Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
If I understood correctly, the size difference only left room for one row (too deep)?
"TWO DEEP"? So 2 batteries or 4 total? Are your current battieries "Group 27". Not sure but the 6v might all be "group 27" or larger? So they might be to big to be a direct replacement. But you can always replace with 12v AGM's.

Search on line for AGM's in the group size you have and see if they will fit in place of your current ones. They will have all of the size dimension so you can compare to your current battery size.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
BLW2, Yes, lots of info and opinions on battery brands, Flood vs AGM, 40% vs 50% discharge etc. We can go on forever.

Best thing to do is do your research and find the best deal that you can at the price you can afford. I really thing AGM's is the way to go but they are pricey.... Plus he needs to figure out if his RV has some paracitic draws before purchasing a new set.

All I know is my AGM 6v will take a beating..... I have used mine for over 6 mo and they are awesome. But I alway "Try" to follow the 50% discharge rule. They blow away the OEM 12v. But then again any new aftermarket battery is better than the old OEM's.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Diemaster, I have a FourWinds 31Y with the same battery tray that you would have. I have 3 12 volt group 27 batteries in the tray. The original two batteries as well as an additional which I purchased at Home Depot in CA last March. The original batteries were Excide thus the match with the one purchased. They are 100AH batteries. It is a very tight fit getting the 3 batteries into the tray. You only have access to one full side of the front of the tray, thus you have to place a battery in, attach the cables, then move the battery to the back of the tray out of sight. You also have to ensure that you do not ground the other end of the attached cables. I also had to put the second battery in move it to the back then put the 3rd in move it over, then move the 2nd from the back to front. Thus it is a real pain in the ass procedure. Thus maintenance for them forced me to buy a watering system for the batteries. The tray is welded well to the frame. It is low point on the RV. In fact the battery holding straps were sheared while entering an incline.

The 3rd battery was manufactured within a year of the other batteries, and all 3 batteries are working together fine and appear to share loads equally. My unit was put together in February and I purchased it in July, thus probably, no battery abuse for the original two batteries.

I have 560 watts of solar charging the batteries, and do quite a bit of boon docking. I try to never go below 70% SOC. This is never really a problem for me, even with watching TV all evening and making two cups of coffee in the morning, |I am then at around 85%. The WFCO converter in our units only put out about 15 amps when charging. Thus, running the generator to charge the batteries would take some excessive run time. If you are going to use the generator to replenish it would be wise to go with a separate battery charger, or replace the charger in the converter. I normally only run my generator in order to cook something either Microwave/Convection/Induction, or with a good 2 hour maintenance mode in mind...those long cloudy periods of time.

My chassis battery was also run down at one time. I run a generic Blue tooth OBD reader, thus it ran it down.

So bottom line for me was 1 additional flooded battery for around $140 and battery watering system for another 125. Sure the AGMS have benefits, but that also comes with cost, but then doesn't everything for a RV involve costs?