Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
New Engines And More -- RV Related

There has been a lot of exciting news recently regarding new engines, transmissions, and electrical systems that will affect RVing to some degree. It could be fun to discuss some of these developments here.

Ford F-150 will soon have 3.0 liter V6 diesel option rated at 250 HP and 440 lb-ft of torque. Both of these, and also tow rating, appear higher than RAM 1/2-Ton diesel pickup's; also a 3.0L V6. The Ford will come with a 10-speed transmission.

Chevy Silverado will also enter 1/2-Ton diesel market, but with a 3-liter inline-six. Chevy claims it will lead in power and torque, so greater than Ford F-150? A small-displacement I-6 is great news.

RAM 1/2-Ton 1500 gasser will soon have 48-Volt eTorque assist. Reportedly the mild hybrid will be standard on V6 and optional on V8s. I'm glad to see 48-Volt system coming to US courtesy of Fiat Chrysler Automotive. As I've mentioned before, I think it's inevitable that 48-Volt systems will become the norm for RVs. This is a great first step in that direction.

The previously-discussed Ford V10 replacement with a more powerful and fuel efficient V8 looks like it may be 7.3 liters in size. There is no confirmation on displacement but makes some sense that it's greater than 7 liters (as initially reported) since the program was 7.x L V8.

Mercedes will introduce a new Sprinter soon in Europe (next month), to follow production in US factory for North America later. Reports claim it will have both gas and Diesel engine options. Since Mercedes has brand new 3-liter inline-sixes in both gas and diesel, and with 48-Volt mild hybrid systems, chances are good that future Sprinters will have straight sixes also.

Please share any thoughts or additional information you may have run across. From a drivetrain standpoint, there are presently more major changes on the horizon than I recall in decades.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I bet the Silverado and the F-150 will have the same 10 speed transmission: Ford and GM had a little bit of a cooperative agreement there for a while to share the development costs for that 10 speed transmission.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I bet the Silverado and the F-150 will have the same 10 speed transmission: .....cut......
I think you're probably correct. I saw a video of the Silverado's 3.0 inline-6 diesel engine and transmission and the transmission appeared as long or longer than the engine -- it's very large. I'm not sure how much 10 can do versus 6, but apparently buyers are expecting more gears.

The Ford 3.0 V6 diesel is certainly more powerful than the larger 3.2 inline-5 diesel used in Transit motorhomes (has higher GCWR), so if it finds its way to motorhomes it may be able to power an RV as large as an Axis/Vegas or small Class C; much like Mercedes Sprinter V6 diesel powers Reyo Class A, except with more power and torque than Mercedes.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The one constant is all of our lives; is change!

It'll be interesting to see how these developments impact what we'll soon be buying.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Mercedes revealed their new Sprinter today in Europe, and a couple of interesting things came out.

Their commitment to RVs was obvious, mentioning how much that market has grown for them over the years. For the US market it looks like the upgrade from 5.0 to 5.5 tonnes GVWR could make a difference. That's roughly from 11,000 to 12,100 pounds, which is quite a bit higher than comparable Ford Transits.

In their presentation they also mentioned the new Front Wheel Drive option (not expected in US), which is well suited for van and camper conversions. It's interesting that in some configurations the FWD option is rated at up to 5.5 tonnes (12,100 pounds). The FWD version will come with 6-speed manual or 9-speed automatic transmission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6102.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	8909  
Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #6

THOR #2121
This shows available chassis ratings, although not all are expected to come to US.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6113.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	8910