Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 11:33 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Guys,

Newbie question here, do they charge for the weigh and if so how much? Also, is there a special lane or do you just fall in behind the big rigs?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:25 AM   #22

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
That would give "average" weight per rear tire, but most tire tables aren't set up like that. You'd have to convert which is more work.
The Michelin chart is set up for duals which is what makes a difference in the rear. The two duals together for total rear weight and max weight per dual. It tells you what is the max weight you should have on the rear axel. In my case 10,000 lbs max or 5,000 lbs max per side.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:39 AM   #23

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Is there a weight posted anywhere other than the one Thor puts by the driver like on the truck?
I don't think what weight Thor has on the placards really makes any difference except for an estimate of what weight the RV can carry. Unless the GVWR is substantially less than the carrying weights of the tires, the tire carrying capacity is what drives your loading. The truck manufacturer matches the GVWR to the load carrying capacity of the tires. In the E-450, for example, the GVWR is 14,500 lbs and the six Michelin tires in the vehicle are rated for about 15,000 lbs at max psi. The four tires in the back are rated for a total of 10,000 lbs or 5000 lbs per side and the front tires are rated for a total of 5,000 lbs or 2,500 lbs per side. Have your RV weighted and make sure you are within those max weight parameters and, if you are really concerned, that your total weight does not exceed the 14,500 GVWR for the chassis.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:49 AM   #24

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The Michelin chart is set up for duals which is what makes a difference in the rear. The two duals together for total rear weight and max weight per dual. It tells you what is the max weight you should have on the rear axel. In my case 10,000 lbs max or 5,000 lbs max per side.
Max weight on rear axle isn't necessarily limited by tires.

To be clear so there is no misunderstanding, these tire load tables show the maximum the tires can handle, which is often greater than what the axles are rated for.

In the case of the E-Series chassis, all DRW models come with same size and rating of tires, but that exceeds some axle ratings by a significant amount.

DRW E-Series come with 7,800-, 8,500-, and 9,600-pound rear axles, yet tires can handle up to 9,880-pounds at maximum pressure of 80 PSI.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:57 AM   #25

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 Thor Damon Daybreak
State: Colorado
THOR #3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Guys,

Newbie question here, do they charge for the weigh and if so how much? Also, is there a special lane or do you just fall in behind the big rigs?

Doc
I had mine weighed at a local sand & gravel yard, it was $10.00 for a certified weight slip, took about 10 minutes is all.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #26

THOR #2142
Dvan,

Thanks. I was not sure where to go and what to expect.

Doc

Old 03-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
At the cat scales you pull on the scales and hit the intercom button. They walk you through the rest. The one I usually use never has a line on weekends.

Costs about $15.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #28

THOR #2142
Great,

Do you need a spotter outside to line up on the scales?

Doc

Old 03-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Great,

Do you need a spotter outside to line up on the scales?

Doc
Not on the ones I've used. If you drive up and stop where the intercom button lines up with driver, the front wheels will be on a separate section than the rear. You may just want to stick your head out the window (or door) for a second and confirm that the rear wheels are not between two sections -- would depend on your vehicle length/wheelbase. I think that if that happened they would probably tell you anyway. It's very easy and well worth the cost. For me it went up from $7 to $10 last time I did it, which was a while.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #30

THOR #2121
P.S.

The only time I recall it being a little more difficult was when I weighed a small pickup and trailer. I wanted each pickup axle and trailer separately, which required backing up so trailer axle was on separate scale. And when I did that I couldn't reach the intercom button which was too high for me when standing on ground. Fortunately they must have had a camera and saw me, and instructed me to come inside and get the ticket.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
And when I did that I couldn't reach the intercom button which was too high for me when standing on ground.
Yeah when I've weighed the cars I must look pretty silly jumping up and down trying to hit the button LOL
Old 03-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #32

THOR #2142
Thanks, I know where some Cat Scales are on the way to Cherokee. I'll stop there and get it done.

Doc

Old 03-27-2016, 01:57 AM   #33
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
weighed mine today on cat scales... Very easy to line up - front tires on first platform, rear axle on second, toad on third...
reached out window to intercom...
then inside to pick up results. $10.

very close to max weight... Fully loaded as we were returning from 3+ month trip. 1/2 tanks of gas, water, propane.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #34

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The load vs tire pressure is not based on RV model but rather based on the tires.

Here is the link to the Michelin Chart for RV tires

Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for motorhomes and recreational vehicles. | Michelin RV Tires

The table represents axle ends so if you do not have 4 corner weights multiply the weight by 2 to get the axle weight.
Thanks very much, Dave. With your link to Michelin (and other comments in this thread) showing weight and corresponding psi amounts, I am beginning to understand about my tires before going on a long trip with no knowledge what-so-ever! ~debbie
Old 07-28-2016, 01:28 AM   #35

THOR #1765
First major trip on my 2016 Axis on the E/450 Chassis, so I weighed it with full water and fuel. I was pleasantly suprised to find that I was almost 2000 lbs under my max of 14,500 lbs, however, I am only 120 lbs from max on the front axel. Might have to move the wife to the back of the bus. Guess I'll keep the front tires at 75 psi like Ford recommends and drop the rear tires to 75psi from the recommended 80 psi, which is the max for these tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	2587  
Old 07-28-2016, 01:52 AM   #36
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Interesting, ours on the E-350 chassis was 4700, and 6700 with full water, fuel, propane, and people.

Wow, looking at the stripped chassis specs, I'm 100 lbs over the GAWR on the front and 1100 lbs under in the rear. That is depending on the base wheelbase they used before stretching to 188"--if they used the 158" or 176" frames then I'm 300 lbs under and 1800 under in the rear.

At least for the 2016 version: E-Series cutaway specs (pdf)
Old 07-28-2016, 02:12 AM   #37

THOR #1765
My sticker says 5000 front and 9600 rear and 14,500 gross.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 AM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Don't know what my sticker says as I'm not at the camper so I had to look it up (link in previous post).
Old 07-28-2016, 04:17 AM   #39

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Interesting, ours on the E-350 chassis was 4700, and 6700 with full water, fuel, propane, and people.

Wow, looking at the stripped chassis specs, I'm 100 lbs over the GAWR on the front and 1100 lbs under in the rear. That is depending on the base wheelbase they used before stretching to 188"--if they used the 158" or 176" frames then I'm 300 lbs under and 1800 under in the rear.

At least for the 2016 version: E-Series cutaway specs (pdf)
Someone posted drawings of chassis a month or two ago, and it showed Thor starting out with 158-inch wheelbase and then stretching 30-inches to get to 188 inches.

Regarding your rear axle, Axis and Vegas on E-350 chassis are built on 12,500-pound GVWR instead of the lighter-duty 11,500-pound chassis, so your Axis should have an 8,500-pound rear axle, not the 7,800-pound axle.

Specs also show front axles themselves are rated at 5,000 pounds. It appears lighter springs account for the 4,600 ratings. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the 100-pound overload -- but that's just me.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:33 AM   #40

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
First major trip on my 2016 Axis on the E/450 Chassis, so I weighed it with full water and fuel. I was pleasantly suprised to find that I was almost 2000 lbs under my max of 14,500 lbs, however, I am only 120 lbs from max on the front axel. Might have to move the wife to the back of the bus. Guess I'll keep the front tires at 75 psi like Ford recommends and drop the rear tires to 75psi from the recommended 80 psi, which is the max for these tires.
Whatever you do DONT move your beloved to the back of the bus. Could be detrimental to your health plus if your wife is like mine she gets us to our destination and feeds me well.