Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2019, 02:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
thor hurricane tv antenna ????

what am I doing wrong... we go camp at the same spot....all My other coaches got quite a few channels,, and all came in clear...with the new thor… we're lucky to get one....and it keeps going in and out... little squares and such...
the led green light is lit in the cabinet above the dinette...It doesn't have the strength led lights like the jack antenna... so you just spin it around till it comes in best....am I missing something here, or do I need a better antenna???

Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I take it you have the King ant. that inside the coach is a white knob you turn so the ant. will rotate. The King ant. is very direction specific and it seem to be very sensitive. You may have to rotate the ant. many times to get the strongest signal and most stations. Remember that overtime you move the ant. you have to rescan the TV. You may also want to look under the ant. there is a small led light that shows you the ant. itself is getting the power. I have to do it at night our climb up and get close. Make sure the connections from the inside connection to the ant. head are all tight.

I am so upset with my ant. as Thor put it right next to the AC cover so I do not get anything when the ant. is pointed that way. I am now in the process of installing a omni directional ant. on the ladder. I has to be better.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Check to see if your antenna booster is on. On our 29M the booster is located at the end of the far left cabinet over the dinette. For us to use park cable the booster has to be off so the antenna is not competing with the cable.

We also changed the inside TVs to Samsung smart TVs, just changing the TVs gained us about 50% more channels.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I take it you have the King ant. that inside the coach is a white knob you turn so the ant. will rotate. The King ant. is very direction specific and it seem to be very sensitive. You may have to rotate the ant. many times to get the strongest signal and most stations. Remember that overtime you move the ant. you have to rescan the TV. You may also want to look under the ant. there is a small led light that shows you the ant. itself is getting the power. I have to do it at night our climb up and get close. Make sure the connections from the inside connection to the ant. head are all tight.

I am so upset with my ant. as Thor put it right next to the AC cover so I do not get anything when the ant. is pointed that way. I am now in the process of installing a omni directional ant. on the ladder. I has to be better.
is the red light on the ceiling, and thanks so much for the reply..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Check to see if your antenna booster is on. On our 29M the booster is located at the end of the far left cabinet over the dinette. For us to use park cable the booster has to be off so the antenna is not competing with the cable.

We also changed the inside TVs to Samsung smart TVs, just changing the TVs gained us about 50% more channels.
I have the green light in the cabinet on....but don't see a red light anywhere... so yu think it's the tv's and not the antenna???? and thanks for replying
Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #5

THOR #5437
No the red light is out side on the underbelly of the King ant. itsself
Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

THOR #12329
mine says winegard on it....???
Old 03-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #7

THOR #5437
Sorry thought you had the King ant. Can not help with Winegard.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Sorry thought you had the King ant. Can not help with Winegard.
thanks for trying...
I liked the way the king worked best, and it see to get more clear channels,.. this one you have to spin it around till you get a channel.. and then do the seach again...but if you are in a new area, you have to try and figure out where the tower is,
Old 03-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #9

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Try this for what direction to the towers, not perfect but a good place to start. Jim.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #10

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
There are some good apps out there. I use antenna point. It shows which direction you should point the antenna before you try to scan.