Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 12:23 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #8573
Newbies

Just a simple question from a newbie. We have a thor ace 30.1 with hydrlic leveling jacks. Is ok to lift the front of the motor home right off the ground?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Just a simple question from a newbie. We have a thor ace 30.1 with hydrlic leveling jacks. Is ok to lift the front of the motor home right off the ground?
By the jack manufacturer - NO, by lots of people - No. In reality - not desired but if that's what it takes to get level you should be OK.

The reason you shouldn't do it is it narrows the stance points of the MH and may make it more "wobbly".
Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #3

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
Lots of post on this. It doesn't hurt anything to have the front wheels up. I would not want the rear wheels up.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:21 AM   #4

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Delaware
THOR #5616
I had my front wheels off the ground once, but it was only for a short period while I did some work on the coach. I have a nice set of heavy duty blocks that I would use if I was camping. I would feel much better personally using the blocks under the jacks to keep the wheels down.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:28 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I've had the front wheels off the ground many times. Many may disagree but if you're not on level ground you sometimes don't have a choice. Parking brake is on the rear wheels, don't recommend you get them off the ground!
Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 AM   #6
Site Team

State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
I had my front wheels off the ground once, but it was only for a short period while I did some work on the coach. I have a nice set of heavy duty blocks that I would use if I was camping. I would feel much better personally using the blocks under the jacks to keep the wheels down.
How would blocks under the jacks keep the wheels down?
Old 07-31-2017, 02:21 AM   #7

State: Virginia
THOR #7607
If the jacks weren't strong enough to do that, it wouldn't be able to get you leveled up. Getting level helps all the doors work easy. Its also tricky to stand up in the shower on a slippery surface when slanted. I suppose the fridge is suppose to level when using the gas operation, although we use it all the time going down the road.
I once saw a rig with 3 or 4 leveling blocks stacked under both of his front jacks. He was determined to have the "lake view" no matter how much trouble it was to get set up.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #971
My be u am confused here but placing more wood under the jacks does not stop the wheels from coming off the ground it just means you do not have to extend the hacks all the way out. The wheels will always be off the ground. I always place wood under my tires it is not a great idea to rock on the jacks. Just my point of view