Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
ACE 29.4 fresh water drain - design flaw

I bought my ACE 29.4 in early August. The dealer filled the fresh water tank and during the PDI told me where to fill it, where to connect the city/park water but not how to drain the tank. And of course I was so excited about picking up the MH I didn't think to ask. I don't use much fresh water - only on trips for the toilet and sinks. I hook up to park water.
OK, so after about 4-5 weeks I decided to drain the tank and refill it with about a half tank. Didn't like carrying around all that weight anyway! I couldn't find the drain from the tank to the outside. Then, in early November the weather man is talking about some cold weather coming and that it would be here for a week. I had an appt. scheduled to have the coach winterized (first time) so I drained the fresh water tank into the grey water tank and dumped that. Got as much out as I could, including the water heater.

When I took it in for the winterization I reported the AC side of the water heater not working. That's a warranty issue and the Camping World I took it to couldn't fix it. I had to take it back to the dealer. However, they kindly showed me where the fresh water drain was.......behind a panel in the bedroom, below the drawers which are below the closet. The drain valve is on the "INSIDE" of the coach and not easily accessible without removing the panel and pretty much climbing into the location it was placed. I consider that a design flaw. Why on earth would you put the drain valve on the inside -and behind a cabinet instead of routing it to make it easily accessible from the outside like most other fresh water valves.

I haven't had the warranty work or weatherization done yet - that's scheduled for 12/19. If anyone has any ideas on how to make the valve accessible from the outside I'd certainly appreciate it. THOR says it's not a warranty issue - that's the way it was made and offers no further explanation - but they sent my email to the people who design these things.

I can't believe I'm the only one who's had the fresh water drain valve issue. Maybe I got the only one that wasn't routed correctly?
Sorry for the rambling........needless to say I'm a bit PO'd.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Its that way on pretty much all the Axis and Vegas units.
Our tank drain is right next to the tank and you can only get to it if you remove the panel below the passenger side bed.
Right next to the tank valve is the two low-point drain valves and the port to connect antifreeze for winterization.

In addition, it takes a good 4 or so hours to drain an Axis/Vegas water tank via the drain valve.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
I think it is pretty common to place the water tank drain near the water tank. My ACE 27.1 does this, and my 1991 Holiday Rambler did this. This design element allows for complete emptying of the tank reducing frictional losses. It's not a design flaw just something you don't like. You could easily add a sprinkler electrical valve in line and just push a button. Whder if there are any 12v activators. Heck do it to all of them. Then wire them all together and just push a button. I like that since we camp all months of the year and do drain during the winter months.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

THOR #2824
Thanks Grump - I understand the "location" point - but you have to almost take the inside of one bedroom wall apart to get to it! I started looking on my own yesterday before it goes in for winterization on the 19th. Thought maybe I could buy the parts and while the tech was in there to winterize, they could install it (probably for a nominal fee). The bedroom has 3 panels on the closet side. One panel allows access to the water tank. The middle panel does not come off - it's part of the third panel and it's all one piece. Problem is, there's a wooden panel covering the third panel - it comes off to allow but only allows access to an electrical plug of some kind that looks like it's in backwards. There's a volley ball sized hole in that panel allowing access to the plug. The water pump and drain valves are on the floor behind that - and that panel doesn't come off. (or out) If you remove the middle of the three drawers, you can see the water pump and drain valves, but you can't access them. Why wouldn't Thor provide the ability to drain the tank from the outside - thru the drain hole already there - where the termination valve for the fresh water tank is? You're right - I don't like it - but to cover up something that many people would probably access if they drain their fresh water tank, even once a year, to me, is a design flaw. If I can figure out how to get pictures posted here..........but I appreciate your response
Old 12-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #5

THOR #3186
For mine you pop out the fresh water tank/closet panel and reach down to the valve it's far to the right. You could easily add a valve to the Pex drain pipe on the outside. Then just keep the water drain valve open. Inline valve simple simple. Or put a T in with a 12v water valve, not as simple but still pretty easy. You could put an access hole in, pretty simple, cover it to prevent drafts.

Come to think of it my drain line for the tank is a separate line with the drain valve. If I went electric I would want a valve that I could open and close not one that is normally open or normally closed. Bet they are our there. I keep my drain valve open during winter months when not in use. I'm goin to look for one and I'll post it if I find it.

My '91 had its valve under the lift up bed. Had to let the bed, ugh.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #6

THOR #3186
Regular sprinkler valves require pressure to operate. What would be needed USA 12v actuator open/close ball valve. Adding a second valve outside and keeping the inside valve open seems to be the simplest solution.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #7

THOR #2824
Thanks again Grump - My appt for winterization and a couple of other warranty issues is still scheduled for the 19th of Dec. They'll have the coach at least a week because I don't have a ride to go get it until a Saturday. I've talked to the Service Tech several times and he has "assured" me that they'll come up with something. I can't wait to see the look on the guys face when he figures where the drain valve and low points are - behind a panel that doesn't come off.......I really appreciate your input!
Old 12-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Even though the fresh water tank drain is under the panel under the passenger side mattress in the Vegas -- it is pretty easy to reach. It's not behind drawers and in a place you have to stand on your head to reach. But as JamieGeek pointed out -- you'll probably celebrate 2 birthdays waiting for it to drain.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #9

THOR #2824
But what's the rush, right?