Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #2984
Question No cold water in shower

My husband and I have only had our 2014 Thor Tuscany for 7 months. We did a six week trip in mid-Jan-March and then parked it in the storage lot. We had a few incidents that we need some advice on.

1) Four weeks after we parked it in the storage lot, I went to start the engine & run the generator. Engine started fine. Generator did not start at all. Apparently house batteries were dead and so generator wouldn't start. Really, the generator won't start if house batteries are dea. That doesn't seem right. Comments?

And my husband is sure he turned off the house batteries. Is there anything else that would cause the house batteries to die?

2) We went out again this weekend with shore power and got the house batteries charged and the generator to run. All was well there. When I went to take a shower, we had lots of hot scalding water, but no cold water in the shower. We had cold water elsewhere, but not in the shower? And ideas?

3) General question. Our front A/C unit doesn't seem to keep the coach cool up front. Back one works great. Any ideas?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. We need it!

Janis Connell
Austin, TX

Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I believe that it is common practice to not connect camping items, such as the generator to the chassis battery. This is done to prevent the chassis battery from being discharged and leaving you stranded, unable to start the motorhome. That is how mine is wired.

Many things are connected to the house batteries and not all are disconnected by the battery disconnect switch. To be really safe you could disconnect the negative lead from the battery.

As to the shower, follow the plumbing back to see where the blockage or disconnect is. It seems that a disconnect would result in some noticeable water where it shouldn't be. I can't think of any reason the cold water would be shut off.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:27 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
What kind of valve do you have for the shower, can you take it apart and make sure it's working properly. Is it seperate valves for hot and cold, if so take the cold valve apart, it might be cloged.