Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
no shore power

I have checked the breaker boxes outside, all good. The inside breaker switches were not tripped but flipped them off anyway, let them sit a few seconds, the flipped back on. Nothing. I have solar and when it is on I have power to all my plug ins. Where else should I check as to why my shore power is out?
I have a 2014 Hurricane 27K

Old 07-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKnative View Post
I have checked the breaker boxes outside, all good. The inside breaker switches were not tripped but flipped them off anyway, let them sit a few seconds, the flipped back on. Nothing. I have solar and when it is on I have power to all my plug ins. Where else should I check as to why my shore power is out?
I have a 2014 Hurricane 27K

Solar should not have any impact on your AC so I don’t understand that issue. Do you have power when running the generator? Tracing an electrical failure is pretty easy with a multi- meter. Start at the park pedestal outlet and keep testing connections until you get to the onboard fuse box. There’s probably a failure in your shore power cable or the ATS.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #3

THOR #3772
Yes, I have power on the generator. I have a digital multimeter but do not know how to use it (belonged to my husband). I have the manual but not familiar with terms. Got black plugged in to COM but red has 2 different plugs, 10A & VmAF (some other symbols not in my key pad). There are 4 areas to dial into V, upside down U, Batt. and =A.
Can you help guide me through it? I am parked in the back of a Moose Lodge and no one around to ask who might know.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #4

THOR #3772
Just went and bought a new extension cord and that solved the problem. The old one (6 yrs old) apparently Had a short so even tho it had juice, was not making a good connection with my newer cord that plugs into my RV.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:15 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Just went and bought a new extension cord and that solved the problem. The old one (6 yrs old) apparently Had a short so even tho it had juice, was not making a good connection with my newer cord that plugs into my RV.
Glad you got power back! Enjoy your trip.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:53 AM   #6

THOR #6826
Quote:
Yes, I have power on the generator. I have a digital multimeter but do not know how to use it (belonged to my husband). I have the manual but not familiar with terms. Got black plugged in to COM but red has 2 different plugs, 10A & VmAF (some other symbols not in my key pad). There are 4 areas to dial into V, upside down U, Batt. and =A.
Can you help guide me through it? I am parked in the back of a Moose Lodge and no one around to ask who might know.

Well, if you are not familiar with that you maybe shouldn’t do the level of testing I was suggesting. AC current is dangerous and testing wire connections requires getting right down into it. Don’t want you to get hurt!

But you’ve already made good progress. Since you have power when on the generator you know that everything “downstream” of the ATS (automatic transfer switch) is working properly. The ATS is the very first thing on the coach that the pedestal power cord goes to. SO...you really only have three possible problems. First, the pedestal power might not be working - can you try plugging into a different power source? Second, you might have a problem in your power cord - the connections in the ends occasionally go bad. There isn’t an easy way to check this without using your meter other than just examining the plug and maybe wiggling it when plugged in to see if the power can be restored. Third is the ATS. It might have failed but more likely there is just a loose connection inside it. Again though there isn’t a really good way to check it without taking the cover off and testing. Which is quite dangerous if you’ve not done it before. If it’s not the shore power I’m afraid I have to recommend you call in the cavalry for a rescue. Fortunately it should be pretty easy for an experienced tech to diagnose. Good luck
Old 07-30-2020, 02:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
The red goes into the VmAF jack for almost all measuring. Checkout some Youtube videos.

Your ATS and almost all your electrical components are under the seat in front of the bathroom. There should be a piece of plywood under the cushion held down by a couple of phillips head screws.

Grad you got it fixed with a new cord. BTW, the old cord was "open" not shorted. If shorted it would have been smoking and tripping pedestal breakers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:22 AM   #8

THOR #6826
Glad you’re all fixed up and that it was simple!

Tags
110 power