Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Manuals from Thor

This topic was thoroughly discussed with the Thor rep that came to our rally recently. Here is the suggestion I made:

Each coach should come with a flash drive with specifics for that unit. They already have the schematics, and could build on the dubious generic manuals they provide now. Answers to many of our forum questions might be included. Forum hero Ed Felker probably wouldn't mind if they incorporated some of what he produced.

A quick field trip to any John Deere dealer, and a look at any farm equipment manual would give them an idea of what we really need! Or they could open the manual for any automobile for inspiration. The equipment manuals are more like what I would like to see.

Providing a loaded coach specific flash drive would be cheaper than printing a manual. With a flash drive, midyear changes could be easily adjusted in the files. This would put Thor miles ahead of the competition, until it becomes an industry standard.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:59 AM   #2

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
and thor can sell you flash every time you lose it!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
This topic was thoroughly discussed with the Thor rep that came to our rally recently. Here is the suggestion I made:

Each coach should come with a flash drive with specifics for that unit. They already have the schematics, and could build on the dubious generic manuals they provide now. Answers to many of our forum questions might be included. Forum hero Ed Felker probably wouldn't mind if they incorporated some of what he produced.

A quick field trip to any John Deere dealer, and a look at any farm equipment manual would give them an idea of what we really need! Or they could open the manual for any automobile for inspiration. The equipment manuals are more like what I would like to see.

Providing a loaded coach specific flash drive would be cheaper than printing a manual. With a flash drive, midyear changes could be easily adjusted in the files. This would put Thor miles ahead of the competition, until it becomes an industry standard.

Good idea. Thanks for that one.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Illinois
THOR #10965
Great idea! Just hope they don't hire the guy that writes the Ikea build instructions.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
After reading through the entire Owner's Manual that came with my new unit, I could give it to the guy down the street that owns a truck camper as it applies to everything generic in his also. Nothing in there is specific to my 35SF. I did take the advice of a few here and request schematics from Thor and they were very kind to send 4 of them. Still, not enough detail to troubleshoot anything. No locations for fuses, added relays or plumbing layouts. As stated above...all the detail are there or they couldn't build them. This would save them so much money in CS calls and frustratingly driven, bad reviews. PLUS...it would be so easy!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
A good manual would be nice, for sure, but there’s no substitute for hands on learning. Take a few trips In your coach and you’ll figure it out. I suspect most people don’t read manuals when they are provided anyway.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:55 AM   #7

THOR #11130
Wow...
Old 04-25-2018, 02:18 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
A good manual would be nice, for sure, but there’s no substitute for hands on learning. Take a few trips In your coach and you’ll figure it out. I suspect most people don’t read manuals when they are provided anyway.
I agree that some folks don't read manuals, but many of us turn to them when we can't figure something out or track down a problem. That's when a comprehensive manual would be of immense value.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
I have to agree the manual that came with ours is the pits.
The last camper we had was a Trailmanor and it came with a 8x10 ring binder including full wiring diagrams. All manuals were included for each appliance. Even had a Dexter axle manual.
Flash drive or SD chip is a very good answer especially when some things are vin specific.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
They are starting to here us!

Was having a no power issue with my Axxera AVM 70 head unit last weekend. Could not find a loose wire or bad fuse anywhere. Looking at Thor's website...found some new stuff and you can now download a generic electrical and also water system manual... these are very informative.

Had to send email for the wiring schematics (\that I had asked for in December, they did respond on Tuesday. Sent me the 110/12V wiring diagrams and also at my request the water, drainage and construction drawings as well in a timely manner. ALL POSITIVE IMPROVEMENTS

PS) had to take MH to dealer for a small roof leak & they found a wire had fallen out of the wiring harness... GO FIGURE!!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFigs View Post
Was having a no power issue with my Axxera AVM 70 head unit last weekend. Could not find a loose wire or bad fuse anywhere. Looking at Thor's website...found some new stuff and you can now download a generic electrical and also water system manual... these are very informative.

Had to send email for the wiring schematics (\that I had asked for in December, they did respond on Tuesday. Sent me the 110/12V wiring diagrams and also at my request the water, drainage and construction drawings as well in a timely manner. ALL POSITIVE IMPROVEMENTS

PS) had to take MH to dealer for a small roof leak & they found a wire had fallen out of the wiring harness... GO FIGURE!!
Maybe: All my interactions with Thor have been positive and we purchased our coach back in 2014.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The comment by Gritz Carlton above in post #5 is exactly why I wrote and compiled the manual for my 2015 Vagas 24.1 that I've shared with over 1400 people here on the forum. (The manual is available here https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L:)

The manual in addition to explaining how systems work contains troubleshooting suggestions; how to sections; locations of fuses, switches, relays, valves etc.; modification suggestions; setup/tear down/equipping/winterizing checklists. I updated the manual as new model years were introduced and systems changes were incorporated in newer models (for example: replacing the tanked water heater with propane on demand hot water system).

The sticky for my manual contained in the Motorhome Tech Topic section of this forum was viewed 7482 times. Another sticky that has the list of all the construction drawings I compiled for my Vegas and shared with others on this forum has been viewed 6792 times. As I said earlier I have either forwarded by email or have had my manual downloaded more than 1400 times. All this is a clear indicator that there is a huge demand to fill the RV information void.

As I've said hundreds of times: owning an RV is an adventure in self-discovery.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #13

THOR #11130
While the manual is specific to your Vegas, it is Thor ideology and will work for most other Thor units with a little ingenuity. I love your manual! !
Old 05-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #9701
Supplemental Manual

Cannot thank you enough Ed for all the insight and information you put into your manual. It has helped us in numerous ways to take this journey! THANKS
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Knowledge is power!
Even if that knowledge is just in knowing where to get useful information...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #16

State: Virginia
THOR #10093
Electrical diagram for 31Y

Just got a new Chateau 31Y. I want to install an inverter for the TVs and the kitchen outlet. It was not a factory option. I contacted customer service for the electrical diagram. I got told no, it would invalidate the warranty. I own this unit...is it not my right to get the diagram? If I install a mod, I know they can not honor the warranty, but they will not send me the diagram. Not happy.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Our Hurricane came with a CD with the Onan manuals on it. I was thinking that Thor could have easily done something similar... they seem to be trying - the Owners section of the website is a start (you can get manuals online for some of the parts and generic models) but it needs to be MUCH more comprehensive and easier to search and use.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #18

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluecheck View Post
Just got a new Chateau 31Y. I want to install an inverter for the TVs and the kitchen outlet. It was not a factory option. I contacted customer service for the electrical diagram. I got told no, it would invalidate the warranty. I own this unit...is it not my right to get the diagram? If I install a mod, I know they can not honor the warranty, but they will not send me the diagram. Not happy.
Guess I don't understand that, as they willingly sent me diagrams of the electrical and plumbing for mine. Of course they were as designed, not as built, so the reality of how my unit is wired and plumbed differs some from the diagrams.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Or Thor can keep doing what they do right now, which is let us figure it all out on our own.

Why would they spend another penny investing in compiling files and information to help us ? As long as they keep selling units (and we all figure it here collectively) what's in it for them?

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
Or Thor can keep doing what they do right now, which is let us figure it all out on our own.

Why would they spend another penny investing in compiling files and information to help us ? As long as they keep selling units (and we all figure it here collectively) what's in it for them?
Hmm they quite frequently send out the diagrams. All I had to do was call and ask (didn't say I was making any modifications just asked for the drawings and was sent them in an E-Mail a few hours later).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote