Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2022, 07:30 PM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Follow-up on topic of new Ford 6.8L V8

Original comments from union leader a couple of years ago that new 6.8L engine was for Mustang and F-150 derivatives were not accurate; at least for now. The new engine is initially going into Super Duty pickups as a base engine under the optional Godzilla 7.3L V8.

The new engine is essentially a 7.3L Godzilla with reduced stroke length, and slightly higher compression ratio.

Given that it is “heavy-duty-rated” enough for Super Duty pickups, I would not be surprised if it also finds its way into E-Series Cutaway within a year or two as a way to “slightly” improve fuel economy. Ford presently offers 7.3L Godzilla in “Economy” tune as an option on E-Series, but I am not aware of any RV manufacturer that specs that engine (assuming it is even available in MH package).

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...ifications.pdf

Old 11-08-2022, 04:07 AM   #62

State: Alaska
THOR #13281
Rich

Well, they do have a V-8 replacement for the V-10.
They did tweak the V-10 somewhere around or before 2018.
It makes less horsepower but its peak torque occurs much sooner
which is a big improvement. In fact, the HP and torque specs are almost
identical to the old 8.1 V-8 Chevy. I had a Moho with the 8.1 and I'm on my
second with a V-10 and the 6 speed auto with the uprated engine. My last V-
10 was a 5 speed and a much heavier chassis which drove like a beached
whale. the new one is a 2018 Ace 29.1 which rolls along nicely.
Old 11-08-2022, 01:24 PM   #63

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioradio View Post
Well, they do have a V-8 replacement for the V-10. ......cut......
Exactly. The 7.3L Godzilla V8 had already replaced V10 about two years ago so the “new” 6.8L V8 (destroked Godzilla) has nothing to do with V10 (other than both being 6.8L).

From a technical standpoint the 6.8L V8 makes very little sense to me for truck use because it won’t do much that the 7.3L V8 doesn’t already accomplish. However, from financial standpoint, the new 6.8L V8 makes more sense because it replaces the 6.2L SOHC V8 in Super Duty pickups, and that engine is more expensive to build than the pushrod 6.8L V8. It additionally allowed Ford to close an underutilized engine plant which saves them even more.

By essentially offering the same engine with different crank and rods as standard, they can charge more for the optional 7.3L Godzilla in Super Duties. Funny thing is it probably costs Ford more to build two different sizes of same engine versus just giving everyone the larger 7.3L.