Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Master switch

Thor ACE 2019 32.1 has a "master switch" just inside the door on the left. I can't get a str8 answer out of dealer.

If the red light is lit, is it off or on? What all does it control? Mine stays lit most of the time.

I'm plugged in to shore power if that makes a difference.

THANX
jb

Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
First post and Welcome to the forum. One of the most confusing things Thor has done is put a light on your "Master switch", also know as the USE/STORE switch, Salesman switch and battery disconnect switch.

This was just recently hashed out in a previous thread but here's the scoop.

The switch simply disconnects your house batteries from the DC power buss.
If the DC power buss has 12 VDC from either shore power (or the generator) or from the house batteries (with the switch closed) the indicator light will be on.
So it really doesn't indicate the actual status of the switch.

Now, your switch should always be closed to connect the house batteries to the DC buss UNLESS you are storing the RV for a period of time without shore power connected. If the switch is open with shore power connected everything on the DC buss will work but the house batteries will not be charged.

Also realize that even with the switch open when the coach is in storage not all DC loads may be disconnected from the house batteries: the Inverter (if equipped) will still be connected as well as some safety monitors like Propane or CO.

Hope this helps.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Ted's got your question well-covered...
So I'll just welcome you to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
Welcome. I have the same 32.1 model but it's 2018. Turn off your AC input. If the light stays on you're in USE mode and if it goes out you're in STORAGE mode. I always verify the light is on prior to applying AC power (read TFryman up above for more detailed information) so I don't have to guess afterwards.

I highly recommend going to Thor's website and signing up for the Owners Resource link. You'll need your full VIN and you will have to register. You'll have access to information thats specific to your RV.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the confusing part of this 'newer' type of 12v disconnect switch is that the 'light' is not actually controlled by the switch itself - it is only an indicator that the 12v system has power, whether from the batteries themselves, or from the converter(because you are plugged into shore power, or you have the generator running).

I guess I see the value of the light being an easy indicator of 12v power - but it seems that you can easily 'know' if you have 12v power by simply turning on any light switch - if they Don't come on, you Don't have 12v power....

the light indicator may be more confusing than the factories realize...being in the same control as the switch makes one assume that the switch has something to do with it.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Well to add a bit more confusion on the switch

When the light is on you're in the chassis battery use mode same as noted earlier

However when I shut the switch off while plugging into shore power the batteries are disconnected

Some are apparently wired a bit differently

Definitely has to be on to charge or run the Inverter
Old 02-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
[QUOTE=lwmcguire;165358
Some are apparently wired a bit differently
Definitely has to be on to charge or run the Inverter[/QUOTE]
Generally there is a separate circuit from the house batteries to the inverter because it requires a much heavier cable (2 ga.)and circuit breaker (150 amp) than the fuse panel (6 ga. & 50 amp ). Also the cable to the jack's electric motor and the starter for the genset also bypasses the master power switch. Generally the latching relay (controlled by the master power switch) is next to power center (which houses the 120 volt circuit beakers and the 12 volt fuses for the coach). Turning the master power switch off removes the connection from the house batteries to the 12 volt fuses and converter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 35.2
THOR #7232
I’ve had my 2018 Miramar in storage for a while with 30 amp power available to keep house batteries charged. When I went to take it out the chassis battery was dead. I tried to use the emergency start switch but apparently the house batteries were dead also (brand new batteries). I jumped off the chassis battery with no problem. However, it appears the inverter isn’t working... The inverter switch inside the cabin wont light up, the generator won’t start, the jacks won’t go down and the in dash radio/navigation won’t come on. I’m hoping it’s a fuse I haven’t located yet... Any insight is appreciated.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimp123 View Post
I’ve had my 2018 Miramar in storage for a while with 30 amp power available to keep house batteries charged. When I went to take it out the chassis battery was dead. I tried to use the emergency start switch but apparently the house batteries were dead also (brand new batteries). I jumped off the chassis battery with no problem. However, it appears the inverter isn’t working... The inverter switch inside the cabin wont light up, the generator won’t start, the jacks won’t go down and the in dash radio/navigation won’t come on. I’m hoping it’s a fuse I haven’t located yet... Any insight is appreciated.
The 30amp “shore” power that you thought was available wasn’t actually functioning properly & charging your coach. So...
1) Use/Store switch was in Store mode, therefore batteries not charging & you had “parasitic drain”
2) Use/Store was in Use mode, however your assumed 30amp shore power was not actually bringing in 30amp power into your coach, and you had parasitic drain from your batteries that were not being charged

Those are the most common reasons for dead batteries
Old 03-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

THOR #7232
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
The 30amp “shore” power that you thought was available wasn’t actually functioning properly & charging your coach. So...
1) Use/Store switch was in Store mode, therefore batteries not charging & you had “parasitic drain”
2) Use/Store was in Use mode, however your assumed 30amp shore power was not actually bringing in 30amp power into your coach, and you had parasitic drain from your batteries that were not being charged

Those are the most common reasons for dead batteries
So, if I charge the house batteries everything should work again?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #11

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimp123 View Post
So, if I charge the house batteries everything should work again?
Yes
In theory
Just make sure that the use/Store switch is in use mode
And then make sure that you indeed have 110 volts & the charger is actually charging the coach.
Then monitor for a day or two

If that doesn’t work??? Well, you’ve got other issues to begin to diagnose
Old 03-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #12

THOR #4735
simply view the 'master' switch this way:

it's two separate and individual ideas...

- the LIGHT is simply a quick VISUAL indicator, when you step in the coach, to say that you have 12v power available to use in the coach
- if you have the switch in the up 'USE' position, it will be ON, providing the coach with 12v power from your House batteries
- if the coach is plugged into power, or the generator is running, the same applies, since now the Converter is providing 12v power

- the SWITCH, though, the same switch the rest of us have, is to tell the coach that you either want to USE 12v power in the coach, by the up 'USE' position...
- or that you no longer want any 12v power to the coach, the down 'STORE/OFF' position. The down 'STORE' position stops any 12v power, even to the battery charger, and even if you are still 'plugged in', since the batteries are now essentially disconnected.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #13

THOR #4735
now, do I think this 'new' type of master switch is 'better' than the standard on/off switch most of the rest of us have? The jury is still out on that. I might would like it if I had it, but it can be a little confusing if you don't really have a good grasp on what it really 'means', especially if you think you are plugged in and charging the batteries, when in reality the switch was actually switched off - but the switch is not typically a 'static' two way switch, where you could easily tell - it's a 'momentary' switch, which comes back to the 'middle' and therefore you don't really 'know' if it is On or Off..... but, maybe that's why the factories thought they were doing a good job providing newer RVrs a more 'enlightning' LIGHT! If, though, you understand what the light is really telling you!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #14

THOR #7232
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Yes
In theory
Just make sure that the use/Store switch is in use mode
And then make sure that you indeed have 110 volts & the charger is actually charging the coach.
Then monitor for a day or two

If that doesn’t work??? Well, you’ve got other issues to begin to diagnose
Makes sense! Thanks!
Old 03-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
simply view the 'master' switch this way:

it's two separate and individual ideas...

- the LIGHT is simply a quick VISUAL indicator, when you step in the coach, to say that you have 12v power available to use in the coach
- if you have the switch in the up 'USE' position, it will be ON, providing the coach with 12v power from your House batteries
- if the coach is plugged into power, or the generator is running, the same applies, since now the Converter is providing 12v power

- the SWITCH, though, the same switch the rest of us have, is to tell the coach that you either want to USE 12v power in the coach, by the up 'USE' position...
- or that you no longer want any 12v power to the coach, the down 'STORE/OFF' position. The down 'STORE' position stops any 12v power, even to the battery charger, and even if you are still 'plugged in', since the batteries are now essentially disconnected.
But not FROM the converter which will still supply DC power to the DC Buss if plugged in.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:12 PM   #16

THOR #4735
true, which evens adds to the confusion as the Converter would, yes, be receiving 120v power from Shore or Generator, and providing 12v output to the coach's 12v lights and appliances, but yet the Charger would not be recharging the House batteries because they would now be disconnected from the system.

fun, aint' it!??!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #17

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
I've always just called it a battery disconnect switch, when you push disconnect...well, it's just disconnected...sometimes I forget to turn it on,..batterys won't charge going down the road..
Old 03-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #18

THOR #4735
true, and that's exactly what it does - simply speaking.

the confusion is when other things are in play, such as external 120v power from shore or generator... as this then still powers the Converter, giving the 'look' as though the battery are still connected and providing 12v output, when they are not. An owner can think that everything is A o.k., until they find that their house batteries are going lower and lower and not being charged, a great confusion to any new owner.

The 'light' can even add more confusion, a new owner might think that this is a meaning that everything is A o.k., just as they thought, when is actually only means that the 12v power is available in the coach - not giving an indication, though, that the batteries are not receiving a charge.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #19

THOR #14989
Master Switch

The Master Battery Disconnect switch was on before I unplugged the coach.
I unplugged my coach from it's designated 50 amp shore line. I entered the coach to turn on the Master Battery Disconnect switch (the light will glow red in the switch when it is on). I need it on to run the back up camera. The switch will not show red (on).
It has been working. What could be the problem.
Thank you!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsport_29_M View Post
The Master Battery Disconnect switch was on before I unplugged the coach.
I unplugged my coach from it's designated 50 amp shore line. I entered the coach to turn on the Master Battery Disconnect switch (the light will glow red in the switch when it is on). I need it on to run the back up camera. The switch will not show red (on).
It has been working. What could be the problem.
Thank you!
1 - Read post #2 about the switch and light functions.
2 - In this case, either your house batteries are dead (because your switch wasn't in the "On" or "USE" position, so they weren't being charged; or
The DC breaker that connects your house batteries to the USE/STORE relay has tripped.

A voltmeter will verify your battery status easily.