Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum PD31
State: Florida
THOR #6430
Auto-Gen-Start

I have a 2016 Quantum with auto-gen-start and 4kw ONAN gas. I've set auto start setting at 12-volt and when not connected to shore power and battery voltage drops below 12-volt generator attempts to start, but acts like insufficient voltage and won't start after 4 attempts.
Auto-Gen-Start manual shows separate battery for generator and not connected to house batteries. It appears the generator IS connected to house batteries and is not going to start with a low battery situation.
Anyone else had similar issues or a resolution?
If we park overnight without shore power house batteries are dead in the morning and residential fridge is not cooling. Don't want to run generator all night to keep fridge cold!

Old 03-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
will the generator start normally otherwise?

if so, when the AGS tries to start the generator, try pushing your AUX button on your dash at the same time(if you have one)... this ties the chassis(vehicle) batteries and the coach(house) batteries together for greater starting power.

otherwise, it sounds like there is no fuel getting to the generator( a plugged or clogged fuel filter, etc), or the spark plugs are not getting any 'spark'(electricity)...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
also, try setting your VOLTS to a higher number, say 12.5, just to see if the generator will start at that voltage... this might be a tip off if the lower number is not sufficient since this is a dual battery system, instead of 4 batteries.

also, you can change the status from ENABLE, to TEST, to see if it will start it at anytime you want to test it...
Old 03-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #4

Model: Quantum PD31
State: Florida
THOR #6430
The generator will start from Coleman control panel under house battery low voltage condition. I cannot set AGS above 12-volt that's highest setting.
Pushing the auxiliary battery switch defeats the purpose of AGS if I'm not awake at midnight when batteries run low.
Thanks for the suggestions. Still puzzled why it won't start from AGS but will from remote start.
I did set the high temp start to a lower setting and enabled the AGS and it started in about 10-seconds.