 31W Thor C class.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Voltage on the low side?
Weak battery?
Loose connection?
Motor or pump have issues?

Check the motor and pump temperatures after leveling or when the breaker trips

Should be warm but not hot
Old 07-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The breaker tripping typically means the motor is drawing too much current. That could be caused by a loose or corroded cable at the battery, the breaker, the solenoid, or the motor. It could also mean an issue with the motor itself.

If there is not enough voltage, then you get a Low Voltage Alarm (not a tripped breaker).

The engine is running so that the alternator is providing a boost to the house batteries to get them over 13V to run the leveler motor efficiently.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills1334 View Post
Anyone have a problem with the leveler popping the main breaker? Happens on the finish and sometimes when the jack gets fully extended. RV place says it could be coach batteries with the motor running? I have 3 batteries and 2 are not quite up to par at cranking voltage, This is a 31W Thor C class.
What does that mean? Are those your house batteries? The hydraulic motor uses the house batteries so if they are bad (voltage low) the motor will pull too much current and trip the breaker AND damage the commutator on the motor. Two new batteries cost much less than a new hydraulic motor.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #5

THOR #9093
leveler

voltage is at 12.7 then assisted by alt. when the pump arm reaches full extension does it time with the pump trying to extend or is there a limit stop to turn the pump off or just trip the breaker
Old 07-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
voltage is at 12.7 then assisted by alt. when the pump arm reaches full extension does it time with the pump trying to extend or is there a limit stop to turn the pump off or just trip the breaker
No sure which leveling system you have but the LCI level up system requires 13.1 volts to operate. Below that you get a low voltage error but it generally doesn’t trip the breaker.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #7

THOR #6903
Quote:
Don't try to run the motor beyond the hydraulic rams extended length or if in manual don't run the motor/hydraulic after it is retracted

No there is no automatic switch either way extending, or retracting

So if you keep pressing the button and the fluid has nowhere to go you will eventually burn out the motor
Old 07-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #8

THOR #9093
leveler

this tends to happen when using auto level hear the pump run and arm reaches full extension and pump just cycles then stops. Must be stop limit at retraction or it would not know when the arm was fully retracted and what tells the pump to stop when fully extended because something does.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #9

THOR #9093
leveler

Very discouraged by my visit to La mesa rv want to charge me 800 to tell me theres no draw on my starter battery and 2 house batteries with lower cranking amps could cause my breaker to trip which through multiple leveling cycles wouldnt trip and trying to duplicate a discharged battery at the repair has been impossible . still i leave it at home for 4or 5 days and plugged in at the campground last trip battery went low.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
this tends to happen when using auto level hear the pump run and arm reaches full extension and pump just cycles then stops. Must be stop limit at retraction or it would not know when the arm was fully retracted and what tells the pump to stop when fully extended because something does.
Pressure limit switch.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #11

THOR #9093
leveler

thats what i figured but the tech says there's not one on this system or hes saying no extension limit switch just pump pressure switch which does the same thing so i was to deal with a popped breaker when this happens
Old 07-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
thats what i figured but the tech says there's not one on this system or hes saying no extension limit switch just pump pressure switch which does the same thing so i was to deal with a popped breaker when this happens
The pump pressure switch is a pressure limit switch. If it doesn't shut off the pump before the breaker trips it isn't doing its job. Either that or the breaker is too weak.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #13

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
The 2 batteries with low voltage are causing more problems than helping, I suggest you take them out of the circuit OR replace them then continue with your testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The breaker tripping typically means the motor is drawing too much current. That could be caused by a loose or corroded cable at the battery, the breaker, the solenoid, or the motor. It could also mean an issue with the motor itself.

If there is not enough voltage, then you get a Low Voltage Alarm (not a tripped breaker).

The engine is running so that the alternator is providing a boost to the house batteries to get them over 13V to run the leveler motor efficiently.
Judge has suggested checking you battery connections, I'm going to suggest checking your ground connectionS. 1 loose/corroded ground will cause stranger problems than low voltage, which is one of the problems it can/will cause. Good luck and keep us updated.

FYI only use a RV dealer unless you are desperate, have deep pockets and can be without your mh for a month or more.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #14

THOR #6903
Quote:
PSIG limit switch as mentioned and if you manual level you can trip a breaker fairly easy if you over extend
Old 07-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
don't over extend jacks

The extra stress on the seals will make them fail early. I did this several times, ended up buying new jacks 5 years later.. Now I put blocks down so jacks will not extend more then 50%, also under tires when needed so they do not go off the ground.. I use manual level most of the time now also. $3000 repair I could have avoided.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #16

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Happens to mine from time to time. My LCI jacks require the engine to run when extending jacks. So battery status doesn’t matter.

Usually happens when front jacks get full extended.

Once I found the breaker I live with it.

I now get a sound from time to time from one of the jacks. One of these days I’m going to replace some of the ATF with the stuff that is supposed to lubricate.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #17

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
PSIG limit switch as mentioned and if you manual level you can trip a breaker fairly easy if you over extend
Actually happens on auto level. When I manual level never happens.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:26 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Happens to mine from time to time. My LCI jacks require the engine to run when extending jacks. So battery status doesn’t matter.

I now get a sound from time to time from one of the jacks. One of these days I’m going to replace some of the ATF with the stuff that is supposed to lubricate.

Jacks are going bad. Could take a couple years. Same thing I did, and happened. Don't use auto level, start putting blocks so no full extensions.. You got Lippert jacks right?
Old 07-08-2021, 01:03 AM   #19

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post

Jacks are going bad. Could take a couple years. Same thing I did, and happened. Don't use auto level, start putting blocks so no full extensions.. You got Lippert jacks right?
Yes…LCI
Old 07-08-2021, 01:27 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Actually happens on auto level. When I manual level never happens.
Maybe you need to calibrate the auto level setting? Personally, I always level manually as the auto-level tends to take you on a roller coaster ride and extends jacks farther than they really need to be.