RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2019, 11:49 PM   #141
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 18,494
THOR #8860
We can't wait to hear your "Report From The Saddle!"
__________________

__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:55 AM   #142
Junior Member
 
Brand: Airstream
Model: Inernational CCD 28'
State: California
Posts: 6
THOR #17665
Thor Tellaro 20 LT

Those concerned about window placement in the 20lt should call: Mitchell Johnson, Pd Manager B Van, 574-389-5368, he has the info
__________________

__________________
Darrell Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #143
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
Posts: 13
THOR #17791
Does anyone know where the second alternator is located for the Mastervolt Lithium option?

We have a friend who has a Promaster based Roadtrek with no genset and the second alternator is located very low at the front of the vehicle, just behind the bumper on the passenger side. Kind of like an Aztec sacrifice strapped to the front of the vehicle. Totally unprotected.
__________________
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #144
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,952
THOR #2121
All the ones Iíve seen had second alternator very low on passenger side. I would guess (not sure though) that they use the same kit (havenít looked that closely). Being a FWD van, the front of the engine limits it to passenger side, and behind the engine down low there is no room. So unless someone comes up with a way to mount it up high, itís likely the same 280-Amp alternator kit (or its equivalent).

Longer-term itíd be great if RAM offers a second OEM alternator option like Ford started to do for Transit and E-Series. Iíd expect a better design and much much lower cost. Or RAM could add the more powerful 48V alternator (motor/generator) as part of mild hybrid option, except with provisions to charge house batteries much faster. I think RAM calls their mild hybrid system eTorque.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:19 AM   #145
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
Posts: 13
THOR #17791
Thanks! I see that Nations Stsrter and Alternator has a retrofit package but it looks to be low and forward as well.

I think I’ll pass on the lithium option for now. I don’t actually have a use case for it here in CO where even in the summer the evenings are cool.

Tom
__________________
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:10 AM   #146
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22E
State: New York
Posts: 222
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
All the ones Iíve seen had second alternator very low on passenger side. I would guess (not sure though) that they use the same kit (havenít looked that closely). Being a FWD van, the front of the engine limits it to passenger side, and behind the engine down low there is no room. So unless someone comes up with a way to mount it up high, itís likely the same 280-Amp alternator kit (or its equivalent).

Longer-term itíd be great if RAM offers a second OEM alternator option like Ford started to do for Transit and E-Series. Iíd expect a better design and much much lower cost. Or RAM could add the more powerful 48V alternator (motor/generator) as part of mild hybrid option, except with provisions to charge house batteries much faster. I think RAM calls their mild hybrid system eTorque.
Has Ford talked about using an electric driven AC compressor for the transit or E-Series van. Is this something that can be done?
This would allow placement of the second alternator in a different location.

On smaller Class C motorhomes and class b vans the dash air conditioning should be enough to keep them cool.

ex. My coach is 24' (Four Winds 22E), today was 91 degrees inside, and the dash ac lowered the the inside temperature to 85.5 degrees in 20 minutes.

A coach with fully electric dash air conditioning would possibly get better gas mileage by removing the engine driven compressor and eliminating the rooftop ac.
The dash ac is also much quieter then the rooftop ac
__________________
bry899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #147
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,952
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Has Ford talked about using an electric driven AC compressor for the transit or E-Series van. Is this something that can be done?
This would allow placement of the second alternator in a different location.

On smaller Class C motorhomes and class b vans the dash air conditioning should be enough to keep them cool.

ex. My coach is 24' (Four Winds 22E), today was 91 degrees inside, and the dash ac lowered the the inside temperature to 85.5 degrees in 20 minutes.

A coach with fully electric dash air conditioning would possibly get better gas mileage by removing the engine driven compressor and eliminating the rooftop ac.
The dash ac is also much quieter then the rooftop ac

Yes, electric air conditioning is not only possible, itís done all the time on electric vehicles and many hybrids. If you look at the upcoming hybrid F-150 specifications, Ford mentions high voltage electric air conditioner compressor so it can cool when engine is not running.

Regarding a second alternator, Ford already started offering dual alternators as an option in E-Series with the new 7.3L V8, and also in Transit vans with optional EcoBoost 3.5L V6. In these two examples they keep the standard belt-driven A/C compressor.

Longer term, I have little doubt that to electrify van and or motorhome chassis to serve for RV applications more effectively, that the electrical system (alternator) must be upgraded to at least 48-Volts in order to better power air conditioners, microwaves, etc. Itís all moving in that direction but not fast enough for my taste. Many companies are holding on to 12-Volt systems because itís presently more common and cheaper, but 48V is slowly being adopted.

I recently read that the common aftermarket second alternator supplier plans to release a 48V alternator kit. Between that and 48V (nominal) batteries, we should see faster adoption of 48V in lieu of 12V.

.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17D3A320-BD58-46C7-93A7-A0565F8CABBD.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	25249  
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #148
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,242
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Yes, electric air conditioning is not only possible, itís done all the time on electric vehicles and many hybrids. If you look at the upcoming hybrid F-150 specifications, Ford mentions high voltage electric air conditioner compressor so it can cool when engine is not running.

Regarding a second alternator, Ford already started offering dual alternators as an option in E-Series with the new 7.3L V8, and also in Transit vans with optional EcoBoost 3.5L V6. In these two examples they keep the standard belt-driven A/C compressor.

Longer term, I have little doubt that to electrify van and or motorhome chassis to serve for RV applications more effectively, that the electrical system (alternator) must be upgraded to at least 48-Volts in order to better power air conditioners, microwaves, etc. Itís all moving in that direction but not fast enough for my taste. Many companies are holding on to 12-Volt systems because itís presently more common and cheaper, but 48V is slowly being adopted.

I recently read that the common aftermarket second alternator supplier plans to release a 48V alternator kit. Between that and 48V (nominal) batteries, we should see faster adoption of 48V in lieu of 12V.

.
All that really means is a ton more posts on here about "how many 6-V or 12-V and in series or parallel do I need to get my 48V system right??"
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2021 Mach-E
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #149
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 18,494
THOR #8860
More than I can count...

__________________
"The World is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams."
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #150
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,952
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
All that really means is a ton more posts on here about "how many 6-V or 12-V and in series or parallel do I need to get my 48V system right??"

Yeah, a switch to 48-Volt ďhouseĒ electrical in itself wonít reduce confusion, but with any luck RV manufacturers will find new ways to build on this upgrade and start cleaning up electrical design and make it simpler, easier to troubleshoot and cheaper to repair.

In my opinion RV manufacturers should strive for an ownership experience similar to electric cars with fewer things to worry about. Far too many owners donít understand how RVs work, or how to repair them. Like electric cars, anyone should be able to get in and drive away with minimal learning. The old mindset that you needed to know how to change a tire, do a tune-up or a brake job in order to own a car is obsolete. Same applies to RVs. The average person today isnít very handy with repairs of mechanical and electrical systems.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #151
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 18,494
THOR #8860
Owning an RV does require quite a bit of ability to deal with the various onboard systems.
Plumbing and hot water heaters
Freshwater supply
the tanks...
Leveling them
Slide operations
and then there's the power supply...

This is NOT a sport for the weak-willed. It takes involvement: not isolation.
__________________
"The World is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams."
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #152
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,952
THOR #2121
This thread was based on motorhomes without slides, leveling systems, or traditional generators. While they cost more and still require attention and work, itís a first step towards simplifying RV design so average people can own and enjoy them without so many repair hassles.

Theyíre not there yet, but moving in right direction. In any case, comparing to conventional campers makes little sense. These motorhomes are designed from the onset to be very different than the ones most forum members own.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #153
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 18,494
THOR #8860
Actually: it was about "New Lithium option for Thor B's".
Whatever form they take.
There's no real reason why a "B" couldn't have a slide, and I know of at least on manufacturer that offers leveling systems as an option.
There's room for everyone in this game... they'll eventually build an RV that'll be perfect for you too!
__________________
"The World is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams."
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #154
Senior Member
 
macdaddy1111's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
Posts: 274
THOR #13505
Going be fun to hear the nightmare stories on being 1st!
__________________

__________________
Retired Squid who has a retired squid that drives him around in a RV!
macdaddy1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×