Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Help! HOT Water doesn't stay hot

What would I do without this forum and all the generous members who help me.

We just started out to Florida on our first trip with the new Hurricane 31S. Stopped in Virginia and looking forward to my first shower in the new coach.

The water stayed hot for . . . 10 seconds. In the kitchen sink and the lav sink, same thing. Hot for a few seconds and then cold.

I put 110 volt on and LP gas on and opened the screen and saw that the heat is there and gas is going on. But no hot water this morning. A little warm after 10 minutes working.

Any ideas on whats up with the hot water? Something is working but doesn't stay working. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Also, does anyone have issues with a kind of haze in the room when the furnace working? Smoke detector doesn't go off and carbon monoxide alarm doesn't go off but my wife and I are apprehensive. The dog sleeps thru everything, fortunately. He is not a worry wart.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Water staying hot for a very short period of time usually indicates that your bypass valves aren't set right (it is likely that the crossover valve is open).

Is this the first time the furnace has run in a while? Many times when the furnace kicks off after not being used during the summer there is a slight burnt smell (and some haze/smoke) as the dust that has settled in it is burnt off. Usually that goes away.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I agree with JamieGeek, check the water heater bypass valves. Here is a pic of what they should look like in normal operating mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WH2.JPG
Views:	773
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1139
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #2240
Hi Buzz,
Another thing to check is all the shower heads (inside and out) that they are not ON at the Faucets, with the switch on the actual head in the OFF position. This would allow hot & cold to constantly mix.

Just a thought...

Tex
Old 12-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Interesting you mention the shower heads. I was just de-winterizing my coach to roll down the road in the morning and after connecting the water and moving my valve to city water I took an unwelcome cold outside shower because when I dry winterized last week I forgot to turn off the outside shower valve.

Even old timers experience a goof up once in a while.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-10-2015, 12:18 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Thanks for all the advice. Everything turned out to be just what you all thought it was. Dave, thanks for that photo. I did have the valves wrong so that was very helpful.

We were stopped at the Wytheville, VA KOA and I want to mention that the manager there is really knowledgeable, has a background in a field that gives him insight. He came over and spent a half hour with me finding where things were. One thing he really helped with was finding that the intake filter for the water pump was loose and sucking air so the pump didn't bring the water. So much for the dealer spending hours checking every little thing before they deliver to you.

Thanks again! I can't even say how much I appreciate having this forum and the generosity of the contributors.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz102 View Post

We were stopped at the Wytheville, VA KOA and I want to mention that the manager there is really knowledgeable, has a background in a field that gives him insight. ...
I know the place well and you are correct the manger and his wife (the owners) are definitely nice folks.

If you are not aware of the site RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks is an excellent place to record comments, good or bad, about campgrounds.

Glad we could help.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #8

State: Michigan
THOR #15999
Hot water not coming on

I have a Thor Axis, when hooked up to electricity the hot water is not coming on. I think it’s a switch or valve, I just don’t know where. Trying to avoid one more trip back to the dealer. Any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester55 View Post
I have a Thor Axis, when hooked up to electricity the hot water is not coming on. I think it’s a switch or valve, I just don’t know where. Trying to avoid one more trip back to the dealer. Any suggestions?
So it comes on when not hooked up to electricity?

Your water heater can heat water either by:
Propane gas - doesn't matter if you are connected to shore power
120 VAC electric - must be connected to shore power
In either case you must have 12 VDC on the DC buss for control power. This can be supplied by your battery if not on shore power and the USE/STORE switch is in USE; or by the converter if you are connected to shore power.

If the water heater works on GAS but not on Electric then you may have the heating element burned out (just like in a house electric water heater).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater