Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Illinois
THOR #14942
Macerator not emptying grey tank

When I use the macerator pump to empty my black tank it seems to work fine but when I use it on the gray tank it seems to get air in the line and just empties in spurts maybe a big spurt then little ones. When I shut off the pump and go over to the tank location I can tell that the big hose that feeds the macerator pump still has water in it. I'm concerned about damaging the pump if it's not flowing with water. Also concerned that I don't seem to be emptying the tank completely

Old 05-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Just a silly question. You do have the grey tank dump valve open? I had a macerator system on my 2016 Winnebago ERA for the 2 years I owned it and never had a problem with how it pumped the two tanks empty.

The only other solution is that something is blocking your grey tank from emptying.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
How much js
'isn't completely'?
10%,40%, almost still full?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #4

THOR #14942
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Just a silly question. You do have the grey tank dump valve open? I had a macerator system on my 2016 Winnebago ERA for the 2 years I owned it and never had a problem with how it pumped the two tanks empty.

The only other solution is that something is blocking your grey tank from emptying.
Yes it has a release on the driver's side where the macerator switch is. Cable pull. I actually went to the passenger side and reached up inside to pull on handle to make sure cable was ok. So my dumb question... Shouldn't I expect a steady stream until it empties and starts sucking some air? Im actually guessing on how empty it is because the sensors don't give me accuate measure on wall panel. And I can't see the tank. But I can tell by lifting the hose at the macerator the large feed line into the macerator is full. Black tank flows steady
Old 05-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #5

THOR #14942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
How much js
'isn't completely'?
10%,40%, almost still full?
Im actually guessing on how empty it is because the sensors don't give me accurate measure on wall panel. I'd guess 80 % emptied, but does that in spurts not steady like the black tank. . And I can't see the tank. But I can tell by lifting the hose at the macerator the large feed line into the macerator is full.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
When I use the macerator pump to empty my black tank it seems to work fine but when I use it on the gray tank it seems to get air in the line and just empties in spurts maybe a big spurt then little ones. When I shut off the pump and go over to the tank location I can tell that the big hose that feeds the macerator pump still has water in it. I'm concerned about damaging the pump if it's not flowing with water. Also concerned that I don't seem to be emptying the tank completely
According to your info you have an ACE. Was the macerator factory installed or did you install it yourself?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Is there any way that you can access the gray tank, and determine how much (if anything); is being left in it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #8

THOR #14942
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
According to your info you have an ACE. Was the macerator factory installed or did you install it yourself?
I'm second owner. I don't know the answer to that question. Im confident that the first owner didn't do it himself. Could be dealer installed
Old 05-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #9

THOR #14942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Is there any way that you can access the gray tank, and determine how much (if anything); is being left in it?
I'll look again. But I don't think so
Old 05-08-2020, 04:04 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck!
You might be able to get away with the simple "Tap-Test"; to figure out what's left in the tank.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I'm second owner. I don't know the answer to that question. Im confident that the first owner didn't do it himself. Could be dealer installed
In that case verify the installation. The ACE did not have a factory installed macerator so whoever installed it may have botched the job. Without seeing the unit or some pictures of the install anything suggested here is just a suggestion and is hit and miss.

What make and model macerator was installed? Is it a Flowjet, SaniCon, Clean Dump (modified Flowjet).
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #12

THOR #14942
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
In that case verify the installation. The ACE did not have a factory installed macerator so whoever installed it may have botched the job. Without seeing the unit or some pictures of the install anything suggested here is just a suggestion and is hit and miss.

What make and model macerator was installed? Is it a Flowjet, SaniCon, Clean Dump (modified Flowjet).
I'll have to check the brand.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #13

THOR #14942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Good luck!
You might be able to get away with the simple "Tap-Test"; to figure out what's left in the tank.
Ill see if I can access some way
Old 05-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
I have the same set-up/issue on my ACE 29.2. The waste (black and Grey) water tanks drains into the large gravity hose on the passenger side, the effluent then has to get pulled up into the macerator and pushed over the chassis frame before going into the smaller diameter discharge hose on the Driver's side. My working assumption has been that as the Grey Water Tank (last to be emptied) gets lower (less volume), the macerator starts pumping air along with the waste water. I don't know if this is correct, nor do I know for sure my system is operating properly. I share your concerns about letting the macerator run on and on while the discharge spurts air/water mixture. No matter how long I let it pump, the large gravity discharge hose on the passenger side always contains a significant amount of water, which I Have to drain manually (messey) to get it all out.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:26 AM   #15

State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Macerator not emptying grey tank

Quote:

Our 2013 A.C.E. 29.2 is equipped as is yours. All the works except the controls are on the passenger side. It’s factory installed. The gray tank sits inboard of the back tank and has a flat bottom unlike the black which has a sloping bottom. Plus, the gray tank exit is smaller than the 3” hose on the black tank. Gray water will flow more slowly just from this. If your A.C.E. Is sitting a little low on the driver side, the gray tank contents will be slow to arrive at the exit and the flow will come in fits and spurts. Just let the macerator run until the fits and spurts come less frequently. There will be residual water remaining in the 3” hose upstream from the macerator but it will get purged with the next black tank dump. There may well be residual water in the gray tank which should not be of concern even after winterizing as antifreeze will make its way into the tank. To ensure completely emptying the gray tank otherwise, use your jacks to raise the driver side a little to cause the gray water to move toward the exit.

Note too that the tank sensors will remain wet and give false readings until they dry out.

We are beginning our 7th year with our A.C.E. and i have had the same concerns as you in the beginning.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #16

State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
Thumbs up

Thanks much Rick - very informative - that answers all my questions on this matter, and puts my mind to rest regarding operation of the macerator system, which I'm very glad to have as it makes the dumping process much easier and cleaner.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:43 AM   #17

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
My 2014 ACE 29.2 acts exactly the same way. I love the idea of using the jacks to tilt the tank towards the drain--thanks for the tip!

--DonK