Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2019, 09:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24 WS Fourwinds
State: Washington
THOR #13568
MUST Thor be completely level during storage?

We have a 24' 2018 Thor FourWinds motorhome on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. We have heard that we MUST keep it level in order for the refrigerator not to fail long term. Our driveway where it is parked when we aren't on the road is not completely level, but also not THAT unlevel. It will be sitting now for about 2-3 months without moving until we use it again. Should we be putting it up on our leveling blocks in order to keep refrigerator best (refrigerator is off now also), or is it okay to just park it in our driveway without levelling it?

On a related note.....is it okay to have our tires up on levelling blocks for 2-3 months without damage to tires?

Thanks for any advice you can give us!

Old 12-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
..." Our driveway where it is parked when we aren't on the road is not completely level, but also not THAT unlevel"...

How much "unlevel" is it? A little is fine but your description is wide open. Are you gonna leave fridge running? Will you be using it periodically at home? If it's just gonna sit there disconnected and sleeping, it doesn't matter. Snap a couple pics and post them, if you can.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
As to tires on blocks it doesn't matter if it's blocks or the driveway you will more than likely have so flat spots on the tires after a couple months of sitting. The flat spots will go away as the coach is once again driven and they tires get up to operating temperature.

If at all possible it would be best if you took the coach for a 5 or 10 mile drive once a month to keep seals lubricated, batteries charged and other items functioning.

As to the fridge if it is on turned on with the coolant circulating it doesn't matter how level you have the coach. If the fridge will be running follow the fridge manufacturers instructions as to level. Also, I'd check the fridge manual and see what it says about storage.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
As long as it's not so off-level that it tops over onto you : you'll be fine
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don’t have my fridge turned until we are getting ready to go camping (usually turn it on the night before we load up) and I prefer to store a bit nose or tail down to help rain and melting snow to run off quickly. When it’s running the refrigerator can be off level to the coaches side to side (fridge’s back to front) without a problem but it needs to be “reasonably” level front to back. I’ve heard it said that as long as it’s level enough for you to be comfortable the refrigerator will be fine. That seems to be pretty subjective to me so I try to be within a couple of degrees.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
For a "Swamp Cooler" to be happy: I've seen it quoted in here, that it should be within three degrees of level...

"Close enough for Rock 'n Roll"...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:01 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We store in a fairly level, but not completely so spot. We are low in the back and driver’s side. Don’t level the coach, but we leave the refrigerator off when we aren’t using the coach. A couple times a winter I’ll exercise the levelers and then runs the slides in and out. So far no problems when resurrecting the coach in the spring.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

Model: 24 WS Fourwinds
State: Washington
THOR #13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
..." Our driveway where it is parked when we aren't on the road is not completely level, but also not THAT unlevel"...

How much "unlevel" is it? A little is fine but your description is wide open. Are you gonna leave fridge running? Will you be using it periodically at home? If it's just gonna sit there disconnected and sleeping, it doesn't matter. Snap a couple pics and post them, if you can.
Thanks! This helps a lot in understanding what we need to do. We will be leaving it disconnected and sleeping
Old 01-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #9

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
The only reason to keep the refrigerator level is when it’s in operation. And then a few degree off level (6-8 degrees) won’t hurt it. The chemical in the unit has trouble transferring from one chamber to the other if too much off level. This will hurt the efficiency of it when operating. Turned off it doesn’t matter unless it’s turned upside down or something. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I agree that being out of level is not an issue if the fridge is off. When running fridge best to be within a few degrees of level. I see no reason for your tires to care if they agree on levelers or the ground.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
Level for refrigerator operation

The question was how level does the RV need to be for operation of the refrigerator. We are talking about absorption refrigerator, not residential. The best site to help you understand absorption refrigerators is arprv.com. This company makes a device that protects your refrigerator from damage if you are too far off level. They have good graphics showing the chemical process.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:14 AM   #12

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I have had two RV refrigerators fail under warranty and the second one the service guy asked my if I store it out of level, there is nothing in my owners manual about the subject for storage as far as level, the owners manual does say you can operate out of level 3 inches side to side and 6 inches front to back as you are looking at the front of the refrigerator, I have made a set of ramps out of 3/4 plywood and some 2X6s, then I run my levelers down to get it as close to level as possible, Tire manufactures suggest you store your coach with the tires on rubber, plastic or wood, the heat transfer from hot concrete or hot asphalt will affect the tire, I was in a tire store in Yuma a few years back and they had a big sign up suggesting you replace your tires every 3 years regardless of tire wear if you live in the desert area of Arizona
Old 01-02-2020, 12:35 AM   #13

Model: AXIS 24.1
THOR #5911
Send a message via AIM to JAE Darbo
It matters greatly if the fridge is over 3degs off level; can damage/disable system and cause a fire hazard.

ABSOLUTELY read and head frig manual specs.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:36 AM   #14

Model: AXIS 24.1
THOR #5911
Send a message via AIM to JAE Darbo
It matters greatly if the fridge is over 3degs off level; can damage/disable system and cause a fire hazard.

ABSOLUTELY read and head frig manual specs.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:57 AM   #15

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
Leveling for Refrigerator

From our NORCOLD Manual on leveling.
Perhaps useful on the leveling for fridge operation subject ... for NORCOLD N61X and N81X.
Essentially 3 Degrees side to side and
6 degrees front to back (as looking at the door)
Just and example.
(Doesn't apply when not turned on, driving or a short stop)
Hope it's useful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NORCOLD Owners Manual on Leveling - an Example.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	22023  
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:05 AM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
I have had two RV refrigerators fail under warranty and the second one the service guy asked my if I store it out of level, there is nothing in my owners manual about the subject for storage as far as level, the owners manual does say you can operate out of level 3 inches side to side and 6 inches front to back as you are looking at the front of the refrigerator, I have made a set of ramps out of 3/4 plywood and some 2X6s, then I run my levelers down to get it as close to level as possible, Tire manufactures suggest you store your coach with the tires on rubber, plastic or wood, the heat transfer from hot concrete or hot asphalt will affect the tire, I was in a tire store in Yuma a few years back and they had a big sign up suggesting you replace your tires every 3 years regardless of tire wear if you live in the desert area of Arizona
Degrees; not inches.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #17
Cwp

THOR #17639
Fridge on level

Whilst storing over winter it need not be totally level but after winter when you bring out of storage level the rig and allow 24 hours to pass by before turning on the fridge.

This allows the refrigerant internal gas and compressor oil to settle internally before being stirred up by the compressor.

If the rig is in warranty, double check with the dealer as they will be sorting the warranty out. If out of warranty then the above is considered correct practice. If in doubt consult the refrigerators manual. Hopes thats useful.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwp View Post
Whilst storing over winter it need not be totally level but after winter when you bring out of storage level the rig and allow 24 hours to pass by before turning on the fridge.

This allows the refrigerant internal gas and compressor oil to settle internally before being stirred up by the compressor.

If the rig is in warranty, double check with the dealer as they will be sorting the warranty out. If out of warranty then the above is considered correct practice. If in doubt consult the refrigerators manual. Hopes thats useful.
Compressor oil? We're talking about absorption fridges here.

Residential fridges have nowhere near the leveling requirements of absorption fridges.

And you 24 hour rule for residential fridges only applies if the fridge had been on its side, so I don't think that would be necessary in any NORMAL RV storage situation.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #19

THOR #7440
I stand corrected, after reading JAE Darbo post I got on line an down loaded a pdf file on my refrigerator, It also shows the out of level as 3 degrees and 5 degrees and not 3" and 6 " as my owners manual shows, my owners manual is not in a regular booklet form but just a bunch of pages from a copy machine stapled together, some pages are in Spanish, thank you for pointing that out.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:43 PM   #20

THOR #7440
I contacted NORCOLD on this subject and this was their reply " It is important to keep the fridge level, wile in storage and wile in use. Reason being the ammonia solution can run to one side if the RV isn't level. If this happens then the fridge won't cool. Having it stored off level it can delay the unit in cooling when its started up. Anytime they are not level, get the RV level and wait 24 hours before running the fridge"

James
Customer service
Thetford Corp/Norclold Inc
(800) 543-1219 option 1