Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 04:18 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
No 12V Power Without 110V

I have a 2014 Thor Vegas. I currently have no power from my house batteries unless I am hooked up to shore power. Once I disconnect shore power I no longer have any 12V, except cab items. I thought that maybe the house batteries are bad, although they are fairly new. I checked the batteries and they are charged. I wonder if the disconnect switch is stuck and this is the problem? Anybody ever had that problem?

Old 03-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
There should be a battery connect switch somewhere on your coach. Depending on your model, this switch is often located in the step well on the rear panel. Other Vegas owners will be able to help you with the precise location.

Typically there will be a LED on that panel. If the LED is on, the batteries are connected to the system. If the LED is off, they are disconnected.

And when you depress the switch, you should hear a "clunk" somewhere in the coach, which would be the contactor connecting the batteries.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
There is no LEDs to indicate if the house battery is on or off.

The disconnect switch is right next to the door. If you are standing outside about to take a step into the coach look for a switch on the kitchen panel to the left of the door under the pop up shelf that is labelled "Use" and "Store". It is a momentary contact switch; simply press it in to the "Use" side and you'll hear the clunk as the relay clicks on (the relay is located inside the black box in the drivers side outside storage compartment).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
That is what I love about these coaches... no two units are alike.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

THOR #1670
Pressing the disconnect switch does nothing
Old 03-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
That would probably be the problem. The contactor may not be engaging. Not sure if there is a fuse on the coil of the contactor or not.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Your problem likely lies in the fuse panel in the drivers side front storage:

Diagram:

Circuitboard:

(I had posted these images in another topic around here along with a document I found about that circuit board including diagnostics...sigh if I find it I'll post a link..)

Ah, found it:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...-box-1203.html
Old 03-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
There's a reset switch for the batteries located inside the battery compartment on the left side. Small box with a reset button. Try that if not a fuse issue.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #9

THOR #1123
The reset button is the small, red one near the battery on left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	323  
Old 03-25-2015, 01:06 AM   #10

THOR #1670
cannot see it, is it near that rectangular block?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:02 AM   #11

THOR #1123
Sorry about the picture quality. Yes, it is on the rectangular block close to the battery. Left side after lifting the battery compartment cover. Small, red, reset button that disconnects/reconnects the 12v coach batteries.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:23 AM   #12

THOR #1670
I am hooked up to shore power, my house batteries show 12.3 volts, which i understand is not fully charged. does charging take place with the disconnect switch in standby mode?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I wouldn't think the charger would be connected if the battery is in standby as usually everything is disconnected from the battery at that point.

Typically a lead acid battery is 100% charged at 12.6V, 50% charged at 12.2v and fully discharged under 12V. However, the voltage test is only accurate on a disconnected battery at rest for at least 1 hour with no load or charger connected during the rest period (24 hours rest is better, but 1 hour gives you a reasonably accurate reading).

12.3V to me indicates a somewhat discharged battery.

Battery charge voltage is typically around 13.5V or so. If your DC converter was hooked to the battery and on shorepower, you should measure 13.5V or higher (depending on the converter charge mode), which would indicate the shorepower converter is maintaining a charge on the battery.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
In addition, if you start the engine you should see about 14.4 V on both batteries.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:01 AM   #15

Model: 28z
State: Washington
THOR #2161
This is where the battery controller is located on a Thor Four Winds 28Z - it's behind the circuit breaker panel in the rear bedroom. There's a 5 amp fuse - that when blown - will not allow you to connect your house batteries. So you would only have 12V available if you were plugged into AC power. I blew my 5a fuse when changing out the new disconnect switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7877.JPG
Views:	1003
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7879.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	511  

Old 10-04-2015, 05:16 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #1494
Experiencing similar problem with our 2014 axis.]Even with all batteries fully charged, engine and generator do not always start. All electrical terminals are clean. Cant figure out. Wondering if solution would lie in reset switch, as described here or relay circuit board. If a fuse is blown, the problem would not be intermittent. Afraid to take it out on a trip wondering if it will completely die on us. Problem is intermittent
Old 10-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #17

Model: 28z
State: Washington
THOR #2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Experiencing similar problem with our 2014 axis.]Even with all batteries fully charged, engine and generator do not always start. All electrical terminals are clean. Cant figure out. Wondering if solution would lie in reset switch, as described here or relay circuit board. If a fuse is blown, the problem would not be intermittent. Afraid to take it out on a trip wondering if it will completely die on us. Problem is intermittent
Sounds like you are on the right track - suspecting a "reset switch" or even a circuit breaker. I've seen 20a-30a circuit breakers on RV's be intermittent. Sometimes depending on temperature or humidity - they can work, or not work. Check all the CB's and see if any don't have that fresh, solid "click" to them. If they are sloppy, loose or don't have a defined click -they are suspect.

Sam
Old 10-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #1494
Thank you
Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 AM   #19

Model: 28A
State: Florida
THOR #4995
2015 Four Winds 28A

I thought I had a similar problem so I am reaching out for help. I emailed Thor directly through the owners link on their website Monday and still no word.
My RV was connected all last week while I worked on the body (clear coat faded very bad and oxidization was really bad). anyways....
when I disconnected shore power the batt was dead. Replaced battery.
(it was tested and advance auto said it was beyond charging...walmart battery)
-- replaced with a new one. Still nothing worked. Took it back since walmart batteries are notorious for not working. so Second battery was good and tested. still nothing!

I started trouble shooting fuses and relays. found a relay was super hot so I replaced it. Nothing.
All I hear is the battery switch clunk from use to store. LED panel does not show any battery power.

Found two 40A fuses (under dinette seat where fuse panel is) blown. SO i found where my problem starts. I continue to blow new fuses.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction on what the two 40A fuses power? The panel does not say nor does the RV manual. all other breakers are labeled and identified.

I will add some pictures soon if necessary.
Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie2380 View Post
Found two 40A fuses (under dinette seat where fuse panel is) blown. SO i found where my problem starts. I continue to blow new fuses.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction on what the two 40A fuses power? The panel does not say nor does the RV manual. all other breakers are labeled and identified.

I will add some pictures soon if necessary.
Any help is very much appreciated.
The 40A fuses are there for protection in case the battery connections are reversed (positive and negative leads on the wrong battery posts).