Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Modification to 2016 Vegas "Infotainment Center"

Update on Techno “MOD” to Vegas RV’s “Infotainment Center”:

The items listed below were used so as to set up a Wi-Fi connected system in the RV:
- Item #1 is a Blue Ray Player for the bedroom TV. I just could not figure how to run wires back there.
- Item #3 is a fanless solid state Computer (about the size of a thick “BLT on toast”). It does not produce heat as there are no moving parts.
- Item #2 is the wireless keyboard for the Computer.
- Item #6 is a Blue Ray Drive attached to the Computer; it can also be used to run programs on the Computer or play DVD’s. So far, no overheating problems in the over the sink cabinet where the system is set up.
- Item #4 is an HDMI splitter used to send the Computer program/video/movies to either the outside or inside (front room) TV’s.
- Item #5 is the cables needed to do the work (really only needed three).

Originally I had planned on pulling the Radio (Axxera) out and connecting to the Radio’s DVD player thru the RCA plugs on the back. But my son (who did most of the techno stuff) pointed out that via RCA you can just get standard 480 (possibly enhanced to 720) but not the hi-def 1080 resolution available thru the HDMI. Since the TV requires 110 volt (not 12 volt) I need the 110 for the TV’s so…may as well run the Videos thru the Computer and get hi-def.

What is not listed is a $35.00 Chromecast for the back TV, with that one can work on the computer and have it projected (“cast”) to the back TV via the wireless Chromecast. I have installed the Chromecast program on the RV’s Computer, my Windows Phone and my wife’s iPad.

Presently we use the AT&T Data plan on my wife’s iPad for Internet connection when a Wi-Fi connection is not available (kind of grinds thru the Data Plan). We are working on establishing a wireless Intranet/Internet Router…once the part (and price) become available. When that is accomplished we should be able to use the Intranet while on the move to access all the internal components and then hook up to the free Wi-Fi at a campsite or tap into the Data Plan if access to the internet is really needed.

I also dumped over 2000 songs onto a mini thumb drive and use that in the Axxera’s front USB Port. I received the remote control for the Radio last week so now all our favorite tunes are available thru the Axxera. Kind of sounds crummy coming from just two speakers, so my next “MOD” will be to get a couple more speakers out of the Axxera. I remember seeing someone else did a speaker modification already…time to review older forum listings.

If you have the Axxera Radio, there is a strange looking receptacle under the 12 volt access. It has an HDMI and an USB Port. If you plug in your phone, iPad, and (maybe) computer to the HDMI port, Press Mode on the radio and choose MHL you will mirror whatever you have on your phone onto the Axxera’s screen…good for Navigation. I am pretty sure the USB Port is only a charging Port, but I have not messed with it enough to be sure.

Items Ordered and Price
1. Samsung BDF5100Bluray
Disc Player (2013 Model)……………....................................... .........................................$ 66.28
2. Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard k400 with Builtin
MultiTouch Touchpad, White…………………………………………………………………....$ 30.99
3. Quantum Byte Fanless Windows® Mini Desktop PC with Windows 8.1, Intel
BaytrailT (Quadcore) Z3735F up to 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM+32GB storage……………..$169.99
4. JTech Digital JTDMINI1x2SP 2 Port 1X2 Powered Hdmi Super Mini
Splitter for Full Hd 1080P with 3D Capability……………………..…………………………$ 20.99
5. 2 sets Aurum High Speed HDMI Cable (10 Ft) 2 Pack with Ethernet Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest Version] 10 Feet ($8.69ea set)…………………………….…..$ 17.38
6. SAMSUNG TSST SE506CB/RSWD 6X USB 2.0 Slim Bluray
Writer External Drive (White), MDisc support……………………………………………….$ 79.95

Item(s) Subtotal : $385.58
Shipping & Handling : $ 29.93
Total
before tax : $415.51
Estimated tax to be collected: $ 2.36
Grand Total : $417.87

I have no connection to any of the companies above, these are just the best prices I could find at the time..That’s it for now.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Interesting setup: A complete WiFi entertainment system going down the road.

So you use the iPad as a hotspot and sync everything to that WiFi (including the PC). You could use the iPad's internet via bluetooth to the PC and let the PC provide the WiFi hotspot. You'd still have to switch the PC to the campground's WiFi.

As far as the Chromecast: I've had one on our TV for quite a while now. I haven't found a campground WiFi it can sync to yet--they all require a browser interface that the Chromecast can't provide. If the camper provides its own hotspot then the chromecast can sync to that but then you'd have to have something else providing internet for the camper... (Most instructions I've seen for the chromecast involve using both a tablet and a phone--setup a hotspot on one and then run the chromecast app on the other to configure it to the hotspot.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:30 AM   #3

THOR #2142
Jamie,

We used the mini iPad for the hotspot Wi-Fi because we get a longer use per battery charge than either of our two phones. Any of the three grind up the DATA when used as the hotspot. Also, having it on the iPad allows for just battery use when the Wi-Fi is on and just the phones and my old laptop is riding shotgun in the front seat.

Thanks for the info on the Chromecast, that will probably save me some stomach lining when we get to a campsite with Wi-Fi.

Presently we are searching for a (resonably priced) router that will handle our little "Intranet" as we are traveling down the road with or without hotspot Wi-Fi. But when we get to a campsite offering Wi-Fi it will advise us of the option and then connect our router to the Wi-Fi and the Internet.

As the TV's die out I will try to replace them with 110v/12v optioned and Smart TV's, that way I can use the wireless "Project Screen" app on my Windows Phone (have not figured how to do it with out a USB cable right now).

But heck, when RV'ing Mother Nature is center stage!

Take care and thanks again.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
DocMike -

Your solid-state fanless PC will produce heat! The laws of thermodynamics demand it.

I haven't seen one, but I suspect you'll want to provide for clear airspace around it in which to dissipate that heat, even if there is no fan.

Cool system though. Been thinking about how to accomplish the same thing.

Randy
Old 07-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

THOR #2142
Randy,

True, but minimal even when compared to the Blue-ray hard drive/player it is connected to. I let them run from 3pm to 11pm during one of our NC 100 Degree days. The Blue-ray was warm to touch, much less for the Computer. There is an unused USB port that we are looking to put in a cooling fan that will come on when the Computer is turned on. It will be vented out the side of the cabinet just above the control box. I'll hide the opening with a speaker cover.